Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Help w/SLIK Pistol Grip ballhead

I tried searching but the mobile results were nonexistent (tho I did get to see the nifty tag search...and how popular the tags add and sexy are LOL) so forgive me if this has been covered.

I recently acquired this Ballhead attached to a tripod but am not sure how to remove the QR plate. It looks to be model AF1200, but searching turned up no downloadable guide from SLIK. Honestly I'm wondering if it works properly, given that there seems to be glue on the head.

Anyway, I see the switch that says "release" and there seems to be a button on the opposite end...but then what? The plate doesn't lift. What else do I need to do???
I'll try to supply pictures later tonight if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

10-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the AF2100, so perhaps this will help...

Does the plate have a small white dot on the vertical side? If so, you need to line up the dots from the plate and the pistol grip. The button is the safety release to remove the plate from the grip.

This might help: 618210 Slik AF2100 Pistol Grip Head with Quick Release

If not, it might be this unit, the AF1100: 618210 Slik AF2100 Pistol Grip Head with Quick Release
10-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Lmao

PLEASE tell me that was intentional, posting a link to the same thing twice, so as to point out what a bafoon I am. YES, it is the AF2100 that I have. I'd like to say it was the posting from my phone that caused the slip-up there, but I even looked over the message afterward.

Anyway, in looking at the QR plate earlier, I did see a tiny white dot on the side! I rotated so that it was facing away from my hand, but didn't notice anything else with which to line it up. Since it's late and the rig is in the car right now, I'll have to take another look at it tomorrow.

I thank you profusely for your response, Marc Langille!!
10-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

xico,

This should help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 10-08-2009 at 10:36 PM.
10-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK, now I feel completely foolish, as the first day i noticed the white dot w/arrows near the grip, and yesterday i noticed the small white dot on the plate, but never did it occur to me to try to line them up! After pressing the safety button, I had success...and found the underside needs to be cleaned. LOL

Thank you both for your responses!
10-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, when attached and "locked" the plate still rotates. Would getting a new one fix the problem, or should I start saving for a new head now...?
10-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It should rotate when the locking button (Rotating Camera Side Lock) on the grip is not depressed/pushed down - that is normal...

Let us know what position it's in!

Regards,
Marc

10-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xixco Quote
Well, when attached and "locked" the plate still rotates. Would getting a new one fix the problem, or should I start saving for a new head now...?
xixco,

Let me check mine tomorrow. I shall get back to you.

Mickey
10-13-2009, 06:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

xixco,

It is now tomorrow.

I can only suggest that the Rotating Camera Platform Slide Lock has not been pushed down all the way and therefore does not lock the platform.
Perhaps a good cleaning of all exposed components with the Camera Platform removed might help.

You can force it to turn when it is locked if you try verrry hard. I doubt that any camera/lens combination would exert that kind of force.

But, regardless of what the problem may be, I think the AF2100 is well worth having repaired or, at least, getting a quote for its repair.

Mickey
10-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm sorry I wasn't clear before, but the switch is in the Lock position, but again, this is the area on the grip/head where there seems to be dried glue (or grease?) of some sort, which makes me wonder if someone didn't do their own repair to it before it ended up in my possession. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. I essentially got the head for free with the legs (based on price), but was hoping it would still work out in my favor. Myabe not.

Thanks again for all responses!
10-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
The QR plate isn't being "pulled down all the way" when the head is set to "locked." The metal flange to which it attaches recesses 1mm, maybe 2 at most.

I removed the black plate in the center of the flange, and could clearly see that moving the switch is moving the mechanism underneath as it should, so I can only guess that there is dirt or build-up preventing the flange from depressing properly.

I don't have a macro, and my attempts to hand-hold my 50mm lens in reverse were not working, so these are the best shots I got. The third shows the grease-looking glue(?) near the switch.

unlocked

???

mickeyobe, your suggestion is probably the best solution. Too bad I can't afford a fix right now.
10-26-2009, 04:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

xixco,

I have checked my Slik Pistol Grip. The chrome ring on the Quick Release plate moves barely 1 mm so yours seems to be functioning properly.

I have some suggestions:

The rubber flange that surrounds the chrome ring in my pistol grip is very clean and smooth. Yours appears to be otherwise. Perhaps some fine sandpaper judiciously applied might resolve the problem. Be sure to block any orifices into which the removed material migh fall. The same would apply to the bottom of the camera platform.

The chrome wing nut in the camera platform might not be seating all the way down also as a result of foreign matter. It should be almost flush with the rim at the bottom of the platform. Check it with a straightedge.

Is the quick release button moving freely and returning to its proper position when it is released and is the track in which it rides on the pan head completely clean? Something might be blocking its travel.

Good luck,

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 10-26-2009 at 10:10 AM.
09-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #13
44Edward

My SLIK head will not lock - is there a repair center

My SLIK head will not lock - is there a repair center

When I use the LOCK trigger it doesn't seem to lock the camera down; there is still some rotational movement. The Release button also started acting up but I managed to clean it and got it working.

Any repair centers for SLIK AF2100