Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What bag do you use for all your equipment?
Backpack 7227.91%
Sling bag 6926.74%
Messenger/Shoulder bag 9737.60%
Hardcase 20.78%
Other 186.98%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What kind of bag do you prefer for your SLR equipment?

Backpack, Slingbag, Messenger bag/shoulder bag, Hardcase, etc? Which do you prefer to use most and why?

I prefer backpack because they are large and are comfortable with two straps, I carry a messenger bag to carry all my books for school and it always feel like it will slide off my shoulders. I have been looking at the Pelican hardcases and I am quite interested in them but for now my Kata DR 467 will do. My Pentax sling bag should come sometime in the next 1-2 days and I will see how that will do.

10-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Shoulder bag: compromise on things I want: cheap, small, inconspicuous looking, easy access
10-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My advice is to carry a minimum of gear.
A classic shoulder bag is easiest to work from.
Be sure to check out the Domke line.

Chris
10-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two shoulder bags - one large, one small.
Haven't been on a trek or bushwalk yet to warrant getting a backpack, but that would be next on my list.

10-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have always wanted to try a sling bag - they seem convenient and easy to run with.

However I have been pretty satisfied with my Kata bag - opens away from you for easier access, can be attached to the belt (have not tried running with this, though I have ran using the handle on the top), has weather cover, and lifetime warranty.
10-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually have and use all of the above except for a backback, and I intend to pick up one of those too eventually (I don't usually have to carry lots of gear all day). I have hard cases for storing specialty lenses and flashes when I'm not using them or for travelling when my gear might get knocked around and I have 4 different types of sling and shoulder bags that are sized to carry anywhere from a body and small lens combo all the way up to 2 flashes, 2 bodies, several large lenses and accessories. Which bag I grab depends entirely on where I'm travelling and what I expect to need when I get there.
10-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have the Lowepro Fastpack 350 and love it. It is a backpack with sling bag access. I've only carried by laptop in it once but I use the laptap area to keep my assecories that can be flattened.

Lowepro - Fastpack 350

Tim

10-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the Faskpack 200. So far I am quite happy with the bag. It is real easy to take out the camera and to store it after shooting. Changing lens is a different matter, however, as I would need to dismount the bag most of the time to change a lens.
10-26-2009, 07:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I sometimes use a medium LowePro top-load zoom bag (fits the K100D, 17-70 Sigma, extra card and batteries, lens fluid and cloth) but mostly I'm going off hiking and stuff the LowePro in my regular backpack, sometimes with a couple of lenses in individual cases. Not ideal, but it's the best I've come up with that doesn't involve spending $200+ on a dedicated backpack. Given my skill level, I can't really justify that sort of cost!

Julie
10-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
Dom

Backpack, after I've got two flashguns, two bodies, 10-20mm, 800mm, 77mm, 50mm, 80-320mm, tripod and the other stuff that makes up for a days shooting when I'm out, I don't like all that weight on one shoulder. I do have a small shoulder bag if I'm traveling light.
10-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I voted Messenger, but when hiking I use a backpack custom-fitted for my needs.

both have their place depending on the expected use.
10-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I really like my kata 3n1-30 - fits a ton of stuff, and can be slung over either shoulder - has two straps that can also convert it to a backpack - I answered sling but it can be both!

LeDave, you have been loving the polls lately, eh?! If you are considering a bag, you should go to Westphoto in MPLS - they don't carry much in terms of actual cameras, but have a HUGE room full of bags of all sorts. It is a big shop, but I think they primarily do studio equipment rentals and cater to more of the business side of photography. Not much there in terms of actual cameras (don't have anything Pentax at all), but they have photography equipment out the wazoo - definitely worth a look, if you are looking at a couple of bag/carry options I think they put natcam to shame, and will probably have it there to handle (I know they have a bunch of Kata and tamrac, didn't look specifically at lowepro but probably have them too).
10-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A backpack can carry more weight but access is problematic - I found hiking with a daypack that whatever is in the pack won't get used until I stop for lunch. If I were flying with a bunch of camera equipment, that's what I would probably want to carry, but otherwise it's the one type of bag I wouldn't want.

A sling bag is really convenient, you can carry more weight than a regular shoulder bag. However, there's a limit to how much weight you can actually carry and for how long. The Lowepro Slingshot 200 can be filled to just beyond how much I can comfortably carry cross-shoulder with one strap on a half-day hike. It's very nice because I'm small enough that the bag mostly rests on my rear end instead of my back, making it easier to carry/more comfortable. I could see someone much taller perhaps finding them uncomfortable.

My opinion is that the Kata 3N1 bag is the ideal compromise - you can carry it as a regular sling bag, a regular backpack or some combination of this. The 3N1-30 bag is huge and can carry a whole lot more weight than I can carry over one shoulder, but this configuration makes it possible. I think one of the smaller bags would be fine for most people who don't have a selection of big lenses like the DA*300 and want to drag all of them along.
10-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I do agree, with the 3n1-30 full it definitely is too heavy, but being able to convert it to a backpack is a great, unique work-around.

I think I would have been ok with the 3n1-20 as well - with the only difference being the length, I would have had to flip the hood on the da 50-135 in order to get it into the back mounted on the camera. With the 3n1-30, it swallows up the whole thing, hood and all!
10-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My favour has been the Domka F-803, but not with the original insert. I am onto my 2nd one now, the 1st one was totally worn. Custom insert made it perfect. Wish it had 2" strap though.