Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Pentax Spot Meter III

I've got the opportunity to pick up an old Pentax Spot Meter III for what seems like a bargain. Less than $50.

Has anyone had any experience with these?

Is it a Bargain?

Is there anything I should look for when I inspect it? (If I do?)

Thanks

11-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I have one of those sitting around here someplace. They aren't colour blind, which in my opinion makes them useless.
11-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think Pentax Spotmeter III and the one in this thread are the same.

When I peeled of the decals (I think it is the one on top of the meter), I found another decal saying something like "Pentax Spotmeter."

If the meter is in working condition, $50 is a decent price. I don't use it the meter that much, but it's very educational (and entertaining) to determine the dynamic range of the scene. My son can spend hours with it. How can you find such a fun and useful toy for a 13 yr old boy!

One of the problems with this meter (and many other old battery-operated instruments) is that it uses 1.35V mercury battery cells, which are no longer made. In this case, I have to re-calibrate it (details in the afore-mentioned thread).

I found the manual on-line.
11-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lats Quote
I've got the opportunity to pick up an old Pentax Spot Meter III for what seems like a bargain. Less than $50.

Has anyone had any experience with these?

Is it a Bargain?

Is there anything I should look for when I inspect it? (If I do?)

Thanks
Look for a Zone VI sticker +/or a curved label around the dial that has zone markings on it. These will indicate that it was calibrated and adjusted (and made color blind) by Zone VI Studios. If it has thenm (or either), smile politely and hand over the money (and run).
P.S. mine uses std 9V battery

11-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Look for a Zone VI sticker +/or a curved label around the dial that has zone markings on it. These will indicate that it was calibrated and adjusted (and made color blind) by Zone VI Studios. If it has thenm (or either), smile politely and hand over the money (and run).
P.S. mine uses std 9V battery
Zone VI sold the dial labels separately, so the presence of this label on it's own is no guarantee that the meter was Zone VI modified. Meters that they modified had a Zone VI studios label applied to the meter body itself.