Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love my Slingshot 200 AW

I just re-stuffed my Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW for a job on Sunday. I was able to put the K20d wearing a Sigma 17-70, a K1000, a K100D, an AF280T flash, a Sigma 70-300 Macro, a Pentax DA 18-55, and a Pentax M50 f/1.4 all inside the main compartment. Lens hoods are on all the lenses except the M50.

I've got spare batteries, three CP filters, a ND filter, charger, USB cable, video cable, viewfinder cover all inside the upper compartment. In the front zipper pouch, I've got more batteries, the Pentax software disks for the K20, warranty information (such as deadlines for maintenance,) a LumiQuest pocket bouncer, model releases, and a lens cleaning kit.

Holy crap! I had no idea I could cram that much in there!! The best part? Most of it was purchased with a gift card so it ended up only costing me $7!

10-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a great bag. I love mine except for what you have discovered. You can stuff a lot of gear in it, and it can get very heavy on long photowalks.

I weighed mine in at 10 pounds even with a K100DS, 16-45, 55-300, A50, Sigma 10-20, two flashes and misc stuff.
10-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree - it does get heavy. I find myself very appreciative of the cross strap when it's loaded down. Yeah, it does take away some of the usefulness of the sling function, but it sure does make it more comfortable.
10-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
I agree - it does get heavy. I find myself very appreciative of the cross strap when it's loaded down. Yeah, it does take away some of the usefulness of the sling function, but it sure does make it more comfortable.
The strap is two inch webbing with a D ring sown on one end and a loop sown in the other. There are two triangular cutouts in the female main waist buckle of the bag, the top one will be used to mount the strap. The strap is looped through the top handle of the bag, the end with the sown loop threaded through the D ring, and then a tie wrap is threaded though the top triangular cutout and the sown loop in the strap.. Add a shoulder strap pad and it is very comfortable. The pad is a $15 black Timbuk2 bought at REI.

What I normally have in the bag and why I wanted a second strap. Not shown are the Spectralight flash diffuser and Shutter Hat. I keep them in with the AW cover as they are flat and aren't something I need all the time. I think the loaded bag weighs in at 15 pounds

Rotating the dividers to make getting into the AW 200 Slingshot easy.

Thank you
Russell

10-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried rotating the dividers for a while, but found that my small M50 would bounce around too much. I ended up turning them back around so that the 50 sits on top of the 18-55, so neither one of them move when the flap is closed.
10-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

i am going to order the 200AW next week - i know it is a good bag because bought a nearly new Slingshot 300AW for $50 and really like the features and quality. I was also surprised at the amazing capacity of the 300 but would find the 200 more practical on hikes when i just want 2 or three lenses, not my entire rig, which can fit completely in the 300 with room to spare.

I like the sling style for lens changes where it gives me a "table" right in front of me so i dont have to search for a place on the ground to set things down when i am carrying a backpack.

i will keep the big bag to store everything at home and for outings where i am car based. these are a winner and well designed.

Last edited by mikeSF; 10-08-2009 at 10:31 PM.
10-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
big bag to store everything at home
I use open shelves to store everything as these spaces are not dark enclosed dead air that will bring forth mould...

10-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I use open shelves to store everything as these spaces are not dark enclosed dead air that will bring forth mould...
we dont get any mold here. Relative humidity is sometimes as low as 15%, often in the 30-40's. i have a "camera cabinet" with shelves, but like the idea of keeping things in a padded case without dust intrusion...we DO have plenty of dust.
10-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

sweet! i just scored a brand new 200AW for $42 on eBay, local pickup.
10-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
sweet! i just scored a brand new 200AW for $42 on eBay, local pickup.
Nice! Now that's a good deal.
10-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great deal Mike ... you'll love it. I use mine everyday as my go to work bag. My K20d and lenses go everywhere with me.
10-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I like the sling style for lens changes where it gives me a "table" right in front of me so i dont have to search for a place on the ground to set things down when i am carrying a backpack.
I, too, like this feature of sling bags, but don't care for the sling shoulder strap. The FastPack series offers the best of both backpack + sling worlds: easy access like a sling (simply slip one's arm out of the right shoulder strap), more comfortable carrying like a backpack. I also like that the top cavity in the FastPack isn't photo-dedicated (though you can certainly use it for gear. YMMV.

It's missing some other features I like on other bags (e.g. D-rings for clipping a "neck" strap to the shoulder straps), but there's no perfect bag for me, unfortunately.
10-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love mine also but have busted the zippers stuffing it so full:-(. I'm still using it but it looks funny with the safety pins stuck all in it. I'm going for the 300 next.
10-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
Igilligan

Mike if they have a second one...

I will take it!!!

Great score on the bag. I have just missed two of them on this forum...

'But someday I will score one!
10-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It is a nice bag, but if you over load it , it certainly will dig into your shoulder. I bought a proper backpack from the marketplace for heavier trail use and for flying (it has a laptop compartment).