Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
a product that is used to change lens in a dusty or damp environment

i found this product on Just Limited - Cleaning Products for Cameras and all Optical Equipment. it is called a camerabivvy

10-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
looks interesting....
10-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Banned

neat concept, but I don't think I could be bothered setting that up for every lens change... that portable air filter is nice though! I could use that when doing lens repairs, cleaning sensors, or changing focusing screens.
10-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
pretty interesting, here is the direct link :

Just Limited Sensor Cleaning Aids

10-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Hinky friggin website.
That definitely looks like a solution to a non existent problem. I think people get a little too anal about dust.
It's not like as if it's going to wreck your camera, and as soon as you open that bag to put a camera into it, it's going to fill with dust anyway.
10-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Hinky friggin website.
That definitely looks like a solution to a non existent problem. I think people get a little too anal about dust.
Depends on where you live.

It's not like as if it's going to wreck your camera, and as soon as you open that bag to put a camera into it, it's going to fill with dust anyway.
Did you miss the battery powered HEPA air filter unit inside the tent?

Thank you
Russell
10-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Depends on where you live.

Did you miss the battery powered HEPA air filter unit inside the tent?

Thank you
Russell
I live in what is classified as a semi arid desert.
Did you miss that you have to open the thing to get your camera into it? Kinda defeats the purpose of keeping dust out no matter what kind of filter it has.

10-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Did you miss that you have to open the thing to get your camera into it? Kinda defeats the purpose of keeping dust out no matter what kind of filter it has.
Let me think this though, you open the tent up to put the camera and battery powered filter in. You turn on the filter and zip the tent closed. You wait until the air has filtered, and then do whatever you are going to do sticking your hands in the hand holes. Maybe you stick your hands in the hand holes and then wait for the air to filter with them in? A 80mm computer fan is about 20-24 CFM, so that is a wait of 10-30 seconds. Seems reasonable to me.

I am just not be seeing what you are seeing and missing the point still. Can you explain how this doesn't work?

Thank you
Russell
10-09-2009, 04:11 AM   #9
Banned

Let me think this though, you open the tent up to put the camera and battery powered filter in. You turn on the filter and zip the tent closed. You wait until the air has filtered, and then do whatever you are going to do sticking your hands in the hand holes. Maybe you stick your hands in the hand holes and then wait for the air to filter with them in? A 80mm computer fan is about 20-24 CFM, so that is a wait of 10-30 seconds. Seems reasonable to me.

I am just not be seeing what you are seeing and missing the point still. Can you explain how this doesn't work?

Thank you
Russell
now add up all that time, compared to just quickly swapping lenses. even after a few lens changes you have spent quite an amount of time., and may have still exposed both your camera and lenses to dust or soemthing else.
10-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you
Russell
The problem I am seeing, from a workability POV is that you are hoping that the fan is strong enough to actually pull dust into the filter and not just set up a breeze in the changing bag that will pick the dust up and move it around.
If the fan is moving dust, there is as good a chance it will find it's way into the camera as it will into the filter, and in the meantime, you are taking a fairly significant amount of time to switch lenses.
I'm not seeing how it's going to do very much to keep dust out of a camera, and frankly, I think one would be better served by using a rocket blower (if that is your choice) or canned gas (my tool of choice) to dust the sensor periodically.
10-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
now add up all that time, compared to just quickly swapping lenses. even after a few lens changes you have spent quite an amount of time., and may have still exposed both your camera and lenses to dust or soemthing else.
The time you wait for the air to filter, the camera isn't opened, it is just sitting there. There just isn't "all that time" to add up as the camera is open for the same amount of time, the time it takes to swap lenses.

Thank you
Russell
10-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The problem I am seeing, from a workability POV is that you are hoping that the fan is strong enough to actually pull dust into the filter
My CPU and even the really small GPU fans seem to collect quite a bit of dust so I'm willing to entertain the idea. That is one cleaning chore I don't look forward to.

As to whether the product works as advertised, I don't know. I just didn't see an issue with the principle that you seemed to have in your earlier posts, so was curious what the issue you saw was. If it is just the Ronco idea of the thing, well OK, whatever.

Thank you
Russell
10-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
Banned

The time you wait for the air to filter, the camera isn't opened, it is just sitting there. There just isn't "all that time" to add up as the camera is open for the same amount of time, the time it takes to swap lenses.

Thank you
Russell
be serious, and stop trying to dodge the reality. while you are sitting their in the field waiting for this thing to clear the air, the time it takes to setup, and put this thing away each time. add it all up my friend. over just a short period of time, this is a LOT of time spent doing something other than photographing. what happens if you go to swap lenses and then need to get back to the "action" in a split second (insert whatever type of photographic situation here) what are you going to do? your going to swap lenses in the outside enviornment. are you not?

im not saying its a stupid idea, im saying its not the best, not the quickest, and is going to put the photographer in a situation where he/she has to bypass it. there by making its design a bit too slow and cumbersome for the field. period. I know you can see it, you just dont want to admit, for some odd reason.
10-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
be serious, and stop trying to dodge the reality.
We are or were talking about the principle of operation of the unit, so that was how my mind was tracking. As you apparently were discussing the pretty obvious of how much longer it takes to set up, I missed your point. I just didn't see anyone needing to point this out, so it never would have occurred to me that you would be talking about it. My bad.

Thank you
Russell
10-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
Banned

We are or were talking about the principle of operation of the unit, so that was how my mind was tracking. As you apparently were discussing the pretty obvious of how much longer it takes to set up, I missed your point. I just didn't see anyone needing to point this out, so it never would have occurred to me that you would be talking about it. My bad.

Thank you
Russell
not just setup, but use and put away. they are all a part of the system. a system which is going to cost you a great deal of time added up over a short period of time compared to simply swapping the lens. it could (as I described) put you in a situation where you have no choice but to bypass it. you cant possibly leave it setup and running. it would get in the way, and the batteries would I assume not last too long running continuously. your only thinking of the benefit and not the whole situation. you are obviously not giving any attempt to imagine how this thing might be used in the field. in my opinion dodging that reality. again, im not saying its a bad idea, nor am I trying to dog you for obviously liking the idea... simply that I dont believe (and im not the only one) that this is a better soluton in the field than simply quickly swapping lenses.

Last edited by séamuis; 10-09-2009 at 11:48 AM.