Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #1

Looking for a new camera bag

I'm traveling to Hawaii next year. I'm looking for a camera bag which will hold my Sigma 150-500mm lens and other lenses and fit under the airline seats. Any suggestions?

10-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you have a complete list of what you plan or wish to carry in the backpack? That might help better decide your choices.

I'm now associated with Naneu Pro (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/76496-new-sponsor-naneu-p...k-company.html), so there's my disclaimer.

I've not tested my Sahara 217F yet but it's a nice camera gear only backpack. I also have the K4L and it fits tightly in the seat under a regional jet. It's a great travel backpack setup with the landscape photographer in mind, although you can carry a larger lens in the main compartment along with other gear, clothes, etc. The Sahara can easily carry my FA* 300/2.8 plus lenses, etc. and will fit under the seat.

Regards,
Marc
10-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a great question Chris!

Normally someone carrying a longer, larger (150-500) lens plus more lenses, camera etc. does not want a camera bag or sling bag due to the weight load on a single shoulder. Another issue is that most people don't handhold 500mm at the long end - therefore a tripod is often a consideration and most non-backpacks are not suited for this situation. Carrying a longer heavier lens is not normally used for landscape work, hence my answer. That's one reason why I sold my Lowepro slingshot bags - too much weight on one shoulder becomes uncomfortable.

This leads into why I why I asked what he was carrying - a complete list - and a request for clarification while making a suggestion. Chris, do you have a suggestion for the OP? I am sure any input would be welcome.

BigT: what gear will you be carrying and what kinds of subject do you intend to photograph with the 150-500? Did you want a backpack when carrying your gear or a single strap bag? Having more information would be most helpful.

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 10-18-2009 at 07:16 AM.
10-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also, which airline?

Is this going to be a "gear only" bag or "gear plus lunch and some beers" bag?

10-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Are you just considering the airline seats or also the baggage compartment above the airline seats?
..as long as you can bring them along as "hand carry" baggage?

Under the airline seat is too cramped and I wouldn't think you will be able to carry a lot but if you consider the baggage compartment above the seat, then that would be roomier and you will be able to carry more, albeit you might exceed the weight provision as I did when I went on vacation.
It was a good thing that they were a bit lenient and told me not to exceed it again next time.
10-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
I plan on taking my 150-300mm Sigma, and my 28-70mm Tamron and a flash. I was on a trip to California last year and spotted sharks off-shore, but I didn't bring a long enough lens. I also enjoy shooting birds and other wild life. So I thought I would bring the BigMa this time. I am looking to store the camera bag under the airline seat, not in the overhead storage. I prefer a backpack type bag.
10-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm sure you'll get lot of advice for larger bags, so I'll post what I think will be the smallest option, the LowePro Classified 160. It has an inside depth of 11.2 inches so you won't be able to carry the 150-500mm on the camera, but you will be able to carry it with your other lens on the camera.

Thank you
Russell
10-19-2009, 04:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigT Quote
I plan on taking my 150-300mm Sigma, and my 28-70mm Tamron and a flash. I was on a trip to California last year and spotted sharks off-shore, but I didn't bring a long enough lens. I also enjoy shooting birds and other wild life. So I thought I would bring the BigMa this time. I am looking to store the camera bag under the airline seat, not in the overhead storage. I prefer a backpack type bag.
This is a manageable amount of gear, that should easily fit into a sling bag. My Lowe Slngshot 300 swallows the 50-500 AND the 70-200/2.8 both at the same time (though it is a stretch...) and falls well within airline regulations. The rest of your equipment fits easily too.

Ben

10-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just spent 3 weeks traveling from Seattle to Louisiana with stops in between and multiple plane flights. I carried a Lowe Flipside 300 which held , Sigma 17-70, 10-20 Tamron 18-250 and a Pentax 60-250. I kept this backpack with me at all times on all flights. It fit well overhead as well as under the seat. I also carried in my suitcase a Tamrac Holster bag with one large lens case for excursions after I arrived and a Slik Sprint Pro tripod that also attached to the Flipside bag. All in all I really liked the flipside backpack and was impressed with its capacity and comfort. It also held my grip, a Fuji pocket camera and a Western Digital Passport hard drive. along with many other accessories. It will go with me on my next trip too.
Good luck deciding.
10-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just put the Big Sigma in it's own bag and get a small bag for the rest of your supplies and pack your tripod in your suitcase.
10-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I had the same thought as FL_Gulfer.

f64 has some nice reasonably priced lens bags.