Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Spider Camera Holster review on Engadget - Be like the cowboy you always wanted to be

Now this is an interesting product that is yet to be launched. I can easily see the merits both for and against it and I am sure some other forum members will be keen to debate how useful it really is.

Can see this as being handy for some shoots. Not so good on others. Pending on the camera and length of the lens.

Spider Pro Camera Holster Review

Even comes complete with a "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" soundtrack on the second video.

10-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would buy the soundtrack but not the holster.
10-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to check these out at the Photoplus Expo. I have my reservations. While it looks like a good idea, my concern is the lack of some kind of strap. Knowing myself and my tendancies, I can see unlatching the thing and promptly fumbling and dropping it. I like the security of some type of simple idiot-proofing. Like a strap around my neck. Its usefulness also seems to be wardrobe-dependant, but I couldn't tell too much about it from the few images I saw. It'll be interesting to see in person.
10-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #4

I'm wondering how it would go connecting it to other gear, say a backpack or similar, so you could grab it and unsnap it easily if required, but it's not impeding your legs.

Interesting idea though.

10-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Interesting, ...though it might be a lot more useful if it was compatible with a QR...
10-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would be scared with my camera freely swinging away at my legs also free to swing and bump any hard object..outch!
10-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Okay update. I saw these yesterday at PDN photoplus expo and had a demo but the inventor. While the camera is attached it really doesn't seem to be in much jeopardy. In fact it seems like it's almost safer from accidental bumps due to how it hangs than a traditional strap that is subject to accidental lens smackage (which happened to me btw in a crowded street in NYC last night jamming the zoom mechanism of my 16-50 grrrr).

The bracket on the belt locks so it would appear that so long as the part attached to the camera is secure it seems fairly safe. I did not have a chance to try out the belt to see how it fits, and how adjustable it is for various sized bodies.

My biggest reservation on this is the lack of a fail-safe. One butterfingered incident is all it would take. I would really prefer some kind of security sling for accident prevention, especially as this is being touted and a quick grab and shoot thing. Its the quick part that leads to droppage.

I currently have one of the redesigned Black Rapid straps that hangs the camera in the same way and wow. It is a good convenient way to have the camera hang. But with the holster I can see the advantage of getting some of the weight off the shoulders.

The guy didn't seem to interested in parting with a unit for a thorough review/writeup so that's the best I can do.

10-26-2009, 12:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

hrm.. not for me. it'll just drag my pants down..
10-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I linked it to my girlfriend and she said no way.... The horror!
10-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #10

I have smacked 3 cell phones death on the belt and not toasted even a filter on a lens when slung on my neck. I am much more cognizant of the camera's presence when on my neck than my phone on my hip however.
10-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #11

if you clip this on your belt, won't it pull the pant down ?
10-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

It has its own belt that adjusts (I didn't see how much it adjusts and if it come in various sizes since people come in various sizes) and the clip thingy hooks to that. You can put one on both sides for true gunslinger style. lol.
03-05-2010, 04:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Here's a review of the Spider Holster after two months of daily use by a professional photographer: Karl Grobl: The Spider Holster: My impressions after 2 months of daily use

I ordered mine a few days ago.
03-10-2010, 03:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I got my Spider Holster yesterday.

Bad news for K-7 + D-BG4 owners: because of the offset tripod mount, the SpiderPro Plate doesn't work with the battery grip. However, it's not too much of a concern for me since I intend to use the Spider Holster for my 2nd body, an ungripped K10D, while keeping my gripped K-7 on a strap