Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2009, 05:38 AM   #1

Pentax prices in Japan?

My father is going to Japan in a few weeks. He doesn't know it yet, but he will be bringing me back some Pentax gear
I was looking around for a Japanese price list for Pentax, but google fails me. Seeing as I'm in the UK, I'm sure most anything will be cheaper over there, but it would be nice to see how big the differences are.

Could anyone point me to a source of Japanese Pentax prices? Also, how widely available is Pentax stuff around Japan? Can you buy it easily in brick+mortar stores in Tokyo?

A D-BG4 battery grip would be nice, but depending on the prices, I might be swayed to get a nice prime as well

10-20-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would be very surprised if you save much....if anything at all.

Bodies/kits

Lenses
10-20-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

Bodies/kits

Lenses
Well... 102,645 Yen for a K-7 (I cannot find out if it comes with a kit lens) = 757.
That IS cheap! Here a K-7 body goes for 1,050 minimum.
10-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the links, Mike! The prices are quite a bit cheaper (consider that a Da* 16-50 costs like $1500 in the UK currently and the K-7 vertical grip is just shy of $400), but the difference in price is not really enough to justify me getting lenses on a whim.
(I would like a prime in the 24-30 and one in the 70-100mm range as well as a dedicated macro lens, but I cannot justify buying prime glass that is darker than my existing zoom lenses, and the FA Limiteds are just too damn pricey)

I hate to be a bother, but do you know where I could find the price of the D-BG4 grip?

10-20-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Well... 102,645 Yen for a K-7 (I cannot find out if it comes with a kit lens) = 757.
That IS cheap! Here a K-7 body goes for 1,050 minimum.
Well, that's cheap because your income is in Euros.
10-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Bodies/kits

Lenses
Mike, correct me if I'm wrong, but from the look of it, you can get a K20D for almost the same price as a K200D. In fact, it seems the silver K20D is even cheaper!?

Very strange.
10-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
Mike, correct me if I'm wrong, but from the look of it, you can get a K20D for almost the same price as a K200D. In fact, it seems the silver K20D is even cheaper!?

Very strange.
And the silver (Titanium) is a limited edition and comes with a battery grip.
10-21-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

And the silver (Titanium) is a limited edition and comes with a battery grip.
Yeah, exactly. Surely they can't be having so hard a time shifting the titanium ones that they've had to price them to clear?

10-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #9

I think it all depends on where your father will be staying and for how long. The site Mike posted lists the cheapest price of the main stores in Japan but most of the stores are in Tokyo and a lot of them are mail order only so if he won't be in or around Tokyo then you will be relegated to mail order and that depends on how much time you have. In Tokyo however there are a lot of camera stores as you may know. If you aren't too fussy on buying brand new, then your choices open up considerably. You can get real bargains used. Also take into account the GBP is not doing so good against the Yen these days... as compared to a few months ago.

The grip is 17016 JPY new. Thats the K-7 grip right? Like new condition its 13,800 at Map Camera. There are probably cheaper places.

If you want to buy new then I would avoid "brick and mortar" shops (Bic Camera and Yodobashi etc). They are *usually* more expensive than mail order. Fujiya Camera in Nakano is a pretty good place for all sorts of things and probably one of the cheapest places around. I think the best bargains are found by trolling the used camera stores. You can find some real weird and wonderful stuff sometimes going for cheap and if you don't find anything, then you can always have fun looking at all the gear
10-22-2009, 02:55 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch, sumo! This is the kind of info I was looking for.
Yeah, my dad will be stopping over in Tokyo for a couple of days - it'll probably have to be a B+M store. I'll just give him a list of stuff I want with ballpark expected prices and leave him to it

Even at Y18000, the K-7 grip would be half the current UK retail price....
10-22-2009, 03:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just looked at lens prices on yodobashi's website yesterday, and at least the DA35 and the DA15 are almost half the norwegian price. Not much to save compared to US prices, though. The european prices went straight up after the yen went up. Now that the yen and dollar are down again, we're stuck with the higher prices for a while, I'm afraid
10-22-2009, 05:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PolishMike Quote
Thanks a bunch, sumo! This is the kind of info I was looking for.
Yeah, my dad will be stopping over in Tokyo for a couple of days - it'll probably have to be a B+M store. I'll just give him a list of stuff I want with ballpark expected prices and leave him to it
If you can work out which stores you want him to hit (and if I have time....some busy days coming up) I will try to help you out by working up some detailed maps to help him easily find the places.
10-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #13

Original Poster
If you can work out which stores you want him to hit (and if I have time....some busy days coming up) I will try to help you out by working up some detailed maps to help him easily find the places.
Wow, that would be absolutely great!
My dad's only going towards the second half of November, so plenty of time yet. Knowing him, he already has a full itinerary so I'll find out where he will be staying and try to google up some shops in the vicinity - if you could advise which ones are any good and help with the directions, that would be capital!
10-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #14

If he has little time and depending on where in Tokyo he is staying, I would recommend Shinjuku's West exit. I do pretty much ALL my camera shopping there. Its compact, there's second hand shops all over the place and the biggest camera store in Japan is there - Yodobashi's main branch. If you can't find what you want there then you will have little chance finding it elsewhere. Close by there is Fujiya Camera in Nakano, about 5 mins train and 2 mins walk from Shinjuku station. They got some pretty good competitive prices for new stuff.

Oh, that 17-18k JPY for the K7 grip was found on that kakaku.com site. It lists the cheapest prices from a search it does on the main stores. At Yodobashi, the grip is about 20k. One more thing. If you are going to be buying a lot of stuff then it is worthwhile making a point card at Yodobashi. Its free and basically anything you buy gets you 10% off the purchase price in "points" on the card. They can then be used against your next purchase, 1 pt = 1 yen. So that grip at 20k will actually be 20k with 2k towards your next purchase, in effect 18k. Then you can buy a lens and use the 2k, get some more points then use it again on something else etc. The best strategy is to buy a bunch of stuff, save a bunch of points then spend them all on your last item. You see, only the price you pay gets calculated into how much points you get, so using 2k points on a 5k item, you pay 3k and get 300 points back. Since you aren't living here, then spending the points all at the last minute is the best way.
10-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The pricing is usually not cheap comparing to US pricing. The warrantee issue can be quite trickey regardless how this is addressed by salesmen.