Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
R-Strap + a bag?

So I've recently been considering the R-strap as having a camera on me that is easy to reach but not difficult to carry is priority for me.

i'm thinking of getting the Double Strap just in case I need to use 2 cameras (which I have done in the past for event-type work). I also like how it can turn into a single if I don't feel like going John Woo style with the dual setup

My question is: how do you do a setup like the R-strap with a messenger bag to carry your stuff? or how do you carry the R-strap setup and ANY bag for that matter?

i find myself usually carrying a backpack or messenger bag when I go out to town with my camera. Curious as to your opinions and suggestions!!

11-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From what I gather of those straps, they're primarily meant to be worn so camera hangs on the right. The default for actual messenger bags is to be worn on that side as well (Ironically-enough, when I rode courier, I rode with my bag worn goofy cause of years of wearing a camera bag on my left, ) but you can do either.

I'd guess you'd want to wear the strap under everything, any jacket included, and then wear a bag on top of everything. I have always slung out-of-bag cameras on the same side as the bag, if they weren't in my other hand: only way to thread through crowds and obstacles without clashing into things. It's how I'd do it.

That way the left hand (behind me) can guide and retain anything slung on that shoulder, bag and-or-slung camera) while the right, usually held higher, is usually up around my shoulder and leading the way with either the camera or my elbow. I think you could arrange one of those R-straps so that you could do this. (Cause I've thought about it. If that makes any sense.
11-27-2009, 03:01 AM   #3
Damn Brit

I have the single and the double. If I am taking both cameras on a hike, I don't take a bag, just use the double strap.
If I am around town, I use the single strap and keep one camera in my messenger bag. I put one of the R Strap connectors on each camera so it's relatively quick to swap them out. I know it's not as quick as having them both ready on the double strap but if I need to fire off a shot quickly with the other cam, I just pull it out of the bag and take a shot.