Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

beginning studio

I would like to do a small photo shoot taking family pictures at a family gathering. I've decided to use this exercise to expand my equipment.

I have a K10D with no external flash unit.

I am thinking of picking up a four strobe kit, since for not a lot of money this gives me four more-or-less OK strobes (160 w/s seems to be about average). For example, $398 from Cowboy Studios gives me this, with a couple of softboxes, etc. This seems like a reasonable beginning deal. (CowboyStudio Photography Lighting Equipment | Studio Accessories)

But. How do I control those flashes? It seems the K10D, as of firmware 1.3, can use the pop up flash as a controller. That seems like it will be OK. I can use a cheap or more expensive radio trigger, and that seems OK, too, for portrait use.

I would like to put these flashes to other uses, and possibly even more than portraits (water drop photography has been very interesting to me lately), so I would like to set myself up for the future.

I am money ahead to purchase a AF-540FGZ as use it as a controller?

Would I be money ahead and purchase TWO AF-540FGZ (giving me TTL stuff, right?) and getting el-cheapo lights for the other ones I need?

I have searched this forum and several others, but just can't get a definitive answer. I figured I would just ask the question If this has been answered before--and it seems likely it has--a pointer to that thread would be appreciated (and then I apologize for not finding that in the first place)

Thank you very much!

Last edited by ifringe; 11-13-2009 at 08:03 AM.
11-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If you want to shoot studio, then buy studio equipment. I'd take the equipment you linked to over a cobbled together Rube Goldberg shoe mount flash any day. You can fire the flashes with a sync cord, a wireless trigger (the best) or your on camera flash (worst possible choice, but do whatever floats your boat).
They appear to have continuous variable power output.
I wouldn't expect them to be really well made units for that price, but sometimes it's amazing what the Chinese can make and practically give away, so they might not be too bad either.
11-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There seems to be some remarkable deals on that site... does anyone have any experience with this Cowboy Studio gear?
11-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you want to shoot studio, then buy studio equipment.
Thank you... that seems to be the prevailing wisdom I have received!