Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #1

K20D double-split focusing screen - what the heck did they send me?

I bought a double-split focusing screen for my K20D. It took a month to get here, as everything from HK always does (thank you, italian postal service).
The auction had this picture in it:

But what I received is this:

Should I try snapping/cutting those tabs off? Or should I just try to put this in the camera?

Or was I was sent a screen for a wrong model (despite the small plastic box clearly saying "for K10D/K20D")?

11-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Inactive Account

It won't fit with all those tabs sticking out.
Make sure the screen is the right width and length first. If it is, you could carefully cut off the extra tabs.

Or, send it back and wait another two months or so.
11-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Size is exactly the same as the one in my camera (I just took it out), even the width is the same.

How do I cut them off without breaking the screen?
Are screens made of glass or plastic?

Edit: I'm wondering what camera this even fits. I just googled for focusing screens for Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus, and I wasn't able to find one with tabs like the one I got.

Last edited by Fallingwater; 11-05-2009 at 11:14 AM.
11-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yuck, request a new one.

11-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Inactive Account

They are plastic. I personally would get a refund and buy locally. Might cost more, but then you don't have the two month turn around.
11-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I shouldn't. But you could use a small belt sander to remove the tabs. I use one to make screens all the time. But it takes a careful touch. And wear latex gloves.
11-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect that whatever you do to that screen to make it fit is going to damage it. Send it back and get one that passed quality control.
That one still has the molding tabs on it.

11-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
Well, I cut the plastic tabs off with a hobby knife, then shaved off the remains with a bench grinder and a lot of care.
The screen survived with minimal damage, and now works as it should. It's not spotlessly clean or defect-free; I don't know if it was like that to begin with, or if I damaged it slightly while I was working with it. In any case, what imperfections it has aren't critical, and the split arrangement works. I'm happier now than I was before, so I consider the whole experience a success.
11-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Bad QC screen

QuoteOriginally posted by Fallingwater Quote
Well, I cut the plastic tabs off with a hobby knife, then shaved off the remains with a bench grinder and a lot of care.
The screen survived with minimal damage, and now works as it should. It's not spotlessly clean or defect-free; I don't know if it was like that to begin with, or if I damaged it slightly while I was working with it. In any case, what imperfections it has aren't critical, and the split arrangement works. I'm happier now than I was before, so I consider the whole experience a success.
Tell us please who you ordered it from so that we can avoid using that company.