Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What bag do you use for all your equipment?
Backpack 7227.91%
Sling bag 6926.74%
Messenger/Shoulder bag 9737.60%
Hardcase 20.78%
Other 186.98%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 03:57 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having just travelled around the UK and Ireland for a month with my Lowepro Slingshot 100AW (3 lenses, my K200D, spare batteries, some filters, cleaning stuff and an apple to eat ) the ease of access and weight distribution were about perfect.

With an extra lens it would have been inadequate, but I really only used two lenses most of the time (Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 and Sigma 28-70mm f2.8).

I honestly didn't notice the weight at all. And the waterproof cover was just right for those wet days (quite a few of those just before we left!).

Whats more, the size was perfect for putting between the front seats whilst driving - an easy grab of the camera when something interesting popped up.

Last edited by MoiVous; 11-23-2009 at 04:06 AM.
11-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My day to day bag is the Pentax Sling Bag. I also have a Domke waist bag, and a LowePro shoulder bag . . . and others.

I must admit that those Kata 3in1 bags especially the 30 has my attention. However, the National Geographic khaki colored backpacks have my interest as well. The Kata can work as a B.P. or sling though as well as a carryon bag.
11-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #33
Veteran Member

i don't like anything on my back as it just gets sweaty, I often shoot when out and about either hiking or traveling. When traveling I don't like a bag that screams CAMERA BAG!!!!!!!!!!!

So I use this for travelling....

Tamrac - Model 3537 - Express 7 Camera Bag

and this for hiking .....

Alpha Backpack - Travel Backpacks & Digital Camera Cases for Photography Equipment & Electronics - Military Ops Series | Naneu Bags'
11-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #34

I use a messenger bag that is a "poor man's version" of the Crumpler brand. I like it due to it's low key design and ample protection it provides for my gear. On nasty days, I prefer my Lowe-Pro Sling 200 for its "rain coat".

11-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #35
Pentaxian

hmm, depends on where i'm going.
i have 4 bags: 2 different small shoulder bags and 2 different sized Lowepro sling bags. I am digging the Slingshot200AW for the most part and if i just need camera plus one other lens and/or flash, i take one of the shoulder bags.
at home, i store my entire rig inside the slingshot300AW but unless i am shooting from the backseat of my car, i wouldn't take out with me.
11-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I own a sling bag, a backpack, and a shoulder bag. Which one I use depends on where I'm going and how much stuff I have/want to carry with me.
11-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I use a holster-style shoulder bag with side-saddle lens cases. It probably looks a bit goofy (and certainly screams "camera here! ") but it works for me.
Just found the photo of my arrangement. That small case on the left is my 1.4x TC and I usually have a couple of small primes in soft cases clipped on the right as well. Like I say, it may be a bit goofy but it's very flexible.

Attached Images

11-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Just found the photo of my arrangement.
That patio chair looks fairly light but carrying it around must be rather ungainly.
But at least you always have somewhere to sit and rest when you get tired!

Chris
11-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
That patio chair looks fairly light but carrying it around must be rather ungainly.
But at least you always have somewhere to sit and rest when you get tired!
Chris
I said it was kind of goofy.
12-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My advice is to carry a minimum of gear.
A classic shoulder bag is easiest to work from.
Be sure to check out the Domke line.

Chris
Domke make amazing satchels!
12-11-2009, 03:25 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Interesting poll results so far. Traditional shoulder and messenger bags
are at least as popular as backpacks and sling bags, despite all the buzz.

I would probably give up photography if it required a backpack full of gear.

Chris
My sentiments exactly!

Billingham, Nat Geo and Domke are my front runners for good inconspicuous designs, plus one or two from Tamrac, ThinkTank and Lowepro, but they tend to be too "photographic" style wise, but ergonomically sound. I do prefer "Beige" (sand, khaki etc.) to black as a colour, but I'm of "that age"!
12-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #42
Veteran Member

For me it depends. If I'm going around and the camera needs to be in the bag most of the time, then it's my backpack. If it's going to be out most of the time, then it's my shoulder bag. Sometimes, I skip the bag, and just use a fanny pack to hold one or two extra lenses.

To heck with fashion statements, I'm out to shoot pictures!
12-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a LowePro Photo Trekker back pack that I have had for nearly 20 years now. I use it when I want to carry all my gear with me. The down side of this old timer is the sweat patch on my back from the foam pad used. Other than that, it holds two or three bodies, a bunch of lenses including my 400 and lunch.

Out for a walk around the neighbourhood, I take the camera with one of the DA lenses mounted.

Quick walks to scenic outlooks and so forth I use the LowePro 100 AW sling bag. I manage to put the k10, 12-24, 16-50, 50-135 and 100 macro in it. One of the four lenses is on the camera. The polarizer goes in the outside pocket. Works for me.
12-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a couple of LowePro shoulder bags but the main bags I use is the LowePro 200 and 300 AW Sling bags just depending on what I'm shooting.
12-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I currently use the Pentax DSLR sling bag now but it doesn't fit all my gear. I would love a slingbag that can fit my Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 mounted on my K-7, but all bags are so dang expensive now days.