Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tripod for K20?

Hi,

I know there have been a lot of tripod discussion on this & other forums. I need a good tripod to mount my K20 on. The biggest lens I have at the moment is a Vivitar Series 1 70-210. I also have a Vivitar 285HV flash. I am 5'9" tall.

I will be using this tripod outdoors a lot. I would like to be able to point it straight down at the ground. I would also like to be able to shoot very low to the ground with it. I would be willing to use an aluminum tripod if it cuts the cost considerably. I would like to keep the price to around $300 for the tripod, head, & plate. Am I asking the impossible? I have read great things about Gitzo & Manfrotto from various people. The problem is that there are too many of these to choose from. I am nowhere near a good camera store so I'm trying to narrow the field a little before I have to drive a couple of hours to see one of these in person.

I would really appreciate any thoughts and opinions of specific setups you are using.

Thanks!

George

11-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just picked up this tripod at an auction along with a Manfrotto 410 Gear head. I think it fits your description pretty well and it feel pretty sturdy to me. I have to admit that I havn't extended the center column all the way with a camera attached, as I'm not as tall as you are.

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 3021BPRO Professional Tripod without Head (Black): Camera & Photo

It has...

*Easy switching between low angle and normal shooting with center column design
*Leg warmers on two legs keeps hands protected in cold weather
*Double-positioning vertical and horizontal center column (Since the center column comes out and repositions as a horizontal arm, it does not have gears and must be adjusted by loosening the lever and moving the camera/column by hand)
*Rapid-action lever leg locks with just 45-degree run
69.3-inch maximum height with center column, 13.3-pound maximum load

I also have an extra 410 gear head for sale in the marketplace. I don't think the tripod I am selling will meet your needs but I will separate them.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/78482-sale-ma...ared-head.html

Tim
11-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can also vouch for the Manfrotto non-carbon fibre range. Carbon fibre is great, but expensive, whereas the basic 190XPROB and 055 series tripods are excellent, easy to use and sturdy (I have the 190PROB).

For heads, even something as basic as the 486RC2 may do the job for you. Supports up to 6kgs and has a good quality QR plate.
11-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gsrokmix Quote
Hi,

I know there have been a lot of tripod discussion on this & other forums. I need a good tripod to mount my K20 on. The biggest lens I have at the moment is a Vivitar Series 1 70-210. I also have a Vivitar 285HV flash. I am 5'9" tall.

I will be using this tripod outdoors a lot. I would like to be able to point it straight down at the ground. I would also like to be able to shoot very low to the ground with it. I would be willing to use an aluminum tripod if it cuts the cost considerably. I would like to keep the price to around $300 for the tripod, head, & plate. Am I asking the impossible? I have read great things about Gitzo & Manfrotto from various people. The problem is that there are too many of these to choose from. I am nowhere near a good camera store so I'm trying to narrow the field a little before I have to drive a couple of hours to see one of these in person.

I would really appreciate any thoughts and opinions of specific setups you are using.

Thanks!

George
G'day George,
I would approach this a little differently given that you say you are going to have drive some distance/time to get to a store. (and I believe you are doing the right thing in wanting to 'road test' it for yourself).
My wife & I have just gone through the process....but we had a wide choice to look at.

My advice is to ring the stores you plan on visiting and see what they carry in stock and then do your homework on those makes/models, rather than do a lot of leg work to only discover that what you like is not stocked.

You will need something that will hold min 5-6 kg. Heads is a very personal choice.
Ash's comments are on the money, I have the 055 but am eyeing off a Slik CF 814.
Pay particular attention to the folded height if you think the tripod may travel by air for fitting in luggage.

Good luck
Grant

11-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to all who responded so far. I will check all of these out. I'm afraid I'll have to check some heads out in person to see what I like. I assume that any of these tripods would also serve my lightweight Mini DV camcorder as well?

Thanks again!

George