Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #1

Do they make this kind of case for Pentax DSLRs?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am about to get my first DSLR and am looking for a case which I believe is termed a slim case. I have this type of case on my old Minolta SRT 101 and absolutely love it. The attached images show what I am talking.

The DSLR I am getting is the new Pentax K-x and will initially be paired with a FA 35mm F/2, so the case wouldn't need to be overly long for carrying around purposes. I realize the K-x (or DSLRs in general) is kind of a weird shape (with the right hand grip) and the large LCD on the rear with many buttons on the back too. So is there anything similar to my case I have for my old SLR that I can get for my new camera? People on this forum seem to know everything so I hope someone can help me out. Thanks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
11-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum: I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

This sort of case will be familiar to many of us who cut their teeth back in the 70s or earlier. It was usually called an 'ever-ready case' or ERC, but was commonly referred to as the 'never-ready case' as you could never get it off the camera in a hurry if you needed to change film, or if you didn't remove the front when shooting it flapped in front of the lens! In its defense I would note that the bottom half makes the MX more comfortable to hold.

I'm not aware of anything exactly like it these days - the nearest I can think of would be a neoprene case. There are a couple of links below.
Zing
Op/Tech
My wife sometimes uses a Zing in her *ist DL
11-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
First, thanks for telling me what its called so that I can do some digging a bit bit more efficiently. Second, you are write that the ERC isn't super quick, but I liked the look and felt good having something over my camera when I was just carrying that. Guess a holster could even do that job though.

Thanks for the ideas, and anyone else out there, please chime in.

EDIT: Found a bunch of links now
B&H Photo

and I guess just holsters would probably be better, like the pentax one for cheap, or even the Kata DH-425.

Any recommendations?

Last edited by neely615; 11-10-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: add links
11-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Talisker's got the closest I know of in particular to the 'neverready' case.

The big drawback of them that I see is that they tend to not accept hoods or different lenses.

As holster-style cases go, there's a number of them out there, in many shapes and sizes. Or, one thing that works pretty nice for smaller cameras is to simply get a Domke insert and stick such in any bag you please. I've even got a dressy-ish handbag that can hold a smallish camera for any fancy evenings, that way.

11-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax themselves make neoprene cases for their DSLRs, but they're not officially distributed in the USA. Hence unless you have a friend who can get one - most likely from Asia - then your best bet is Ebay.

For the K-x, you're looking for the "O-CC84" case, which was also used for the K-m/K2000.

"o-cc84" - Google Search
11-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Adorama had the Samsung SCP-D1 Eveready Case for the GX-1S and GX-1L Digital SLR Cameras for $4.95 when I posted my tread asking if anyone had tried it with the K-M. No one replied so I still don't know if it will work. I can only find it for $50 at B&H now.

I checked the dimensions of the K-M/K2000/K-X, 122.5mm x 91.5mm x 67.5mm (4.8 x 3.6 x 2.7 in), against the dimensions of the istDS, 125 x 93 x 66 mm (4.9 x 3.6 x 2.6 in, and it looks like it is pretty close.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 11-11-2009 at 05:49 PM.
11-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
So, the Pentax case the same "style" as the Samsung, though the Samsung might be more water resistant with that nylon shell.

As for dimensions on the Samsung one, it seems like it would work just fine since I won't be carrying around my K-x with a superzoom.

Also, to all, these cases are exactly what I am thinking about, though $50 is a bit pricey.

Here is the O-CC84 on Ebay for ~$64 after shipping (to US).

Keep the ideas coming please.

11-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Can you tell us what you most liked about the old style case, and how you would like to wear it, Neely?

If you don't like the prices, you can haunt Ebay for some last years' models. There are a bunch of Lowepro things there which don't go for much if they aren't too fancy. We've got one in which my sweetie carries my old bridge camera (Wrong size, or I'd suggest it) that came quite cheap, and there are other models. You could also use something non-camera-shaped: with a holster case, the benefit of trying to match your camera/lens/hood/etc combo's shape becomes less of a thing I'd worry about, the shorter the lens.
11-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
Not to sound overly concerned with aesthetics, but my favorite thing about the old case was that I liked carrying the camera around over my shoulder (and on my back) feeling like it was somewhat protected. For instance, if I was going out for a walk on the beach, I could throw it on without having to grab anything but the camera and not worry about sand getting in it.

Also, I really dug the leather and the overall retro look of it which made me feel a little less conspicuous if walking around in a big city. That's probably one reason I can't see myself getting a Zing; just don't like the neoprene look. But, this is also the reason the Domke bags could work well, though if I want a bag, I will just get an insert and throw it in a bag I already have.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Can you tell us what you most liked about the old style case, and how you would like to wear it, Neely? ... non-camera-shaped: with a holster case, the benefit of trying to match your camera/lens/hood/etc combo's shape becomes less of a thing I'd worry about, the shorter the lens.
11-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neely615 Quote
Not to sound overly concerned with aesthetics, but my favorite thing about the old case was that I liked carrying the camera around over my shoulder (and on my back) feeling like it was somewhat protected. For instance, if I was going out for a walk on the beach, I could throw it on without having to grab anything but the camera and not worry about sand getting in it.

Also, I really dug the leather and the overall retro look of it which made me feel a little less conspicuous if walking around in a big city. That's probably one reason I can't see myself getting a Zing; just don't like the neoprene look. But, this is also the reason the Domke bags could work well, though if I want a bag, I will just get an insert and throw it in a bag I already have.
Hrm, well, if you already have a bag or bags you already have and like, the insert idea's not bad. The 'Neverready case' was originally made back when decent leatherwork wasn't that pricey, and also when most people who bought SLR's would never likely change lenses... ever. Also, lines of camera bodies could go about a decade without changing shape. The aftermarket has a hard time keeping up with such things, nowadays.

I think you're on the right track, anyway. Holster bags work nice and are very obviously containing a camera. Other things exist in abundance, though most are made for camera+zoom lens, rather than camera+prime lens. If you keep the hood on there, though, much will fit nicely.
11-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a standard holster case
11-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

I was looking for something similar myself, but...
They don't make new ones like that and the problem is that the righthand grip just won't fit into any of the old cases I've seen. One optoin would be to have case that would screw into the tripod screw and then slings over to protect just lens and central part of camera (prism dome, VF, LCD) but leaves grip exposed. How ideal that would be is one thing in question... But I haven't seen anything like that either
oh well, maybe one day...

BR
Peter