Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good deal on Acratech Ball Heads...

Before pulling the trigger on a Acratech GP direct from Acratech, I decided to check ebay, as Bing Cashback is very nice. Found this deal...Acratech GP Ballhead - eBay (item 220518384637 end time Dec-28-09 21:27:06 PST).

The price is the same as direct, but Bing cashback is 10% right now (and my cashback came instantly - ("580 EX II" is one Bing search term bringing up 10% from ebay purchases)). Also as a holiday bonus right now, the seller is offering a free Acratech QR plate with the purchase (up to 39.95 - I ordered a lens plate)... So after cashback and the free plate... $440 worth of stuff for $360 (with free shipping too ) - not bad at all!

Edit: If you're looking for a different model, the seller's got some other stuff in his ebay store...

12-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess I was just about 7 months too early. That is a good find at a great price. The GP does a wonderful job. Also, for an L bracket - if you're interested the Kirk L bracket for the Pentax 10, 20 and 7 are quite a bit less than Acratech's universal, and they work wonderfully....

Kirk Enterprises : L-Brackets

I have the two paired up (GP and the K20 L bracket), with the Acratech QR plate on my K100, and its a perfect fit all around.

PS - I also found a 3D split level on evil bay for $5.
12-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks - I debated L-brakets, and came down on the side of getting one ... the RRS one was only $12 more than the Kirk, and is a little sleeker than the Kirk so I sprung for that.

This seller is starting up a web site (which mostly still points to his ebay sales for now). An important point - all his sales are shipped direct from Acratech and carry a full warranty (we've been in correspondence since my purchase - nice guy). I had also confirmed with Acratech that the purchase would have a warranty before my purchase and they said it would.

Also Bing's up to 15% right now (I loose )- search term: "Nintendo Wii".
12-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I was purchasing, I looked at RRS and swear that it was just about the same price as Acratech's L bracket. Maybe its my memory - going with my eyesight.

I purchased from a store in Ohio, but they dropped shipped directly from Archatech. I did wind up calling them on a question on what clamp it came with (was the bubble clamp extra - its standard). In talking with the lady, she said in passing that - and I forget the length of the warranty, but she has never seen any warranty work refused - regardless of the duration, what little they have come back, since the owner wants to actually see the problems and improve the design if he can. I am nothing but happy with mine. Small, light and east to work - first time, last time, all the time.

My wife saw the charge and told me that it had better be jewel encrusted. When it arrived a couple of days later, she looked at it and said that it looks like an astronomical instrument.

If Bing is up to 15% maybe I should consider the nodal rail the guy has on his ebay website -
http://stores.ebay.com/BestBall-Camera-Heads