Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2009, 04:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Feisol, Photo Clam in Hong Kong - best dealers?

I'm off to Hong Kong for a couple of weeks, and am considering treating myself to a photo purchase while I'm there. A little research suggests Pentax pricing is pretty similar to the US market, so I'll likely leave lens / flash purchases alone for warranty reasons.

One accessory seems to be standing out for me though. I'm considering a new tripod, as my current one (a cheap consumer Velbon) really isn't sturdy enough. I want something that's good value for money, sturdy, and as compact as possible for travel, hiking etc. Finally settled on the Feisol Traveler series, with either a Feisol or the much-vaunted Photo Clam ball head.

Both seem to have fairly limited US distribution, and given they're both Asian-made, I'm guessing there's a fair chance they'll be at least somewhat cheaper there than here. (Plus I can see them in person before buying, which there's little chance of doing otherwise).

I grew up in HK, but have been away for the best part of 15 years, so while I know how to identify and avoid the tourist trap / scam places, I'm out of touch on where's reputable, and carries a wide selection. Do we have any HK forum members (or regular visitors) who might know which dealers carry Feisol and/or Photo Clam, and if there are multiple choices, which might offer the best pricing?

02-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Figured I'd update this old post for anybody that might stumble upon it. I ended up visiting every single one of the main photo stores in Mong Kong (everywhere from Wing Shing to Fortress and in between). Also found a good four or five shops on Ap Liu Street in Sham Shui Po that seemed to specialize in lighting gear and also had some (mainly cheap Taiwanese / Chinese) tripods.

Incredibly, not a single one of these places had even heard of Feisol, let alone carried them.

So... I ended up coming back from HK empty-handed, and it's looking like I'll eventually end up buying on Ebay instead.
02-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Sorry to hear you were not able to locate what you wanted in HK. I recently purchased a Fiesol Traveller Tripod and Photo Clam head from here:

Really Big Cameras

They are very good to deal with and are having a Spring special right now. Love the tripod and head, by the way.

Robin
02-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rzarbo Quote
Hi,

Sorry to hear you were not able to locate what you wanted in HK. I recently purchased a Fiesol Traveller Tripod and Photo Clam head from here:

Really Big Cameras

They are very good to deal with and are having a Spring special right now. Love the tripod and head, by the way.

Robin
Thanks Robin! Typically, I seem to have missed the special - all that's left are five center column kits, and none of them for the model I'm most interested in (the CT-3441S).

Out of curiosity, which tripod and head did you opt for?

02-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry they don't have one you want. You can order from Feisol directly if you want. I have heard good reports from people who have done that.

I have the PC-33NS ballhead from Photoclam. It is their small head as I wanted it for the very compact Feisol Traveller legs. The ballhead is really very, very nice. I also have a Markins M20 and I would say that the quality of the Photoclam is on a par with the much more expensive Markins. I am also very impressed with their QR clamp and plate. All in all, a very nice setup.

Good luck with your purchase.

Robin
02-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rzarbo Quote
Sorry they don't have one you want. You can order from Feisol directly if you want. I have heard good reports from people who have done that.

I have the PC-33NS ballhead from Photoclam. It is their small head as I wanted it for the very compact Feisol Traveller legs. The ballhead is really very, very nice. I also have a Markins M20 and I would say that the quality of the Photoclam is on a par with the much more expensive Markins. I am also very impressed with their QR clamp and plate. All in all, a very nice setup.

Good luck with your purchase.

Robin
Thanks, Robin! The PC-33NS ballhead is the one I was considering myself. Really Big Camerad do have the tripod I want too (I just meant there wasn't a discount available - got my hopes up! lol)

I'll probably go ahead and order from them at some point soon, just have to decide I can afford it. (They do at least carry both Feisol and Photo Clam, so I could get everything in one place...)