Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Diffusers??

Okay, sorry about all the questions regarding flash and accessories but I am trying to put together a good lighting system for my macro work.
I already plan on getting a regular macro flash ( probably the Sigma EM-140 ) but I want to use my Metz AF 48 also for some situations.

The question is that I see a gazillion different diffusers but want to know which would work best doing my macro. I see they are made of all different types of materials and I am wondering about light spredding and color rendition, mainly color rendition. I suppose WB can be fixed in PP but I would like to get it a close as possible.
Am I worrying about something that I don't need to? It wouldn't be the first time
There are a lot of them that are cheap enough that it wouldn't hurt to get a few to try out.

11-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Am I worrying about something that I don't need to?
Pretty much.

They are all pretty similar, they'll all eat about 1-2 stops of light. You can fix the color shift (if there is any) easily by setting the WB correctly or in Post.

With most diffusers that you put directly on the flash, the diffusion is going to be somewhat limited since they are designed to be used on-camera so they are size limited. If you are doing macro and getting the flash close to your subjects, any of them should be fine.
11-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again Dave, the video I watched the person used a softbox type that fit over the end of the flash. I think I will try one of those and also get one of the little caps that go over the end.

I just won the Sigma EM-140. Payed $249 and it is suppose to be New and it has 3 extra adapter rings thrown in. I think I did alright, saved a little anyway.
11-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go for as much surface area as you can manage.

I always used to like the inflatable things, once upon a time, but would about always settle for a bounce card. Or a bankshot off whatever was convenient.

It's why you could always find a rubber band or scrunchie around any given piece of gear of mine.

Just spreaditout. Asmuch as you can.

And,my spacebarisbreaking.

Also, btw, those faddish rubber wristbands of recent years? Those are *perfect* for attaching anything to any flash head.

Wrist strong!

Ebay sent me one at some point, same color as the standard rubberbands I used to use:

Says 'People are Good.'

I stuck it on my old 285 just in case I ever shoot a church wedding again.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-30-2009 at 06:36 PM.
11-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions Ratmagiclady, very helpful.