Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #1

Eye-Fi warning

I bought an Eye-Fi SD-card. Bad idea. I guess this goes for K-20s as well. The card doesn't work with my GX-20.

"I just checked with the engineering team about this and they advised me that Samsung camera does not work very well with our Eye-Fi card they have made the recommendation that you return the Eye-Fi card or use it in another camera."

Don't buy...

11-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LOL...what in the world did the eyefi people mean by "does not work very well"?
Like not at all? :-)

Thanks for the heads up...you might want to do the wireless USB adapter hack...I would if I had a netbook (though you have to wonder why Pentax yanked tethering support on the K7 and Kx)-:
02-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
Just a quick update. I managed to swap the card for a very nice Lee filter system with 10+ filters (not of the expensive glass variety though), two filter holders, a set of adapters (52-96mm) and a compendium. May very well be the best deal I've done in a while.

And eye.fi have officially announced that they don't support Pentax DSLR's.
02-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Someone else on the forum has stated it works perfectly in the K-x, including video transfers. He also stated he had purchased it knowing it was listed as not working with the K20d...perhaps due to your situation. I assume it still worked as an SD storage device though.

Maybe it doesn't work due to the sealing characteristics of the K20d, is it a heavy, dense, sealed camera which might very well inhibit the cards' ability to transmit data.

On the subject of your trade, I hope you got a #87 filter in that bundle for some IR work!

02-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Forum Member

I have the 4GB Pro and 2GB Explorer versions of the Eye-Fi and they work fine with pics from the K-7. Haven't tested video on the pro version yet, however. I would think that it may be too slow to capture video from the K-7. Also, the slow upload time would likely be prohibitive. Overall, I like the cards very much.
02-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I have one of the originals. Only transfers jpegs. 2 gb. but works fine with my k10d and k110d
02-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
Good for all of you who got this to work, but it should be stressed, that eye.fi is stating quite clearly on their website that they do not support Pentax DSLRs.
02-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thomascdk Quote
Good for all of you who got this to work, but it should be stressed, that eye.fi is stating quite clearly on their website that they do not support Pentax DSLRs.
Bummer. You've got to have a thick skin to be a Pentaxian, and accept that third party support is going to be somewhat scarce.

03-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by thomascdk Quote
I bought an Eye-Fi SD-card. Bad idea. I guess this goes for K-20s as well. The card doesn't work with my GX-20.

"I just checked with the engineering team about this and they advised me that Samsung camera does not work very well with our Eye-Fi card they have made the recommendation that you return the Eye-Fi card or use it in another camera."

Don't buy...
Either things have changed since this post or you haven't properly set the card up.

I wasn't going to buy an Eye-Fi after reading this post, because I wanted to use it with a GX-20, then I read elsewhere that they worked with the *istDs which I till have. So I decided to give it go and bought the 4GB Home version.

Setup was far from easy the supplied software wouldn't complete and tried to blame Firefox. I downloaded the alternative Eye-Fi Center application which completed the registration and installation without any problems. It also updated the cards firmware. Then came a lot of messing entering the MAC code of the card into my router.

After that it was simple I just put the card into the *istD, clicked the shutter and then I saw the picture unfold as it downloaded on the screen. Fast because of the jpeg size. I tried and few shots and it worked OK, then I possibly went out of range and 3 shots I took hadn't downloaded. I switched the camera off/on and was surprised to see the last 3 shots download very quickly.

Then I switched the card over to the GX-20, took a shot and that downloaded straight away. I took about another 20 shots and they all downloaded.. no problems.

The 10MB Jpegs from the GX-20 take about 30 secs to download, which isn't really a problem, well worth it for setting white balance etc.

The only pain is that you have to enter your email addy and password every time you want to use it. Absolute nonsense because it only goes as far as my computer. I hope they fix that with an update. Getting around the Eye-Fi site is also a problem, I had to go through forums to find out where to DL software.

Software linky

I've set up an old version of ACDSee (v3.1) to keep a watch on the DL folder for new files and pop-up an almost full screen preview as soon as they complete. I think Lightroom can do similar.

shimbo

Next
03-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Good job Shimbo. I was wondering whether the eye fi folks had improved the situation too :-)
The X2 looks a lot better w/ 802.11n wifi support. I'm surprised it takes 30s over 802.11b though...
03-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I'm surprised it takes 30s over 802.11b though...
Possibly due to me zooming the preview on the camera screen at the same time. Straight DL of 10MB probably 15 secs, but you could shoot RAW+ a smaller jpeg and only the jpegs DL to the computer..... the smaller you make the jpeg the quicker the DL for previews you just need the size of your viewer screen 800x600 might be big enough.

The solution to logging into the manager every time seem to be don't log out... ever! My computer DL's any jpegs on the card as soon as it boots up as long as the camera is switched on. I don't think you can stop that so be careful what you take and put on the card...... might be something you don't want to show on FlickR

I was typing a long reply to this the other day and IE just shut down on me and lost it all, could have been a key combination other than ALT+F4 or just a feature, but I'll never use IE again. I normally use Firefox but IE had just updated and I decided to try it. You'd think Browser's would have a built in keylogger for text boxes, so it can be recovered in the event of a crash.

shim
03-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shim Quote
Possibly due to me zooming the preview on the camera screen at the same time.
Definitely then.
The eye-fi transfers *only* when there is no activitity to the card. While you're reading/writing from it for some period of time (not sure how long..maybe a few secs), it will *not* do any transfers until the card is "idle"...