Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #1

Jessop Power Winder - anyone else have one?

I'm wondering if anyone else has one of these. It's an equivalent of the Pentax motor winder to fit the ME Super, ME, MV1, MG, etc. Mine works, but I've no idea what some of the controls do. The selector switch around the shutter button has three positions: S (single shot), C (continuous) and T (no idea).

Does anyone have one of these with instructions, or remember what the T position does? I'm guessing some sort of timer as there's another switch on the back of the unit marked with 5, 30, 60 secs or 5 minutes. There's also one marked "125x/Auto".

11-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
I'm wondering if anyone else has one of these. It's an equivalent of the Pentax motor winder to fit the ME Super, ME, MV1, MG, etc. Mine works, but I've no idea what some of the controls do. The selector switch around the shutter button has three positions: S (single shot), C (continuous) and T (no idea).

Does anyone have one of these with instructions, or remember what the T position does? I'm guessing some sort of timer as there's another switch on the back of the unit marked with 5, 30, 60 secs or 5 minutes. There's also one marked "125x/Auto".
OK, I remember these, or some like them. The T, I believe, as well as the other switch is for interval shooting: it'll fire as though on a self-timer at whatever interval you set.

The 125X/auto, I don't recall well what it does, but I think it's just required for the different 'modes' on like an ME, so the winder won't try and wind while the shutter's still open for a long exposure that might happen on auto exposure.
11-23-2009, 03:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
OK, I remember these, or some like them. The T, I believe, as well as the other switch is for interval shooting: it'll fire as though on a self-timer at whatever interval you set.

The 125X/auto, I don't recall well what it does, but I think it's just required for the different 'modes' on like an ME, so the winder won't try and wind while the shutter's still open for a long exposure that might happen on auto exposure.
125x/Auto ..for Sync Flash..? i know that ME F have 125x flash sync capability..

@OP

post the picture please..
11-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
Here are a couple of photos:

The selector switch around the shutter button

The controls on the back of the unit

I did read elsewhere that the timer is supposed to allow it to take photos at, say, five second intervals but I've not managed to get it to do this. I've tried setting it to T and pressing the shutter, but that just produced a single exposure. Likewise leaving it for a while didn't seem to do anything. I don't have the plug in remote control for it as it was a £5 impulse buy in a camera shop.

11-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
Aha! Right, an update:

The timer works if you hold the shutter button down. Presumably the trigger switch would make this easier, I might have a go at making one. It looks like a standard stereo-type jack plug connection so I can easily buy one of them, a push switch, a box and a length of speaker cable. The temptation to use a big red button is exceedingly strong!

Even better would be to have a switch that can be either push to make or latching, as that'd cover both single shot and timer modes.

Edit, as I am not happy

I posted this thread in the Accessories section. This morning, I find that it has been moved to the SLRs. Then I find it's back in the Accessories. Now, I don't mind the moving. But what I do object to is when I get a snotty personal message "as a reminder of the rules" when I originally posted it in the right place!

Last edited by Dangermouse; 11-23-2009 at 01:10 PM.
11-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Inactive Account

"Intervalometer" is the technical name for that timer.

Aha! Right, an update:

The timer works if you hold the shutter button down. Presumably the trigger switch would make this easier, I might have a go at making one. It looks like a standard stereo-type jack plug connection so I can easily buy one of them, a push switch, a box and a length of speaker cable. The temptation to use a big red button is exceedingly strong!

Even better would be to have a switch that can be either push to make or latching, as that'd cover both single shot and timer modes.
Incidentally, you can make a cable release for Pentax DSLRs with some Fig. 8 stereo cable and a headphone plug. Don't know if the connections are the same, but, if they are, well then, you've just got yourself a cable that's doubly useful.

QuoteQuote:
I posted this thread in the Accessories section. This morning, I find that it has been moved to the SLRs. Then I find it's back in the Accessories. Now, I don't mind the moving. But what I do object to is when I get a snotty personal message "as a reminder of the rules" when I originally posted it in the right place!
Welcome to Pentax Forums. Thanks to the dearth of forums, sub-forums and mods (who never seem to talk to each other, and are always convinced they're right, hence your thread getting bounced around like a baby in a cement mixer,) it's a bureaucracy of Soviet proportions...and the consequences for getting it wrong are nearly as grim. Did you get any "points" deducted from you?

Believe it or not, having a mod disagreeing with your choice of location (and I'm sure 99% of forum members would think a Winder is an accessory, but that's not important,) is your own fault, and if you do it often enough, you will be booted from the forum (funnily enough, there're no means to vote mods out of their position or give them citations.)

In short, it's joke. Russian roulette. It's why you're not allowed to post about Chinon or Ricoh cameras in the Film SLR forum (even though every sees them as being practically Pentax) and why it's a crapshoot to post about charging someone for a print - because it could belong in the Pro forum, the Post Processing forum, or Everything Else (when all else fails, or if a mod feels left out of the Great Thread Monte.)

Remember, at Pentax Forums, you're too stupid to know what your post is about!
11-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aha! Right, an update:

Try an old-fashioned locking cable release on the body's shutter release. If you don't have one, you can test by holding that button down. Said cable release will do the same thing.

10-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #8

Sorry to bump this thread but I thought it was a good idea to leave this thread with a definitive answer as I also came here a few days back looking for the same answers.

You will need a wired cable release (mini stereo jack type) with lockable switch. Turn the switch on the top of the winder's handle to 'T', plug the release in to the winder, press the shutter button and lock it down on the release and then the winder will fire the camera's shutter using its intervalometer. Its actually a very effective winder.

Simon