Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
just for fun, i weighed my big bag, the Slingshot 300AW with every piece of gear i own inside. It holds everything in my signature plus a large rocket blower and battery charger, AF540FGZ flash, an array of memory cards, spare batteries, all my filters, a set of extension tubes and lens hoods, and there is still room to spare. anyway, fully laden(minus the tripod), it comes in at 15 lbs, which is too heavy for my to hike around, but certainly doable for transporting everything in my car or a short distance to my shoot.

for the zoo outing yesterday, i wore my camera on my shoulder the whole time and brought just a small shoulder bag which holds 3 additional lenses plus the large flash. that was a piece of cake to lug around and i still could push the baby in her stroller.

10-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got mine weighing in at 17.2, thought that's without the camcorder that usually resides in it and still with enough room for one more lens or flash. So figure I'm at 20+ easily. Fully loaded it will dig, but something that really surprised me was that letting that sucker hang loose helps a lot. Because of my size, I can let the strap all of the way out, and it will only hang down just below my hip, but it really does dig a whole lot less. Just bangs around on my leg a bit.
10-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #18
Pentaxian

i just got my bag today and scored a second one for Gus. it seems to be the right size for hikes and whatnot, but i don't know how Russell Evans got so much stuff in the bag. dude, that is amazing! i am going to try rotating the dividers and see what that does. if you do that, won't the camera bang into all the lenses, especially when the pack is turned sideways into carry position?
10-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

psst, we found a local place selling these bags new for $45. crazy! pm me and i will hook you up with a phone number.

10-13-2009, 09:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i just got my bag today and scored a second one for Gus. it seems to be the right size for hikes and whatnot, but i don't know how Russell Evans got so much stuff in the bag. dude, that is amazing! i am going to try rotating the dividers and see what that does. if you do that, won't the camera bang into all the lenses, especially when the pack is turned sideways into carry position?
I just turned the side dividers so that you can slide long lenses/flash in through the side door. There is plenty of padding and nothing bumps or rubs. The flaps on the center sections keeps things from moving around.
10-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #21
Pentaxian

thanks dave. i played with it a bit and came up with something that works great for me. i ended up rotating one side and leaving the other, and then added a velcro flap to cover the 2 lenses that were open to the camera. i will go with this config for a bit and see if it works for me.
10-14-2009, 04:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
thanks dave. i played with it a bit and came up with something that works great for me. i ended up rotating one side and leaving the other, and then added a velcro flap to cover the 2 lenses that were open to the camera. i will go with this config for a bit and see if it works for me.
I once walked to the car across the parking lot with the flap opened and the bag slung over my shoulder. Just about had a heart attack when realized it. Really I felt like I was going to puke.

The camera and lenses didn't even move out of position. The reason I think they didn't move is because as you add weight to the bag, the one sided strap forces a twist into the bag and slots. This holds the lenses in place. It collapses the slots around the lenses.

Even with my two strap conversion, my lenses aren't showing any signs of any issue of movement in the slots. I do place the longer lenses towards the back of the bag away from the camera, as the rear lens caps do stick out of top of the slots.

Thank you
Russell