Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2007, 04:34 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Recommendations on backpack style bag

I am looking for a convenient bag, preferably in the back pack style (easy to tote with my tots!) Most I have seen are >$100 which I don't mind spending but I don't have a retailer in my area to try out the bag.

I have a K100, 3 lenses and the 540 flash. I don't want to out grow this bag too soon so I would like space for a few more lenses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jennifer

06-05-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
Inactive Account

There are no Ritz Camera shops in Atlanta? Anyway, I have a Lowepro Mini-Trekker AW which holds a ton of stuff and is very comfortable (although somewhat heavy when full). Only problem with the backpack-style is you have to remove it from your back and put it down to get stuff out of it, so it's somewhat inconvienent to change lenses. I much prefer my Lowepro Nova 4 for ease of use (except it can hurt my shoulders after 3-4 hours and it doesn't hold as much)

Here's my Mini-trekker filled up with stuff -

There is also the MicroTrekker which should hold your stuff, but wouldn't have as much room to grow. Good luck!
06-05-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have and whole-heartedly recommend my Tamrac Expedition 5 backpack. I can store more than I need, only restricted by the weight of it all, yet it is light and comfortable when packed normally.

It is weather-resistant, and I have had it out in thunderstorms (and the Pacific Northwest) without worry.

It also employs an accessory system that allows you to add extra storage and velcro it to the various attachment points on the bag, which is incredibly convenient. I have an external pouch for my Super-Takumar 300/4 that slips nicely onto either side of the bag.
06-05-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jennifer Quote
I am looking for a convenient bag, preferably in the back pack style (easy to tote with my tots!) Most I have seen are >$100 which I don't mind spending but I don't have a retailer in my area to try out the bag.

I have a K100, 3 lenses and the 540 flash. I don't want to out grow this bag too soon so I would like space for a few more lenses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jennifer
I have the same issue you do. Carrrying camera + youngsters.

My most often used backpack is the Lowepro Rover AW. The top is a large empty compartment, useful for extra clothes, food, etc. The bottom is a padded camera bag with dividers. Lots of pockets for storing things plus external straps for a tripod or clothes. It's not too big, not too small.

06-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I have the Tamrac Adventure 9 backpack which also holds a laptop. It holds my K10d with grip, external flash, Fa 77, DFA 100, Tamron 17-35 and 28-75(mounted on camera), fa 50 1.4 and DA 50-200. Space for the laptop is great for family trips when I want to download photos or work on photos while away from home. I also like the fact that the bag looks more like a backpack and not a camerabag. Hoping to fool those who might want to steal it.
Tamrac - Model 5549 - Adventure 9 Photo/Computer Backpack
06-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #6

You should think in what kind of situations you are using your backpack.

If you go just shooting, that is: no need for other stuff than photo equipment, these "photo only" ones are good.

But if you need other daytrip related items, that is: jacket, food, raincoat etc., Lowe Pro Rover/Orion Trekker/Tamrac Adventure 9 or 7 style backpacks are better.

I just sold my Tamrac Computrekker and bought an Lowe Pro Rover AW II because Tamrac didnt have any proper place for daytrip stuff. Putting your sandwiches or raincoat to compartments dedicated for lenses is......

Rover is better for travelling and daytrips.
06-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks!

Egordon99 - there are both Ritz and Wolf Camera stores, but the larger stores are about 50 miles away, and I have found that stock varies greatly from store to store.

Thanks for posting photos of your bags and giving me ideas about what I really need. The laptop portion is not as important, but the separate section for snacks and supplies is really a must.

Thanks again! I'll post when I make my purchase.

06-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jennifer Quote
The laptop portion is not as important, but the separate section for snacks and supplies is really a must.
Then you need the Lowepro "Rover" series. As mentioned, there are several variants. Just make sure you get, at a minimum, a version with the AW ("all weather") designation. They come with a pull-out plastic shell at the bottom of the backpack to cover the bag in case of rain. It's not waterproof, but it will help. The sides also come with handy pouches for water bottles, food & misc. equipment.
06-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #9

Try the Lowepro SlingShot series

I'm very happy with my Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW. I currently have it packed with 5 separate lenses and an *istD with an additional lens attached. (I could replace one of the lenses with a flash.) It should be within your price range.

The advantage of the SlingShot is that you wear it like a backpack, and have access to its contents without having to remove it from your body. You simply move it (sling it?) from the back of your body, under your left arm, to the front of your body. It then presents the contents in an easily accessible manner.

The 300 holds still more (e.g., 2 additional lenses) for an another $20, but I find the fully loaded 200 enough to carry.

Larry in Dallas
06-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #10

I have been using the LP Slingshot 200 for over a year now. The gear list, the tot & snack requirement you give may not be quite the ticket for a Slingshot rec. For me I have used it for my DS and now my K10D/grip. I have a hard time getting the 540 in comfortably with body/lens, and 3 other lensesesesss. Normally, a full load for me is to put my 540 in a LP lens tube and strap it to the 200 along with a monopod, and carry 5 lenses inside the 200. I also carry a cleaning kit, and a few filters and hoods. There is not too much room left for snacks. I love the Slingshot. At the time I reluctantly bought it because I thought I wanted the then not even announced 300. After more than a years use I know I don't. If I put enough of my camera gear in to fill a 300 it would be just to heavy to be comfortable for any length of time. As it is now I only load my 200 right up if I am going away or something and then pair it down for actually wandering around to shoot. The tot and snack thing leads me to the conclusion is that you will want backpack rather than a slingshot style.

In reality you will want several different bags. Just think of it as shoes or purses - you can't have just one pair of shoes or just one purse.
06-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #11

I will also recommend the Tamrac Expedition 5 backpack. After going through 3 other camera bags, this one is a winner. Perfect amount of capacity. I carry two camera bodies (istdl, k10d w/battery grip), 8 lenses, af-540fgz flash, 6 sets of rechargable batteries, 4 sd cards, a lens cleaning kit, cables, body and lens caps, filters, a 1.4x teleconverter, two tripod mounting plates, a mini tripod, an ipod, a cell phone and a bottle of water and I still have room for some small goodies or snacks. The backpack distributes weight really well and it is very comfortable. All this and it is still relatively a small backpack and fits on an airplane as a carry on.
06-12-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I'm looking at getting a Tamrac Adventure 7 or 9 but no local shops stock them so it looks like I will have to order off the internet. Can someone give me an idea of the size of these backpacks? I'm pretty sure I want one of them as I can't find anything else that fulfils my requirements (discreet, backpack, seperate compartment etc). I just can't decide 7 or 9!

Thanks

P.S. great forum - this is my first post but i've been reading for hours prior to making this! :P

Last edited by pixelpruner; 06-12-2007 at 04:14 PM.
06-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
I'm looking at getting a Tamrac Adventure 7 or 9 but no local shops stock them so it looks like I will have to order off the internet. Can someone give me an idea of the size of these backpacks? I'm pretty sure I want one of them as I can't find anything else that fulfils my requirements (discreet, backpack, seperate compartment etc). I just can't decide 7 or 9!

Thanks

P.S. great forum - this is my first post but i've been reading for hours prior to making this! :P
Welcome to the forum. I have the Adventure 9. I find it really useful. Here is a photo showing the Adventure 9 next to the 15 inch laptop that fits in it and a Pentax Flashgun for size purposes.

I am not sure what happened to the orientation of the photo. I am late for a meeting, but will try to fix it later.

Last edited by Wethphotography; 06-12-2007 at 04:55 PM. Reason: fixed image--to heck with my meeting.
06-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote

I love the Slingshot. At the time I reluctantly bought it because I thought I wanted the then not even announced 300. After more than a years use I know I don't. If I put enough of my camera gear in to fill a 300 it would be just to heavy to be comfortable for any length of time. As it is now I only load my 200 right up if I am going away or something and then pair it down for actually wandering around to shoot. The tot and snack thing leads me to the conclusion is that you will want backpack rather than a slingshot style.

In reality you will want several different bags. Just think of it as shoes or purses - you can't have just one pair of shoes or just one purse.
I have both the 200 and the 300. (My wife doesn't understand why I need both, but then I don't understand why she needs 3 dozen pairs of shoes). The 200 is fine for carrying a body with a lens mounted, and up to four rather small extra items (e.g., small Limited lenses). When you try to add larger lenses or flash units, it gets a bit cramped for my taste. It does have a separate compartment on top, but it is rather small. Plus the single shoulder strap is not the best for carrying a lot of weight. I usually carry in the 200 a K10D with DA 12-24, a DFA 50mm Macro, and either a FA 77 Limited or an FA 135mm f2.8 (or sometimes both).

The 300 is much larger, with 6 compartments for extras, each of which is larger than the 200's compartments. The separate non-camera compartment is also much larger. Plus, it has a padded hip belt like a real backpack to transfer the weight to your hips. It would be a good choice for the O.P., with plenty of room for all current and future gear and lots of room from snacks and water (in a completely separate section). You do need to unstrap the hip belt to sling the bag around, but it is certainly more convenient than a backpack. I use mine when I want to carry my Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX DG which is 8 inches long and over 3 lbs, so it doesn't fit in the 200.

Of course, for a lot of weight and/or a lot of walking/hiking, there is no substitute for a real backpack. I use a regular hiking backpack from REI with Domke inserts for photo gear. I prefer a regular backpack over the dedicated camera backpacks, but I don't carry a ton of gear on long outings.
06-13-2007, 03:09 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Wow thanks Erl!

It does look kinda large though the adventure 9. My main concern is that I'm going to the US this summer and want something I can take as hand luggage. On the Tamrac website it says that both Adventure 7 and 9 can be taken on a plane, but I checked the Adventure 9 and some of the dimensions are a little over depending on the airline. And I actually don't want a huge bag if I go on some urban exploration. Argh!

But then I'm not sure if the Adventure 7 will take all my stuff. It won't struggle with my camera equipment, but the compartment above doesn't look huge. Maybe I will have to travel for an hour or two to go have a look at one of these.

Thanks again.