Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Fast Battery Drain in BG2 Grip

I bought a BG2 grip for my K20D about 5 or 6 months ago (Ritz Camera closeout). Everything has been working fine until recently. I noticed that the battery (only loaded one battery and it was in the grip) discharged more rapidly than normal.

I tend to leave the power switch "ON" and let the camera go into sleep mode. When I took the camera out of the bag the battery had drained completely. This occurred with 2 different batteries so I surmise that it is not a weak battery. My guess is that I had a bad grip connection and that was draining battery power so I took the grip off the camera and reseated it.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

10-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No, but I always turn both the body and grip switch to OFF.
10-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If the grip is turned on and the camera are turned on, this is almost certainly going to drain your battery if left in an area where either of the buttons can be half-pressed for long periods of time.

I carry my K10D this way (grip and camera on) and found the battery lasts about half to 1/3 as long as when the grip is turned off!

I only recently discovered that when slung over my shoulder that the camera rests such that the grip button is half-pressed against my hip/back! Essentially metering and focusing nearly the entire time it is not being used.

I repositioned the camera, or when I cary it in a more secure fashion, the battery life returned.
So, make sure the buttons are not rubbing against the bag or something in the bag.
10-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks to the comments I happened to think of an additional variable which may be the cause of the problem. I just recently purchased a Kata 3N1 Slingbag. The position of the camera in the bag may be such that the switch is getting turned on by slight movement of the bag.

I previously had the camera in a shoulder bag that did not get turned in all sorts of directions.

I'll try turning off the switch when storing the camera.

10-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've generally been in the habit of turning the grip on when I need it, and otherwise turning it off. I find it's easier to do that than cope with the fact I'm always half-pressing the grip's shutter when trying to chimp in certain light. I haven't encountered any inordinate drain, but I'm sure that depending on the bag, that's possible. The way I rely on habits, I've just found it's easiest to have the habit of flicking the switch on before I actually use the grip's release.