Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x Focusing Screen

I'm about to buy a K3 focusing screen for my new K-x.
Now, I'd presume it is safe to order one for K-m, right? There were no changes to viewfinder or focusing screen, is that correct?
Just wanted to make sure... Don't want to spend 90 bucks just to find out it doesn't fit!

10-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
should

make sure to get one with focus brackets in case you ever use select AF point. I really want a split-image but that and spot metering are keeping me.
10-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
make sure to get one with focus brackets in case you ever use select AF point.
There are no focus brackets on third-party split-image screens. I thought I'd buy one with rule of thirds grid to sort of asses where they are, but unfortunately focus points are not on the thirds... Try live view with grid and AF points overlay, and you'll see the actual points are a bit inside the thirds lines intersections.
Spot metering really doesn't bother me. Just never used it - either center-weighted, or matrix. Matrix actually makes sense, with all the DR k-x has.
Well, I will still buy one with grids Just wanted to make sure k-x and k-m had the same screen (specs on VF and focus screen seem same)
10-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Katz eye offers pentax focus brackets. As for rule of thirds lines, focus points are significantly wider than the light that would light up, so I think that would give quite a good guideline, depending on how exactly they line up. As long as its a good enough guideline. Keep in mind you don't have 100% view in the viewfinder, only 96%, so if they are a bit inside on the liveview, they might line up in the viewfinder.

As for spot metering, its the most reliable way to get "spot-on" metering for very high DR scenes or scenes like snow. Matrix will be good for most of the scenes, but can still overexpose. In spot mode, point it to the the brightest area in a scene, meter, apply +xx amount of EC (you'd measure this once with your body, what + amount makes the area just before clipping point), and you get the most exposed shot with no clipping - the best SNR for editing.

Of course, you can always review the shot and re-shoot. The main thing holding me back is how I can tell where the focus points are. If I were to buy one, it'd be a $25 jinfinance diagonal split on ebay, which definitely doesn't come with lines. If you get it, let me know how well the circle edges line up with the points!

The K-x and K-m share the exact same physical body with buttons renamed and a mic added, so its 99% probability that they will work, but I don't think anyone has tested it.

10-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have one of the cheap ebay screens on my K20D. If you assume the K-x AF points are at same place as those on K20D, and scale of the screen is the same (probably not, but close), you can sort of draw a rectangle - with a height just a bit smaller than the diameter of the circle, and width a bit more than that diameter - then the Af points are on the vertices and middles of the sides of the rectangle.
10-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Correction K-x in Live view uses a grid which complies to "rule of fourths" Silly, but I just noticed it divides the frame into 4x4 rectangles. So, I guess, rules of thirds intersections (real ones) should be close enough to focus points. Just ordered a K3, will see how that turns out.
10-30-2009, 02:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

also curious how you will find the focus screen

I am almost exclusively using manual focus lenses on an *istDs and I am now pondering an upgrade. I still want to wait for prices dropping a bit but think that the K-x really is all I'd need but I am worried about the pentamirror viewfinder. The *istDs has the pentaprism of the K10D/K20D and I would not afford the K-7..so I want to find ou: how good is the K-x's viewfinder for manual focusing?

Can one take out the eyepiece easily to put a eyepiece enlarger and can it's focus screen be exchanged easily like on the K10/k20/*istD/Ds? ( ok, I should research, but I take it you guys will know, so why not simply ask.. )

thank you,
Andreas

10-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Correction K-x in Live view uses a grid which complies to "rule of fourths" Silly, but I just noticed it divides the frame into 4x4 rectangles. So, I guess, rules of thirds intersections (real ones) should be close enough to focus points. Just ordered a K3, will see how that turns out.
Another Correction Not really you, pbo, I should say for Pentax. Pentax also labels their LL-80 screen with grids marks as "rule of thirds" and it too is divided into four parts. Apparently Coloradans think that dividing in half and half again results in thirds rather than quarters. Must be some "New Math."

I might be mistaken but I have always called that an architectural grid not a rule of thirds grid.
10-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It doesn't have a rela rule of thirds?? what the heck?

I have a 1.35x (marked 1.3x) ebay KPS magnifier I got for $45, hopefully that will make MF easy enough for me.
10-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
It doesn't have a rela rule of thirds?? what the heck?

I have a 1.35x (marked 1.3x) ebay KPS magnifier I got for $45, hopefully that will make MF easy enough for me.
No it doesn't, it is a quarter grid. If you need rule of thirds for the K-X contact KatzEye, they only charge a $45 premium for adding the rule of thirds. Focusingscreens does not list the K-X yet on their site. Every camera in Pentax's line with LiveView also uses a quarter grid when you ask for the grid display.
10-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I just don't understand how they decided to not put rule of thirds in LiveView.
10-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I just don't understand how they decided to not put rule of thirds in LiveView.
Maybe they couldn't do the math!