Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Are third party grips and batteries safe to use?

I would like to buy a grip and extra batteries for my K20D. Being on a budget, the aftermarket ones on ebay are very tempting. Does anyone have any opinions on them? Has anyone used them?

I'd like to save some money, but I dont want to ruin my camera. I used to use Minolta equipment when I was in to 35mm, and I used aftermarket accessories without any problems.

11-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No one is reporting any issues with them. I've used aftermarket batteries but the Minolta or Pentax NP400 batteries are superior. Both my Chineses batteries died in less than a year of use. The Pentax ones are (I have 6) still going strong.

As for grips, they are OK I think but if you look at them, they are clearly missing the protocal data for some functions. Except for the shutter button, most everything else is missing. Useless IMO.
11-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The price difference between the genuine DBG2 and non-OEM varieties is quite trivial when comparing build and functional quality. The D-BG2 mirrors the exceptional feel of the K20D itself and is worth every cent in this regard alone.

If you feel you cannot afford the DBG2, just save up until you can. The camera will still be working in the meantime.
11-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

They really ought to sticky a thread like this.

What Ash said.

Aftermarket batteries that I've had are a nice cheap way to accumulate a couple of spares: they aren't quite as good as the OEM, in my experience, but if you get them from one of the usual trusted suppliers, like B&H and Adorama, they're a fair deal and... Well, I'd say they start out about 90 percent as good and after a year or two are about 80 percent as good... Which is no ripoff at half the price or less. Nothing says 'unsafe' or anything there.

The OEM grip, I'd say, is worth the extra money, for the sealing and how it feels and attaches. There are various versions of the aftermarket ones: some copy all functions, some don't. The best kind of those have the pins to locate the grip on the camera as well as just a screw and electronic connector: fact is the originals are usually available for not much more and are just nicer, though, so there's little sense saving twenty or thirty bucks on something that you'll be feeling every time you pick up the camera. I just waited a while, tight a budget as I'm on, and don't regret it.

11-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread running concurrently: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/78239-k20d-battery-grip.html is even better at outlining the pros and cons of the non-OEM grips.

Have a look at the review by John Bee (post #10), and you'll quickly see how the DBG2 compares favourably.
11-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Now, if the aftermarket (or Pentax) could put a dedicated *AF* button on a grip, then we might be talking. (I presume the connector can't support this, anyway, But I'd go ahead and upgrade for this, if they did.

And put some more grippy surface on the back.

(Slight diversion, here, but speaking of grips: )

I've added some thin, self-adhesive grippy stuff to mine, by the way, as I mentioned in an earlier thread: I seem to have worked out a scheme for putting some self-adhesive material on which works nicely for that bit of extra holding-security I was looking for, without impeding letting the grip fall into hand nicely.

(the basic idea is, a spot in the thumbrest, and a strip along the very bottom left edge of the back of the grip, such that it fills the rounded area between the flat bottom and the flat back: the part that does the real work is only about a quarter of an inch wide, but I added a slight refinement that climbs up onto the back of the grip on the left side, just to make it easier to place my hand by feel.

Also a 'spot' on the right side where it'll kind of catch the pad of the base of my thumb while shooting horizontally, ... works pretty nice, though I think this piece need to be replaced periodically. If anyone's interested in trying something like that. I kind of forgot I'd mentioned it here. )