Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #1

Carry-On Compatible Daypack?

Hi! Does anyone know a versatile carry-on compatible camera backpack. I am looking for something that is made up of two-three compartments. One (lower) for K20d plus 3 lenses and flash. Then I need a place to put a jacket and other small items. Finally the bag has to have a laptop compartment for 14'' laptop. It would be nice to have raincover.

I have been searching a lot. I really like the Naneu Adventure series (K3L and K4L), but am afraid that they exceed the allowed dimensions...?

I am very thankful for any suggestions,

U

10-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #2

I have a Whickey and Cox computer backpack from Crumpler, it has a dedicated sleeve for a laptop that is removable, several removable dividers in a protected/padded shell for camera and lenses, and two nearly pointless pockets on the exterior side of the backpack for some gear. The entire shell is also capable of being removed from the pack. Unfortunately, reaching into the two side pockets is pretty difficult unless you have long fingers or a narrow hand.

I have taken this as a carry-on on most commercial airlines in the States as well as overseas to Europe. Typically, I stow it in the overhead compartment, as it probably will not fit underneath the seat in front of me (unless in first class). You have to remove the laptop before putting it into the overhead storage if you are on a regional commuter jet/turboprop.

It does not come with a raincover, but the exterior fabric is pretty water resistant. Access is through a zipper on the back, so the pack is extremely secure. The other thing is it doesn't look like a bag that contains valuable camera gear, which is a big plus for me.

The Whickey and Cox is more of a pack to carry gear from point A to point B instead of a day pack where you will be going into and out of on a regular basis. Hope that helps.
10-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamrac Adventure 9. I flew to Miami and back a couple of weeks ago with mine.
10-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #4

FWIW, I like my FastPack 200. No rain cover, but treating the outer shell with Nikwax or the like should provide good water resistance. The 250 and 350 versions include a laptop slot.

Gear bags are very personal, so it might be worth browsing Cambags or a similar site to see which bags catch your eye and satisfy your personal requirements and preferences.

10-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for ideas!

Here in Europe the regulations are somewhat more strict. I usually fly with Lufthansa, which declares that the bag depth can not exceed 20cm (7,9''). This is a lot less than the measure of Adventure 9 for instance. I would not like to risk with this...

I have found now 3 bags which meet the required measures. These are the Kata dr-467, Crumpler Royal Court and Crumpler Muffin Top Half. Any experience with these bags?
10-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Lowepro Compudaypack would fit that bill. Otherwise, check here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/71275-my-perfect-soluti...mera-gear.html
10-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Works for me...

PentaxWebstore DSLR Sling Bag

Shop around... you can probably beat the price.

10-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urmas R. Quote
Hi! Does anyone know a versatile carry-on compatible camera backpack. I am looking for something that is made up of two-three compartments. One (lower) for K20d plus 3 lenses and flash. Then I need a place to put a jacket and other small items. Finally the bag has to have a laptop compartment for 14'' laptop. It would be nice to have raincover.

I have been searching a lot. I really like the Naneu Adventure series (K3L and K4L), but am afraid that they exceed the allowed dimensions...?

I am very thankful for any suggestions,

U
Suggest you PM Marc Langille and get his opinion on the Naneu. This was the bag he field tested on the recent workshop.
Cheers
10-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #9

I have the Kata DR-465, same as the DR-467 but without the laptop storage. Worked for carrying K200D, 16-45, 50-135, and flash in the lower compartment. I could put my personal belongings in the top compartment. Beware that the top compartment is somewhat rounded such that papers may be bent.

The straps are comfortable and there are 3 outside zippered compartments for holding memory, pens, cell phone, etc. My black backpack comes with a bright yellow interior (there are other variations, IIRC) so I could easily locate items. I like that I can slip the entire backpack over the handle of my rolling suitcase. This backpack did fit under the airline seat in front of me.

HTH.

QuoteOriginally posted by Urmas R. Quote
Thanks a lot for ideas!

Here in Europe the regulations are somewhat more strict. I usually fly with Lufthansa, which declares that the bag depth can not exceed 20cm (7,9''). This is a lot less than the measure of Adventure 9 for instance. I would not like to risk with this...

I have found now 3 bags which meet the required measures. These are the Kata dr-467, Crumpler Royal Court and Crumpler Muffin Top Half. Any experience with these bags?
10-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The computer bag company by the name of Booq makes some stylish bags. The Boa and Python series both have backpacks that combine all three requirements. The sizes are border line for EU airline carry on restrictions.

Great looking bags expensive though.
10-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #11

Original Poster
Interesting bags indeed. Just checked their web page. It seems that the Python Blur could be rather useful. Since the camera can be stored in the upper compartment it can be accessed more easily than in a traditional bag with "clamshell-like" opening. I wonder though, whether there is enough room in the lower compartment for a jacket? And then there is the problem of a couple of extra inches in depth. Including this booq now I have stumbled upon a number of nice bags (Naneu K3L, Tenba Gen3, some Crumpler models, like Turkish Shower), which all comply to the US or UK airlines regulations, but are just a couple of inches too deep for continental Europe. I wish they would be this much higher, rather than deeper. I am leaning towards buying a bag like this and hoping I can manage to get by without problems, or squeeze the bag in the frame ;-)

The only SLR/Laptop backpacks that fit the dimensions are the Lowepro Compudaypack, which kind of a looks like carrying a box, and Mountainsmith Spectrum, which seems a bit too small. I have never seen it in person, so may be it might be ok? Finally there is the Crumpler Muffin Top Half (I believe the successor to the Pretty Boy). While very stylish, the camera compartment seems kind of a difficult to open and limited in space. Oh, almost forgot the Kata 467...

Since the camera shops around here carry mostly Tamrac and occasionally some Lowepro models, it is a tough decision to make by only looking at internet photos :-(

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
The computer bag company by the name of Booq makes some stylish bags. The Boa and Python series both have backpacks that combine all three requirements. The sizes are border line for EU airline carry on restrictions.

Great looking bags expensive though.
10-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

You know, if internet pbotos are not enough, you can visit a store

assuming there's one near you. I can tesify tjat the compudaypack is nice enough, and cheap, but it still didn't fit my personal bill.
11-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax Sling bag sell for $13 at Amazon US.

Few weeks ago I was considering Kata 467 (about $80) and Crumpler Sinking Barge (about $230). Eventually I got a Crumpler used from this forum - since I have a 7 million and found Crumpler bag quality is good and I don't get a hand on Kata ya.

I use Crumpler bag two weeks ago hiking at the Smoky Mountain - honestly, still heavy. I guess I will just bring 1 camera and 1 lens (hence looking for a all-round lens now.. ) only on my next hike. The bag is comfortable though.

My main purpose getting the bag is to be able to bring my laptop and camera in a single bag when travel. The crumpler bag, in my opinion, don't have much space in the top compartment - a fleece jacket + a small water bottle (500mL) filled up the space.