Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

YongNuo Timer Shutter Release Controller TC80

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Specifications:
http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersionDescV4&view=desc&txni...ller=bewin2009

Picture of Controller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=320438285833&view=...d=454068509011

This cable timer is also called:

Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3a. Its much smaller and lighter than it looks in the pictures, about 1 1/4 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick, picket sized.

Just got it today after a 10 day shipment from Hong Kong. Cost was USA $36 on ebay

Looks to be very well built. Comes with a Lithium CR2032 battery which is supposed to last 3 years. There's no switch to turn off the timer but at 3 year life, i figure thats ok.

Even if your battery goes dead, the remote controller has a manual shutter and switch that lets one have full bulb and autofocus control on the half shutter.

With a battery, you can set a self start timer, set intervals between images, set the duration of each shot, and finally set the number of images to be made. the duration of the full shooting period can be up to 99 hours, with up to 99 images.

The controller has easy to understand instructions and feels pretty intuitive to me. The only problem i had with the switch is that the roller switch on the side relies on a direct-in push to change the settings from seconds to minutes and hours. The same roller switch relies on tangential pressure to raise or lower the numbers to be set. Putting to much pressure on the roller switch sometimes causes it to jam instead of raising the number or lowering the number because the controller goes into the direct-in channel. But one can get around this problem by using a light touch and one's fingernails rather than direct finger pressure.

the 2.5 plugin for the K10/K20, K200 and K100 cameras is gold plated, looks like.
Very nice lightweight unit - i'd buy it again. Particularly like the fact that one can use the electronic controls or the mechanical shutter controls if the battery fails.

Best wishes,

11-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Does anyone know if the Satechi TR-C Timer Remote Control for Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT, XTi, XSi, & ELAN SLR Cameras ($59 at Amazon) works with a K10d? I saw another timer that listed their Remote Control for Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT, XTi, XSi, & ELAN SLR Cameras also worked with the Pentax K10d. They both have the same connector as my Pentax shutter release for the K10d.
11-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Specifications:
http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersionDescV4&view=desc&txni...ller=bewin2009

Picture of Controller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=320438285833&view=...d=454068509011

This cable timer is also called:

Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3a. Its much smaller and lighter than it looks in the pictures, about 1 1/4 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick, picket sized.

Just got it today after a 10 day shipment from Hong Kong. Cost was USA $36 on ebay

Looks to be very well built. Comes with a Lithium CR2032 battery which is supposed to last 3 years. There's no switch to turn off the timer but at 3 year life, i figure thats ok.

Even if your battery goes dead, the remote controller has a manual shutter and switch that lets one have full bulb and autofocus control on the half shutter.

With a battery, you can set a self start timer, set intervals between images, set the duration of each shot, and finally set the number of images to be made. the duration of the full shooting period can be up to 99 hours, with up to 99 images.

The controller has easy to understand instructions and feels pretty intuitive to me. The only problem i had with the switch is that the roller switch on the side relies on a direct-in push to change the settings from seconds to minutes and hours. The same roller switch relies on tangential pressure to raise or lower the numbers to be set. Putting to much pressure on the roller switch sometimes causes it to jam instead of raising the number or lowering the number because the controller goes into the direct-in channel. But one can get around this problem by using a light touch and one's fingernails rather than direct finger pressure.

the 2.5 plugin for the K10/K20, K200 and K100 cameras is gold plated, looks like.
Very nice lightweight unit - i'd buy it again. Particularly like the fact that one can use the electronic controls or the mechanical shutter controls if the battery fails.

Best wishes,
I should have clicked on your links. I found the timer you described and the one I saw on Amazon (Satechi TR-C Timer Remote Control ) for 1/2 the price. Here is the link: Timer Remote Control for Canon EOS Rebel XT XTi XSi T1i - eBay (item 220502368117 end time Nov-28-09 01:30:51 PST).
11-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These timers work extremely well with the K10D/K20D cameras. The plug used by some Canon cameras is identical to the plug used by Pentax in those two cameras and the wiring diagram is the same.

One not about the instructions. If you are specifying a number of images to take you can only choose to shoot 1-399 shots. If you select 0 shots it will keep going until you shut it off. So don't think you can't take more than 399 shots, many people are confused about that aspect.

Another note, all of these timers seem to be made from the same chipset. They almost all universally have the same readout screen and the same instructions, they only differ in the size and style of the packaging.

12-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
This is an excellent device. I use it a lot for time-lapse photography. Its reliability suffers in cold condition (around 0 deg C), any sudden jolt would reset the device. The solution is to make sure it's secured nicely before use in cold condition. Under normal temperature it works like a charm.

I use a piece of paper on top of the battery to "turn off" the device when not in use.
12-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have also been very happy with this product on the K10d and K20d.

Now, if I could just get around to hacking my 645 to fit the plug.