Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Focusing Aid

I stayed with AF on My pentax K100D most of the time but now I am forcing myself to learn accurate MF, that is to keeping in mind the LBA of great MF lenses of old era.
The problem I am facing is in many cases MF is not very accurate and that is due to user error-specially in low light/low contrast situations I am not able to MF very accurately-the scene on PC looks soft but on LCD they look OK while taking the shots.

So I am considering a good focusing aid for my Pentad K100D. I read few things about Katz eye but heard it affects the accuracy of metering while Pentax themselves are offering matte and crosswire type focusing aids Li-60 and Li80, I guess LI-60 is compatible with K100D which is not available on pentax online store though. I also saw a 1.2x magnifier sold by pentax which fits all pentax dslrs.

Now I want opinion from forum members on this matter. What will be the best solution for me to have focusing aid? Katz eye?, LI-60 screen or just 1.2x magnifier eyecup?

Does Katz eye worth the cost? They are about 100$, I'm not sure about used ones though.

Atindra

11-11-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Atindra, I bought me a split screen like the Katz, but I ordered it (via a detour) from 'The Chinese'. Much cheaper! I like it, and although it affects metering, it doesn't bother me. On my K20, metering with manual lenses was off anyways. As for the effect: without split screen, my ratio IN focus:OUT focus was about 20:80 (yeah I know, I had to learn my new camera too....), with the split screen it is about 90:10, probably even better....
11-11-2009, 02:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've got both a katz eye and a 1.2x magnifying eye-cup - the katz eye definitely makes the most difference. I bought one secondhand in the marketplace here (without the optibrite treatment) for +/- $80, but a number of threads suggest that you can get one of the Chinese screens that are just as effective. Personally I've had no metering problems with mine insofar as with old manual lenses I had to apply exposure compensation anyway and the degree to which I have to compensate hasn't changed.

Like Rense, my success rate in terms of shots in focus with manual lenses has gone up exponentially. The 1.2x magnifier isn't bad, but it does little to help without a split screen in my opinion.
11-11-2009, 02:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Rense, its a great improvement. How easy installing and uninstalling this split screen on VF? Does it stay on it always? I guess we just need to stick it on the mirror right?

Atindra

11-11-2009, 02:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
I've got both a katz eye and a 1.2x magnifying eye-cup - the katz eye definitely makes the most difference. I bought one secondhand in the marketplace here (without the optibrite treatment) for +/- $80, but a number of threads suggest that you can get one of the Chinese screens that are just as effective. Personally I've had no metering problems with mine insofar as with old manual lenses I had to apply exposure compensation anyway and the degree to which I have to compensate hasn't changed.

Like Rense, my success rate in terms of shots in focus with manual lenses has gone up exponentially. The 1.2x magnifier isn't bad, but it does little to help without a split screen in my opinion.
hmm... thanks. I guess I would go for Katz eye with optibright the only hesitation I have is I may sell my K100D in near future and go for most probably K-7. Now same split screen wont fit on both so I need to buy it again ()
1.2x eyecup is not expensive and it fits all the Pentax dslr, so first I'll buy that one and then accumulate funds for K-7...

Atindra
11-11-2009, 03:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
How easy installing and uninstalling this split screen on VF? Does it stay on it always? I guess we just need to stick it on the mirror right?
Installation is quick and easy. It's actually above the mirror (under the prism/whatever). There's a little metal frame that's hinged and when unclicked falls down toward the mirror, you remove the existing focus screen with the tool provided and replace it with the new one. It's a pretty painless process and only takes a few minutes. Katz Eye have some tutorials with images here.

Yeah, if you're thinking of changing bodies and it won't be compatible you could do worse than get the magnifying eye-cup in the meantime. Alternatively, look at a cheap Chinese screen for the current camera and then it won't seem so bad having to buy another for the new one.
11-11-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you do a search in the Camera and Studio Accessories - PentaxForums.com sub-forum there are 4 pages of results talking about focusing screens.

11-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
Installation is quick and easy. It's actually above the mirror (under the prism/whatever). There's a little metal frame that's hinged and when unclicked falls down toward the mirror, you remove the existing focus screen with the tool provided and replace it with the new one. It's a pretty painless process and only takes a few minutes. Katz Eye have some tutorials with images here.

Yeah, if you're thinking of changing bodies and it won't be compatible you could do worse than get the magnifying eye-cup in the meantime. Alternatively, look at a cheap Chinese screen for the current camera and then it won't seem so bad having to buy another for the new one.
QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
If you do a search in the Camera and Studio Accessories - PentaxForums.com sub-forum there are 4 pages of results talking about focusing screens.
Thanks both of you.

Atindra