Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone use a waist pack along with their backpack?

I have a lowpro fastpack, which I like very much. But, I am not liking to get into it to switch my smaller primes. So, I am considering a small waist pack that will hold 2-3 lenses. So, I can have the 21 or 24, 43, 77, 135 all handy in their. One on the camera and the other in the waist pack, with either the 21 or 24 in the backpack along with the 10-20 and the sigma 100-300. Also, if I decide to take only the three lenses, then I can leave the backpack.

Does anyone tried to take both, and does it make things easier?

Thank you.

P.S: Also, as I was writing this I realized why I have a tough time changing lenses, it is probably because I need to leave an empty pouch for the lens mounted as well. That way I can remove the lens put it into the empty spot (I know the sensor is open now, but, SR is darn good with K-7, and I am not afraid of cleaning the sensor), and then get the new lens to put on the camera. This way I am not holding two lenses and the endcaps etc, all at the same time.

10-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've used a converted fanny pack to hold 2 or three lenses plus film and batteries to a good degree of success. It's surprising how well repurposed things can do...
10-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have at times used a fanny pack with my camera pack. My favorite is this one.

Mountainsmith

Aside from the fact that it is an excellent pack all by itself, I find that the water bottle holders work very well for lenses as well. It's also all recycled material!
10-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was thinking of the fanny pack, and then found out that they have faany packs converted with the lens sections for decent price, like this (this one probably is too large, as it also holds the camera).

Kata | DW-495 DPS Waist Pack | KT DW-495 | B&H Photo Video

May be they have something similar for lenses alone. But, I will look into the usual faany packs and see...

10-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could also try a small messenger pack in addition to a backpack (or by itself). It would serve the same purpose at the fanny pack, but a strap would hang across your body instead of using a fanny pack belt. I'm sure the fanny pack would work fine, but some people might not call them "fashionable" in today's world . Messenger bags are definitely in.

I have this Lowepro Apex 140 AW, which includes an "All Weather cover that can be pulled over the bag if it rains. It will easily hold my K-7 with attached prime and an additional prime (generally up to 135mm focal length & 58mm filter diameter lenses). I can even keep the DA* 16-50 (without hood) on the camera and it still fits in the bag ok, as long as the other lens in the bag is smallish. If you were to keep the camera outside of the bag, there are easily 2 full spots for lenses, but you could fit 3 small primes in there no problem if you stacked or re-arranged the dividers. It also has a belt-loop so that if you wanted to simply put your belt through it instead of using the shoulder strap you could, but i'm not sure if it would slump over or something. I haven't really tried that, but I have put a strap through the belt look and used it in addition to the shoulder strap to prevent rotation around my body when I bend over to the ground.

It's not perfect but has been a good bag to carry my equipment everywhere. I take my camera with me every day to work (unrelated profession) and it's a good smallish bag to carry whatever primes I want to play with that day if I get the chance during my lunch hour.

Lowepro - Apex 140 AW
10-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. Fanny packs are indeed a fashion disaster, no question about it, but they are making them sleek like this, which is ok I guess.

Kata | Format Q Waist Pack | KT A53Q | B&H Photo Video

The fast pack that I have slides to the side and open sideways for easy access fo the camera. Any shoulder strap on top of this will not work. I've tried it with my tripod bag, and it just gets to be a mess.

I need soemthing without a second shoulder starp, and the waist pack/fanny packs seems to be the only choice. I was considering the Think tank 360, but I'd rather have my regular bag and the waist pack, if it will work.

Professional photography equipment - camera bags, camera cases - from Think Tank Photo

P.S: Eventually I need a proper backpack with a tripod mount too. This will also work well with a proper belt pack. So, I think this belt pack, if properly done (like you eluded to, it need to stay properly for easy access and not slump over) will be perfect. Will work alone, will work with my fast pack, and the larger backpacks with tripod mount. At least in theory, but would like to know whether anyones doen it.

Last edited by pcarfan; 10-20-2009 at 10:55 AM.
10-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you considered a light belt system along with the backpack?

Check out the skin belt system of Think Tank

10-26-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Have you considered a light belt system along with the backpack?

Check out the skin belt system of Think Tank
I use the CCS belt system alongside a backpack. They have pouches in different sizes and bigger holster style bags, all going onto the belt (the holsters also have shoulder straps as an alternative).

Ben