Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #1

Mobile Lighting Rig?

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a mobile lighting rig for portrait work. I would like something for indoor/outdoor use, under $500 (cheaper is fine), and something with some sort of carrying case.

I am using this as a beginner kit, I have no portrait experience, I see a lot of decent kits on B&H in the $150-$300 range that look good, but have limited reviews. Any info is much appreciated. Not sure if i need umbrellas, softbox, all of them, etc.

I am going to be doing some promo shots for local bands/musicians, as well as more traditional portraits. I am just learning this aspect of photography, and realize there is a plethora of options and techniques, but I was just looking for a suggestion for a good starting point. Thanks!

10-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

I'm no lighting guru, but I've found umbrellas on stands incredibly mobile and easy to set up.
I have done similar jobs with one reflective/shoot-through umbrella with wireless flash (I prefer the Pentax 540 unit), getting good results (IMO).

User Photo Gallery - People

Others may not agree, but really, it's whatever works for you...