Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Opinions on Slik Sprint Pro II with 3 way head and a k100D and sigma 105 macro?

Hi

I am looking to get the Slik sprint pro II with a 704E 3-way head for my wife.
Slik Sprint Pro 3-Way II Tripod - Digital Camera Warehouse Australia

I have also given my k100D to her and we will add a sigma 105 macro to our lens group very soon.

As she likes to take macro photos, the total weight of the k100D + sigma 105 combo is 660g (k100d) + 460g (sigma 105) = 1120g. The slik sprint pro II can handle up to 2kg.

Just want to know some user's feedback on using this tripod? A while ago one of the forumer did a review on this tripod but there hasn't been much discussion on this tripod ever since. Keen to know more feedbacks and if I should consider other alternatives.

11-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the ballhead version of that tripod and find that it is a little wimpy with substantial weight. With my K10D and a Tamron 90mm/2.8 Macro lens, either the ball slips slightly or the camera twists on the baseplate when in portrait orientation. I kept the tripod for my lighter film cameras but now that I have a CF tripod that is just as light and compact but far more sturdy, the Slik will probably be sold.
11-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.

Is the ball head itself that is flimsy or the legs too? Do u reckon the 3-way pan-tilt head will be more sturdy than the ball head version?
11-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Read the specs carefully! The 2kgs load is only for "balanced" loads, unbalanced (as would be your combo) it is only rated at 1.3kgs, which is very much the weight of your intended combo. That pushes the tripod to its limits. I trust that Slik will not ly too much about the load capacity, but your are already at the limit. As macro affords even more stability than standard shooting conditions, I would look for a more substantial solution.

Ben

11-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's a very good point. Can you recommend other tripods which can carry the load I intended but are just as light as the slik and won't cost an arm or a leg? This tripod will be used by my wife and so i am trying to get one which is as compact as possible.
11-06-2009, 01:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
That's a very good point. Can you recommend other tripods which can carry the load I intended but are just as light as the slik and won't cost an arm or a leg? This tripod will be used by my wife and so i am trying to get one which is as compact as possible.
Unfortunately that's the rub. You may find some tripods that are sturdier and are a little more expensive (but no where near as compact and lightweight), but to get compact, lightweight and super-stable, you are talking $$$.
11-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I can recommend the Velbon Sherpa Pro carbon fibre tripods. Yes, they are more expensive, but if you do a little search, you'll find them at very competitive prices. I have a small Sherpa Pro 540, which weighs about the same as the Slik, you contemplated. I added a Novoflex Ball 30, because it has about the same load capacity as the Sherpa Pro (app. 4 - 5kg) and is very lightweight itself (225g) - so its an excellent match. This combination will easily carry your envisaged equipment and leaves enough room for bigger and heavier equipment too, but is light and small enough to carry it around all day.

Ben