Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Optical Trigger, Trailing Curtain Synch

I never have been able to get that to work, so I thought I would ask...have you gotten it to work?

I use (3) 540FGZ's

Thanks.

11-22-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish I had my k10 back. I could work this out for you. I think you have to use one of your 540's as the controller. I don't think it can be done with the built in flash as the controller/master.
11-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I wish I had mine back too! They are both in Arizona getting brain surgery...

8(
11-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
Damn Brit

This is a better fit in Camera and Studio Accessories.

11-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If this is any help:
I am using 2 sigmas ef 530 super. they should be similar to any pentax flash supporting optical wireless protocol. I have to attach one sigma on the camera, then manually adjust the flash setting to trailing curtain sync. The other sigma is set to slave mode. I tried to detach the flash but what ever I do, no trailing curtain sync than the one I described. Very annoying.
11-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gary thanks for the move, I wasn't really sure where to put it and thought it was a technique.

Anyway...
I shoot high speed synch all the time. Literally, my flashes all remain in high speed synch. At the park in harsh sun, it comes in handy. At the reception it doesnt really matter....

What I have to do is just make sure that ALL of the flashes involved in the exposure are set to highspeed synch.

I tried the same thing with trailing curtain synch and....no go
11-24-2009, 01:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Trailing curtain does have their use. I also tried radio trigger on hotshoe, but got only first curtain sync. One more thing even more annoying after my taste: trailing curtain is disabled in the menu choice when a manual focus lens is attached to the body.

This feature should be easy when I put everything in manual. As I see it, this limitation is on the firmware.

Hotshoe sync should enable trailing curtain too. Easiest way is calculating the time backward: if the sync speed is 1/200 then trailing curtain should start 1/200 before the curtain ends. Should work for hotshoe/x-sync and with any regular flash.

As a professional feature: Sync time start can be set at any speed before the curtain ends to give complete control timing (see pocket wizard's). That means not only trailing/second curtain, but also "any curtain".

Sorry long reply,

Please someone post an enhancement request on this.
11-24-2009, 01:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I wish I had my k10 back. I could work this out for you. I think you have to use one of your 540's as the controller. I don't think it can be done with the built in flash as the controller/master.
What happened to it?