Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
motorbike bag

Hi all!

I'm going away on a motorbike trip in a couple of months and i'm trying to figure out how to store my camera on the bike.

Its been suggested i should try get it setup as a tank bag so i can access it easily (without having to get off) but i can't find any commercially available bags to fit.

I have a K10 with grip and am hoping to take 2 lenses + flash (mainly i want my new DA*50-135), so its hardly 'compact'

any motorbike riding pentaxians out there tried something like this?

any links or suggestions appreciated (or if you've done it yourself, a photo?)

Thanks a lot.

10-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #2

I don't know of any photo gear-specific tank bags. You could buy a tank bag that works well on your motorbike and then add a padded insert like bdery notes here. The insert will provide some structure and protection in the tankbag. Or, if you're the crafty type, you could buy a camera bag or backpack of your choice and create a DIY harness for securing it to the tank (most tank bags are not motorbike-specific and simply attach with straps and clips, anyway).

Tank bag photo gear storage is convenient in some ways, perhaps not others. Considerations:
  • Full-face helmets don't provide enough space to allow dSLR camera use. So while it's convenient to access the camera from the tank bag, it's not as though you can simply grab the camera and shoot unless you wear no, 3/4 or full-face flip-up helmet.
  • I always find myself wanting to move around a bit to frame the shot the way I want it, so the convenience of staying on the motorbike doesn't really matter to me. For quick, candid, on-bike snapshots, I keep a small P&S in my tankbag while traveling.
  • Tankbags, while convenient, are not secure. Sure, you can get a cable lock or a motion-triggered alarm...but the cables are easily defeated and by the time you've heard the alarm and returned to the bike, it might be too late. I've always preferred storing valuable gear in a hard-side, lockable top case.
  • Tank bags are great for easy, on-bike storage. But if you have to do any substantial walking around with them...not so comfortable or convenient for actually carrying stuff around.
  • In the event of accident, tank bags are not protective. Granted, if you're in an accident, your camera gear is likely the least of your worries, but...still, it's one more consideration.

Personally, I'd go with a camera bag that suits my general needs and fits nicely inside my hard-sided, lockable top case, plus a P&S in the tank bag...just in case.

Rubber side DOWN, shiny side UP.

Edit to add: what motorbike do you have and/or will you ride during your travels?
10-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Look at the Ventura and Gearsac luggage ranges. They don't have camera dedicated luggage as such. In touring mode I'll use my Ventura rack mounted bag with the camera bag inside with clothing as extra packaging. The tankbag I use for other extras. It's all in how you pack the gear as I can access the camera and lenses without having to empty the luggage bag.
There are seat mounted bags available as well as those needing racks.
10-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Bob,
I had tank bags on my Aprilia Pegaso & BMW R1200GS. I went along to the local rubber store and bought a block of high density foam and cut this to shape to fit the tank bags. The store offered a cutting service which I would have been better of using....neater job.
I also had panniers & top box on both bikes.

In the tank bag I carried a *ist DS; Sigma 24mm f1.8, Sigma 18-125 & Sigma 100-300. Plus a small pair of binoculars.

I had a Nolan "flip top" helmet, which was essential.

This set up allowed me to stop where ever I wanted to, stay on the bike (if I so desired) and shoot. The driving force behind this set up was the annoyance of stopping, getting off the bike, taking off gloves (still did that), taking off helmet, opening top box...etc etc. Worked well.

The Aprilia bag converted to a back pack with obvious benefits. The BMW bag had to be carried by a handle which was not the best if hiking any distance....but riding boots generally discouraged that anyway.

What are you riding and where are you going?

Cheers

10-24-2009, 04:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi!
i've been spending some time online and went for a lap of some bike shops this morning. i've found some possibilities, but still have a few decisions to make re. the DIY option.

i can use the camera with the helmet on, just.. Obviously pretty clumsy and i never plan to use it like that, but the ready access MIGHT be useful. who knows. Also, if the camera is on the tank its not taking up space on the rack (where it usually sits)
my camera is currently in a small Lowepro backpack. i was hoping i could find a tank bag that will allow me to slip the lowepro inside the tank bag. this gives me padding, waterproofing and i can just remove the camera bag to take with me for security.
The fallback from this idea is to get a decent looking bag and make my own padding/spacers

The trip are just a few guys going for a ride. the sooner one is around NSW central tablelands (exact route undecided as yet) and the second is to Phillip Island next year.
Currently i have a Suzuki GS500F, but hope to have traded up by the end of the year, so a bag thats not bike specific would be an advantage.

Also, another thing. a lot of these bags have magnetic bases to help keep the bag on. one website even warned me not to put credit cards etc in the bag or they might get wiped.
Do you think this would have any affect on the camera?

Thanks for the help.
10-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dont know about the magnetic effect Bob...but I wouldn't trust the magnetic bags anyway, I always had mine firmly strapped on. I was never a fan of third party products in these situations, I reasoned that the bike manufacturer would have done the homework and got it right.

Your idea of a smaller camera bag to fit in the tank bag would work. To this end check out these:
The Naneu 60 has a removable insert that may be handy
Naneu Pro SLR/Laptop bags : PhotoVideo.com.au

I have this one and it is a great little bag, surprisingly small, but carries a heap of stuff.
Delsey GoPix 90 Camera Backpack Red/Black [650268] - $99.00 : PhotoVideo.com.au

Cheers.
10-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I'm in the planning stages now for a trip next July/August. Taking my K10D and a few lenses is definitely on my list, too. This one has captured my interest. I've come to realize that due to the nature of biking I will need a weather-proof tank bag and that is where my camera will reside. I've tried keeping the camera in my tail bag but it's just too much bother. I have to dismount and rummage around in the bag - too time consuming for quick shots.

Magnets shouldn't harm flash-memory cards but will ruin your credit card/debit card pretty quick. Been there - done that! So think about that when you stash your wallet in the tank bag on top of a powerful magnet. I'm looking for a bag that is held in place with straps or one that attaches with a metal ring around the petrol cap. Those are interesting and secure, but pricey. Once you get a bag you could make some dividers out of foam sheets to keep items in their place.

Keep us informed as to your decision.

10-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice looking bag J(eff?) Scott, good to see the straps too. I had to chuckle when reading their blurb....'built to withstand your crashes'.....hmmph!
10-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Nice looking bag J(eff?) Scott, good to see the straps too. I had to chuckle when reading their blurb....'built to withstand your crashes'.....hmmph!
Yeah - it's Jeff.

Imagine that testimonial; "My bike ended up a twisted hunk of scrap metal and I was laid up in the hospital for 3 weeks but look at my tank bag, not even a scratch!"

I prefer not to test that part of the warranty; I'll keep the shiny side up.
10-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've never had a problem with the magnetic tankbag on my EX-500. It's the Rapid Transit Recon 19, but I only ever carry the camera with either 16-50 mounted, or 50-135. I've got locking hard luggage and topcase, which is where the actual camera bag (with 2 additional lenses) goes, and if I need to leave the camera on the bike, I lock it up in the topcase as well.

I've gone tent-camping with this set-up, and to me the problem is more of trying to travel light and hoping you've brought just the right couple of lenses for all your needs. Much as I love my Tamron 70-200/2.8, it does not get to accompany me on such trips!

Anyway it seems IMO that the particular model of tankbag is not as important, but I could never do without both that AND a full set of lockable hard luggage. Happy trails!
Paul
11-05-2009, 06:11 AM   #11

Original Poster
well, here is what i ended up with.
i'll try remember to post a photo once its all on the bike and setup ready to ride.

basically, my camera backpack is one of these;
Lowepro - Micro Trekker 200

and the tank bag i got was this;
Tank bags

i just went into a local bike shop and went through all the catalogues checking dimensions. Its a little tight, but when i remove some junk (and one lens i don't think i'll take) it will be fine.
Now i can open the tank bag and have easy access to the camera and its bag. carrying off the bike won't be a problem as i can take just the lowepro, or the whole thing as the new bag also has backpack type carrying straps.

I guess this doesn't exclude the DIY option. if its too much trouble to get the bag in and out, i can still make up a foam insert for the tank bag

initially i wondered if the magnets could affect the camera, but after having a look i'm not too worried. the magnets are several inches away from the camera and while strong on one side, the back of them won't even hold a paper clip.
On the down side, the straps that are a backup for the magnets seem like an afterthought.

looking forward to the weekend when i can go for a ride and take some photos.
11-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That should work Bob.
Look forward to seeing it all set up.

Avagoodweekend.
09-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread....

I've been reluctant to take my camera on bike trips for fear of damaging them from vibration. When I do take it, it's wrapped in clothing in the top box and is a pain to retrieve to take pics.

I'd considered using one of my tank bags with padding but, as I have a V-twin (Suzuki DL650 V-Strom), it's not the smoothest thing around.

Has anyone had problems with vibration?

I'm off on Monday for a week-long ride down the coast and am thinking of taking the *istD, an old F 35-105 zoom, and a Sigma 18-55 zoom - all of which I can afford to lose. I'll leave the K-5 at home. If the weather is inclement I could take the K-7 and an 18-55WR instead.
09-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Sorry to resurrect an old thread....

I've been reluctant to take my camera on bike trips for fear of damaging them from vibration. When I do take it, it's wrapped in clothing in the top box and is a pain to retrieve to take pics.

I'd considered using one of my tank bags with padding but, as I have a V-twin (Suzuki DL650 V-Strom), it's not the smoothest thing around.

Has anyone had problems with vibration?

I'm off on Monday for a week-long ride down the coast and am thinking of taking the *istD, an old F 35-105 zoom, and a Sigma 18-55 zoom - all of which I can afford to lose. I'll leave the K-5 at home. If the weather is inclement I could take the K-7 and an 18-55WR instead.
Hi!

The setup I ended up with worked pretty well. My K10 died just before the big trip, so I ended up taking my brand new (at the time) K7.
I did 3000km and took 1200 odd pictures with no problems. Over 2yrs later and the k7 is still going strong.

I haven't ridden a V-strom, but the parallel twin I had at the time wasn't the smoothest at highway speeds either.
My $0.02 is that as long as there is some padding between tank and camera, you should be fine.

Gook luck with the trip.