Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2009, 04:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
however the back pack is definately not for a one time use and will probably be used for camping mostly.
There is the modular Kinesis Packframes for complete flexibility.

Thank you
Russell

11-26-2009, 06:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
bdery, that is one solution, and one I am willing to consider but I would like a more dedicated backpack. so I don't have to open the top compartment to get the camera out.
We each have our own ways to work with a backpack. If you want a quick access to your gear while hiking, the best solution is a sling bag, but they are not as comfortable for long hikes, are smaller, and don't let you use a hydration pouch or similar items.

When hiking, the camera is usually around my neck or in my hand. Having one lens on my hip makes switching easy, and the rest of the gear is well protected. We're all different, but hey! it works for me!

My other bag is a messenger bag. Again I "custom-made" it. I used a regular messenger bag and purchased an insert (similar to one from Tenba, but bought on the Bay). It doesn't look like a camera bag (an important aspect, for both bags, if you go in shady areas like Greece :P ) and it gives me quick access to my gear. However I wouldn't use it for long hikes.

Given your budget, if you go with the 35$ insert solution, you can invest on the most luxurious camera strap there is (or a monopod/walking stick) so that your camera doesn't become unconfortable.

You will find that, sadly, no camera bag is designed as well as good hiking bags...

enjoy your trip!
11-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
bdery, that is one solution, and one I am willing to consider but I would like a more dedicated backpack. so I don't have to open the top compartment to get the camera out.

Marc, primarily this will be a trip to Greece where we will go island hopping by boat. Sleeping bag and camping gear is not necessary for this trip, however the back pack is definately not for a one time use and will probably be used for camping mostly.
Fill the bag as you see fit!
I now see where you are going with your thinking. Although Russell has made an excellent suggestion (as has bdery of course), the Kinesis packs are specially designed for carting a super telephoto on short or extended trips. I will still consider buying that Kinesis setup when I intend to take the big lens out into the field (for several reasons).

I can state that the K5 is designed as a true hiking/camping backpack that still works as a standard backpack. It doesn't look like a camera backpack, since everything is ithout the camera insert. There are modular separations that can be customized, so no worries there.

I've already taken the images of the K5. Emptied without the camera insert, it folds fairly flat. I've filled the K5 beyond a reasonable amount- that includes 2 sleeping bags: a summer weight and a 3 season bag (it's inside). I've packed a small bivy tent, polar fleece, outwear, cooking gear, etc. I'd never normally pack quite this much or with these choices, but it will give you a better idea. I'm going to be out the door for less than an hour, but those images are coming soon!

Regards,
Marc
11-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lowepro recently released a new bag, the Versapack 200 AW: Lowepro - Versapack

One interesting feature, besides the all-weather cover, is the fact that the contents of the bottom portion (where the camera is stored) can be accessed on the side like a sling bag.

It is not very large (conforms to airline carry-on regulations). I used it on a recent trip to Paris, and it held a K-7, DA-12-24, DA21, FA35, F50/1.7, and FA77 without problem. The top portion is large enough to hold a guide book, a large sweater, a rain jacket, and several other smallish items.

Edit: Hmmm, re-reading the original message, this bag is probably too small for your needs.

11-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Images of K5 - packed

This is similar to what I'd carry on a canoe camping setup or creating a main base of operations for at least a few days. Some of the equipment is older, but still very functional. Our local hiking/camping/backpacking/climbing outfitter looked at the bag construction and thought it would certainly be over $400. That estimate was based on materials used, construction, etc. There's obvious redundancy here and an incomplete set of choices, but I'm just packing the K5, nothing more. Normally I'd be carrying a food, bivy tarp, larger knife, camping axe, etc...

In the main middle compartment, that's (from left to right) a Taymor bivy tent, rubber mallet, rope, and 3 season bag. Note the zipper pulls - they have a rubber sleeve to allow easier gripping, even if you have gloves on, since the loop is large enough allow your gloved fingers to grab them.

Left to right: fuel bottle, Trekk sleeping pillow (for my neck), universal fuel stove and assorted small pots for cooking in it's sack.

Polar fleece, Mountain Hardware Exposure II Parka, Mountain Equipment Co-Op light jacket.

External straps for sleeping bag. It's a summer weight bag, but very long - it's just shy of 2 metres in length. I used the compression straps on the sides (4 total) and they've kept the pack and it's contents nicely in place. It's not bulging outward at all:

Harness detail:

Hopefully this will help answer some of those questions for you!

Regards,
Marc
11-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Lowepro recently released a new bag, the Versapack 200 AW: Lowepro - Versapack

One interesting feature, besides the all-weather cover, is the fact that the contents of the bottom portion (where the camera is stored) can be accessed on the side like a sling bag.

It is not very large (conforms to airline carry-on regulations). I used it on a recent trip to Paris, and it held a K-7, DA-12-24, DA21, FA35, F50/1.7, and FA77 without problem. The top portion is large enough to hold a guide book, a large sweater, a rain jacket, and several other smallish items.

Edit: Hmmm, re-reading the original message, this bag is probably too small for your needs.
But it certainly looks to be a worthy option for light travel! I think it's important that suggestions be made - this always good information.
11-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The K5 does fit a lot of equipment, thanks for demonstrating that Marc! It's a true trekking backpack when it all boils down, but as soon as you put the camera bag back into the middle compartment, it feels like half of the space in the backpack disappears. I'm assuming that's where the tent, mallet, sleeping bag and rope are.
That would leave room for a couple of sweaters in the top compartment and perhaps a bit more space in the bottom compartment. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
If they only would make the camera part of the bag a bit smaller so you could fit more of other necessities.
Thanks again for demonstrating me the bag, there's still lots of time for me to decide what bag I'll buy, it showed me not only what the bag can carry but what trekking bags overall are able to carry.

RBellavance - If I had some extra cash to my an easy travel bag I think it would be that one, but my priorities are leaning towards other things so I'll stick to my 20 l backpack where I can shove down one of my camera bags.

11-30-2009, 06:08 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
Marc - that K5 pack is awesome

RBellavance - I'd prefer Lowepro Primus AW (which I have ), as it's got a nice, padded waistbelt. I have tested it on some quite long walks and it's really comfy. Still not big enough for camping though...

StarDust - if your worried about access to your gear, check out the Deuter pack I've posted a link to. It's got front access zip.
11-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there are several things to consider in selection of a back pack,
- the size of the backpack relitive to your body size,
- is the range of adjustments on the straps
- whether there is an internal frame or not
- whether the shoulder straps connect to the top of the bag or to the waste belt and internal frame
- presence of hip ahd chest straps

I own 3 camera backpacks, and 1 internal frame hiking backpack.

the only 2 that I would consider for proper hiking are my Lowepro photo trekker AW and the internal frame hiking back-pack.

The reasons are as follows:

the smaller compu trekker and Micro trekker back packs do not have adjustable shoulder straps, and by this, I mean that you only have a small adjustment at the front of the body, where as a proper backpack and the photo trekker AW have an adjustment on the harness that raise and lower the body of the back pack and position of the padding of the shoulder straps such that when the hip belt is on your hips, the padding for the shoulder straps is correctly on your shoulder and the chest strap is across the middle of your chest where it belongs.

Without this adjustment, the shorter packs like the compu trekker and micro trekker leave you with a bad fit, either the hip belt over your stomach , or if you put the hip belt where it belongs, the padding for the shoulder strap is on you r back and the adjustment straps put the load on your shoulders and the chest strap is around your neck.

while I use the smaller packs for day trips etc, it is only the two larger packs that are really any good for extended hiking.

In fact, a really good goretex hiking pack with internal frame (mine is fibreglass vertical rods and aluminum horizontal rods) and connection of theharness to the frame is the best. Put a shoulder bag insude this for your camera gear, and if there are long side pockets put your long lenses in soft cases in these pockets (or put 1/2 inch foam padding in the pocket and put the lenses directly in the pockets.