Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #1

AA-powered K20D battery grip

I'm in the market for a battery grip for my K20D. I've searched on eBay, and found some nice Phottix units that cost a bit more than the supercheapies, but replicate the two scroll wheel controls (the supercheapies don't).
However, every grip I've found so far only takes a LiIon battery of the same type you put in the camera. This doesn't look terribly useful to me; if I manage to run out of power I can just take the grip off, replace the battery and screw the grip back on. With the battery life of modern DSLRs even a very hard day of shooting is seriously unlikely to require more than one battery swap, if that.

An AA-powered grip à la Canon would be better, but I can't seem to find any. Do they even exist?

10-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fallingwater Quote
An AA-powered grip à la Canon would be better, but I can't seem to find any. Do they even exist?
OwnUser DX-FBH is the only one I know of.

Thank you
Russell
10-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
No scroll wheels. Poo.

Also, why twelve AAs? Six to eight would be enough...

If there aren't others, I'll get the LiIon adapter and see if I can hack it to support AAs in some way.
10-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
with the minolta NP400 batteries and some better quality chinese batteries so cheap why would you bother? I bought 2 SIDO batteries i think they cost $22usd for the pair delivered, and they last almost the same as the pentax one, if you are worried about the chinese ones then find some genuine minolta ones i think on the last count they were about $10usd each new!

Just my thoughts..

Steve

10-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #5

Are any of these off brand grips any good? I've been looking at them because the Pentax one is over $100, but at the same time, I don't want junk that will break on me after one day's use.
10-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the real deal. Pentax grips retain the WR capability and the button/e-dial quality is second to none.
I don't see the virtue of going AA when Li-ion batteries are more reliable. There's no job I can think of that will chew away all the power out of 2 fully charged Li-ion batteries in a day.
10-13-2009, 05:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
I've ordered a Phottix (LiIon) grip. It has all the features of the Pentax, including the buttons and dual scroll wheels. And yes, it does have the three metal pins - the cheaper ones don't and only stay in place due to the main connector.
We'll see how it is.