Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What bag do you use for all your equipment?
Backpack 7227.91%
Sling bag 6926.74%
Messenger/Shoulder bag 9737.60%
Hardcase 20.78%
Other 186.98%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #76
Inactive Account

I use a backpack, and carry a k7 & 100d. It has a slot for my lap top, but the k7 has a 16gb card, so I dont need it. Mine is also for extra stuff. Need a larger case since I carry all my lenses & flash with me. Since I needed a larger case, I wasted my time at ritz, and wolf camera. ( If i wanted film developed, i'd go to wally world ) My bp is as heavy as a small child now, so I guess i'll have to go with something with wheels. Their not cheep.

03-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gillies Quote
Right now I'm using a medium national geo. shoulder bag, but to be honest, it's driving me nuts. Don't get me wrong. it's a fantastic bag and I highly recommend it to anyone whose an urban photographer. My problem is that I shoot nature & landscapes which involves clamoring up slopes and wading through streams on slippery rocks and the shoulder bag keeps sliding around in front of me.
I am now looking at the National Geo small or medium backpack and I will definitely be buying one of these two.
The main reason I like Nat Geo is that they're a soft bag and have tons of exterior storage compartments. I hate rummaging through the inside of a bag looking for stuff.
Solution: Use a strap around your waist that will not only stop the bag from swinging around, but pin the weight to your hips which is much more comfortable than having it all hanging on your shoulder.

Tamrac | S-111 Restraint Strap | S11101 | B&H Photo Video
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The poll doesn't really cover my favorite style, which is the waist pack. I have at least half a dozen bags, but I use the waist packs the most. I own 2 Kata w-92 waist packs. (OK, I didn't mean to buy two, but I somehow pressed the button twice on my credit card rewards redemption, and they won't take the second one back). I really like the W92, though, and it holds just about everything I usually need. It also has a shoulder strap.

My latest waist pack is the larger PacSafe waist pack. I can put a Pentax DA case full of pancakes plus a K-x in it (tight fit), or several of the pancakes in the internal pockets without the DA case, plus the K-x (easy fit). This is not intended as a camera bag, but its advantage is that it is secure, with cut-proof steel cables running through the straps and a padlock system, its is a reasonable size, and it works well for other items. It is easy enough to add more padding to it, and with the DA case, lenses are well protected.

The other favorite is the small Domke messenger-style bag.

Last edited by GeneV; 03-02-2010 at 09:19 AM.
03-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While I have a couple of shoulder bags, my preferred bag is a regular back pack, aka book bag, with an insert for the gear. I carry other stuff, a book or magazine, maybe a layer of clothing, etc. A purpose-built camera bag just doesn't do this well.

03-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #80

I use a Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400 AW for a big "everything" shoulder bag, a Lowepro Stealth Reporter D200 aW for smaller less than everything shoulder bag, and now I'm currently using a Lowepro Fastpack 200 as an everyday backpack. Currently really loving the Fastpack. I also still own a Lowepro Slingshot 200AW, but never really liked the single strap thing, so it's in the closet waiting to get eBay'ed.
03-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Majikat Quote
I use a backpack, and carry a k7 & 100d. It has a slot for my lap top, but the k7 has a 16gb card, so I dont need it.
I hope that you don't loose 16gb worth of data, while on a trip or something
03-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does anybody know if the Kata 3n1-20 will fit the K-7 and 50-135 with the hood attached? I know it can fit the 50-135 with the hood collapsed.

03-06-2010, 05:45 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Like others I use a range of gear depending on context.

75% is a waxed cotton shoulder bag from Country Road -fits body+grip wth small primes, or zooms, and a Netbook if I need it. Lots of pockets and compartments and a wide strap. looks least like a camera bag.

Spottie II for illustrative purposes
15% Lowepro 200 sling
5% Naneu Pro K2L
5% generic soft snoot
03-08-2010, 02:48 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Does anybody know if the Kata 3n1-20 will fit the K-7 and 50-135 with the hood attached?
I don't think so... I'm 90% sure you cannot fit K-7 + 50-135 + hood in normal (forward) position in the 3n1-20. My K-m + 17-70 + hood just fits in my 3n1-20. 50-135 is approx. 6cm longer than 17-70 and its hood is also longer than 17-70's tiny hood. On the other hand it fits with reversed hood.
03-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Like others I use a range of gear depending on context.

75% is a waxed cotton shoulder bag from Country Road -fits body+grip wth small primes, or zooms, and a Netbook if I need it. Lots of pockets and compartments and a wide strap. looks least like a camera bag.

Spottie II for illustrative purposes
15% Lowepro 200 sling
5% Naneu Pro K2L
5% generic soft snoot
When did you get that? I looked on their site and they have moved onto a new line. That is pretty much just what I want too. I find it difficult carrying camera + 2 lenses and accessories in a backpack that I play an storing other things in as well and I am not a fan of messenger bags.
03-12-2010, 03:58 AM   #86

Most of the time I use a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 100 AW.
It has enough room for the K20D and grip, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, DA 18-55mm II, DA 70mm ltd, FAJ 75-300mm, a couple of filters, pens, cards, lens cloths, et al.

I also have a Mini Trekker AW, for the occasions when I need to carry more. But I find it a bit uncomfortable to wear for any sustained period. So I've been looking to replace it.
03-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #87
Pentaxian

@ Billabong32 - nearly two years ago in a store in Australia - 'made in china' tag inside though!
03-13-2010, 06:17 AM   #88
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re: What kind of bag do you prefer for your SLR equipment?

I would like a bag that didn't scream "I have my pride and joy expensive investment in here," was light, held all my gear, had quick access, built tough to knocks and bumps, and was afforadable.

Since such a thing for me doesn't exist today. I'm using one of two bags I have. For travel on planes and thing I have a Kata RC3. It is built tough and carries all my needed stuff. It has been my most expensive bag to date I have bought. I heard once a few more dollars used to protect your gear is better than fixing broken gear or buying new.

For out and about when I need to carry other things, I really like my Tamrac Velocity 5768. This bag provide me quick access and with the Tamrac system ( like some other brands ) you can add things like side filter pouches and water bottle holders.

I had a 5767, but once I got a new larger zoom lens, I sold it to a co-worker who was impressed with the bag, and graduated up. I really don't want to go any larger.

The thing I am learning as I take my camera to more places like national parks and stuff, you really don't need to bring everything with you. Less is often is better than more. Do I need USB cables and card readers? Think about were you are going, what you will be doing and what you think you might see and try to pack for that. Then maybe add one other piece of gear.
03-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Kata shoulder bag is the best bag I have tryed yet. As you can see by the pictures that it will hold whatever you need to carry, In the first photo it has a Sigma 100-300 f4 in it
As you can see by the other pictures it will carry 2 more lenses with a camera & lens in the small pack also, but I choose to carry my flash gun and 2 lenses and teleconverter in it.

03-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #90

Think Tank

Interesting thread. I've had (still have) many bags. My husband is always asking why so many, but each has a purpose for me.

I had started with the Lowepro Sling 100. Loved it until I got my Tamron 70-300 lens that wouldn't fit in the bag on the camera. I have a Lowepro Fastpak 250 for long trips or days out where I need more. The only time I have a problem with it is if I've got my heavy winter coat on. Things get a bit bulky to pull around.

My current take-with-me every day bag is a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 30. It's a bit packed, but carries my K20, 50mm, 18-250, wallet, phone, card case, spare batteries, lipstick, PDA.... It is always with me. Unless I'm going out shooting specifically and then I'll bring along a Pentax bag with extra lenses and flash and keep it in the trunk and swap out what I think I might need. Or, take the Fastpak if we'll be away from the car.

I have a small Lowepro holster bag that would hold my K20 and 18-250 I think. I've never tried it now that I think of it. I usually only use it if I'm bringing one camera and one lens when the weather or conditions will be an issue.

I love the ThinkTank. It certainly doesn't scream camera bag, which was what I was looking for. I was tired of carrying my purse and the Sling 100. They were always getting twisted.

Patty