Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Batman Style - modular belt system?

After deciding to carry two cameras with me (to avoid lens changes and because I love prime lenses), I've now been thinking of ways to cart it all around. Some background first. I have 4 prime lenses with the following setup:

K100D - Sigma 30mm f1.4 / DA21 F3.2 (or possibly a DA14 in the future)
K20d - Pentax DA*55 / Pentax DA*50-135

Ideally, I'd like this to be my 'all in one' setup for travel, wedding/events and general use. And while the camera/lens setup works for me in initial testing, it has me thinking about what sort of bag to put it all in. I use a Crumpler 7 MDH and it's fantastic to carry everything but can get very heavy on one of my shoulders (a problem I had in Japan). Adding flash, wallet, and other things can make this very strenuous on my shoulder.

I've tried looking and trying other bags, but I'm quite convinced at the moment that no one bag will allow me to save my shoulders and give me quick access to my lenses and not get in the way when I'm using two cameras (I hang one on each shoulder). Considered the shootsac but it's very expensive and looks like it could allow for a lens to drop out of it (already happened to me with another bag). Boda lens bag seems to fit the bill but not sure it will carry my entire complement of lenses?

I've been thinking of getting a modular belt pack to house my lenses for quick access and complimenting it with a small back pack to carry my miscellaneous stuff. and thinking that if I get self-concious or need to pack away all the camera stuff, I can just put it in the backpack.

Curious if you've dealt with a similar setup? And if you have any suggestions for bags/belts and setups?

And wondering if I should paint it all yellow and ask people in a gruff voice (ala Christian Bale): "Where's the Joker?!" haha! Kidding

12-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Jonathan,

I regularly carry two bodies and an assortment of lenses, but they are quite a bit bigger than those in your kit. Usually it's either the FA*300/2.8 with at least one TC on the K20, and the FA*300/4.5 on the K-7. I also usually have a couple of other TCs, D FA 100 Macro, and either the Sigma 17-70 or Tamron 28-75/2.8 plus a pretty big CF tripod with Wimberley Sidekick mounted.

I have Camdapter grip straps on both bodies, and use a Cotton Carrier to carry both of them. This is a great carrying system -- It's pricey, and looks kinda geeky, but would fit the Batman motif. IMO, there is no better way to securely and comfortably carry two cameras, leave your hands free, yet have very quick access to both bodies. The cameras don't swing or bang around, they're easy to mount and dismount, and the grip straps give me a very secure hold on the body when it's not secured to the CC. As I mentioned, it's pricey, but with over $6K hanging from it, pricey was not my biggest concern.

I've put together a Frankenstein mishmash belt system to carry the other stuff, finding most of the components used. I've got an Assault Systems fanny pack with its heavy web belt, a couple of Tamrac lens belt cases, and a Think Tank Lens Changer 75 pop down. These were, with the exception of the Think Tank piece, cobbled together from used bins and flea markets.
The AS pack is a bit big and unstructured, so I'll probably replace it, and I'd probably like a padded belt, so I'm currently looking for suitable replacements, but am in no hurry. I also can use the Lens Changer 75 as a belt mounted holster for a body with the FA*300/4.5 or my Tokina 80-200/2.8 AT-X Pro if I'm just exploring, and don't want to lug a 300/2.8 and second body along.

Think Tank has some unique products that might fit your needs in a belt system, but I've seen quite a few alternatives from other mfgs that might work for you also.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 12-05-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added some text
12-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've got an assortment of Lowepro belt pouches, that also fit on to their modular system, like this -

Lowepro - Lens Case 1

and I love them.

I use them with an army surplus wide webbing belt, not through trouser loops, and they are quickly available and easy enough to carry.

The loop arrangement on the back of the case is velcro'd at the bottom so it can be detached without undoing the belt.

I also use compact camera pouches to hold filters and other small stuff like a cable release.

I carry less on my belt than I do in a backpack, but I actually prefer it.
12-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest, I think that sort of thing depends much on your actual girth. I've seen big dudes use such setups quite efficiently: for me, they'd basically make me twice as wide before they even carried much. From observing other photographers and myself, well, the tendency is for most big people (yeah, I mean guys) to kind of park somewhere and sometimes have either what they need right on their person, or go for zoomage. If they need to move, they get up kind of a head of steam and push through. (Often pushing me, actually, but it didn't take me long to figure out how to make use of that. )

Someone my size would go for whatever's slipperiest in crowds and such, move a lot, wedge yourself in somewhere, etc. There, shoulder-bags and stuff you can maneuver, rather than have stuck to you in a fixed place is better.

My general impression is that the smaller you are, the more diminishing returns there are about a belt setup. If I want to carry enough stuff that a belt kit would be necessary, there's probably not enough space on a belt that would fit me, without needing to save space for a bag anyway.

One thing you could do with your 7MDH, (this is what I sometimes end up doing,)is learn to be comfortable with it actually slung courier style, (it'll ride high up but you can still get at stuff) as well as off one shoulder. What I do there is when I set a conventional bag's strap, is have it sit so my fingernails can brush the bottom of the bag's interior when it's worn off the shoulder. If the shoulder gets tired, I just shift the bag over my head, but wear on the same side. That way I can get at things either way.

Since you look to be of moderate size from your avi, I think what I'd do is measure how much I wanted to be carrying, (a few inches of waistline adds up to a lens case,) and just how big an affair it might end up being. I think if I were looking for a system like that, say for concerts, what I'd want would be maybe a marsupial-kinda camera holster, maybe a lens/flash case, and something for film/batteries/memory. What I used to do for 'expendables' and any stray small lenses would be to wear a man's blazer with big pockets: spent/shot batteries/film on one side, fresh on the other. A bag would manage what I wasn't slinging. Often what I'd do was come to a shoot with two bags, and cache one which would be just about empty by the time I was set up.

12-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Often what I'd do was come to a shoot with two bags, and cache one which would be just about empty by the time I was set up.
I think I will work on a setup like that.

I really still love my 7MDH and at the moment I do carry it courier style (very high up and near the top of my back). However, when I have a K20d and the bag hanging from that one side, it can get quite sore. And while it may be okay for a few hours, a whole day of travelling makes it quite tiring. Backpacks are great, but lens changes can be quite difficult. Not good when I need a really quick lens change (wedding/event). I also found that having two cameras at the ready and then trying to swing around the Crumpler 7MDH makes for some complication when I'm doing lens changes as the bag strap and the camera straps start to fly here and there. Yikes!

The Cotton Carrier idea is very cool idea. i like it, but probably a bit too bulky and too noticeable during a wedding or event i have an R-strap on order which will hopefully free up my shoulder some... possibly get two to go for a double configuration.

I looked at some lowepro pouches today and they are very well made and very thick. I have camera bags with less protection that them!! They're not cheap, but i guess that's what you get for build quality.

Well, all this has given me idea for a setup. Forgot to mention that the main thing I want is the ability to change lenses quickly while still using 2 cameras, all while keeping it relatively low profile until I start taking pictures... AND not hurting my shoulders.

Here's my idea so far:

Backpack (for general use - netbook/textbook/food/water/hamsters/etc. and storing all the items when i want to put them away)
A Belt of some sort to hold them all (separate from my pants belt! A K20D on that will probably cause them to drop! YIKES!)
2 x Camera holster pod (for carrying my cameras and doubling as lens carriers)
1 x Lowepro Lens Case Long
1 x Lowepro Lens Case small

I'd store everything in my backpack (belt, holsters, lens cases) until I start shooting. In which case, I slap on the belt (with all the pods attached), take out the camera(s) and start taking photos! Hmm... any suggestions?

Last edited by dugrant153; 12-05-2009 at 09:02 PM.
12-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
I'd store everything in my backpack (belt, holsters, lens cases) until I start shooting. In which case, I slap on the belt (with all the pods attached), take out the camera(s) and start taking photos! Hmm... any suggestions?
You'll need a very big backpack, something so big, I don't think you'll use it.

This is the day hiking setup I'm putting together. The backpack is for water, food, and jackets.

1. $15 - surplus belt for a Army/Navy store
  2. $9.95 each - Four Adorama Lens Case Medium, 6.5" High x 86mm Diameter
  3. $16.95 Tamrac MX5383 M.A.S. Flash Accessory Pocket - Medium
  4. $16.95 Tamrac MX5388 - MAS Filter Belt Pack
  5. $13.95 Tamrac S.A.S. MXS5363 Compact Filter Case
  6. $55.00 Think Tank Digital Holster 20
  7. $23 Kinesis Large System Rain Cover
  8. $40 CamelBak Cloud Walker Hydration Pack
Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 12-08-2009 at 12:43 AM.
12-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Another good place to look for things to carry equipment is the clothing for hunters, shooters and fishermen. They also carry large amounts of stuff around, and for the outdoor photographer the bonus is that stuff is waterproof and made for hard use.

Military surplus is another good source, the webbing system used by most infantry has many sized pouches.

12-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All in all, I think your equipment list is not too big and should fit a good bag. For those occasions, I don't want to take a single large bag, I use the CCS belt and a couple of lens pouches and one or two of their holster bags. The material is extraodinarily hard wearing and stands up quite some abuse... Camera Care Systems

I sometimes add a LowePro Nova5 to the belt. It is small enough for that purpose and can swallow an amazing amount of gear. Or the Toploader AW70 holster bag, because it is a bit deeper than the CCS holsters.

The nice thing about a belt system is, that it can be easily combined with a rucksack/slingbag, which can take the less frequently used items, or clothing or whatever. Also, carrying the main weight directly on the hips is of course much more comfortable.

Ben
12-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you decide to do this, get a suspender harness as well. Your hips will thank you when some of the weight is distributed to your shoulders. This is how I normally carry gear when I am shooting motorsports and it works very well (for me anyway).

Mike
12-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well, I ended up with the following:

Lowepro TLZ1 Topload camera holder
Lowepro 1W (lens case)
Lowepro 3 (lens case)
mRock belt (it was cheap!)

Camera holder on my left hip and lens cases on my right. I like the setup so far, but think I will have to tweak it to work a bit better.

Just curious: Where do you guys mount your belt? As in, it is below the belt line? Above? Same level as the belt line?

Also, what's your work flow in terms of changing lenses? Do you have a bag for each lens? (Ex: I have 4 lenses total, but only 3 bags at the moment... hmm...)
12-09-2009, 03:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Just curious: Where do you guys mount your belt? As in, it is below the belt line? Above? Same level as the belt line?

Also, what's your work flow in terms of changing lenses? Do you have a bag for each lens? (Ex: I have 4 lenses total, but only 3 bags at the moment... hmm...)
Lens changing: I have one lens always on camera and this counts as a lens storage space. So for 4 lenses, I would have only three additional pouches.

Belt position: depends on my clothing. If it is cold/rainy and I wear a jacket, the belt usually sits a bit higher above the waste - otherwise it usually works its way down, until it rests on the hip, which is the best position in terms of balance anyway.

Ben
12-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here’s another question:
Do you folks have the lens case pods behind you? In front of you? At your sides?

I currently have the lens cases at my hips, but at times it can be difficult to reach. (I use my left hand to change lens and right hand to hold the camera). I twist my body to reach for my lens, but now I’m thinking it will just have to be by feel and will just have to reach with my arm only. Is this the technique?

Also, curious as to how you all travel around with a beltpack… as in, do you wear it all day? Are there times when you take off the beltpack when travelling and put it in a bag for storage? I tried stuffing all my beltpack stuff into a backpack and what Russell Evans said earlier is correct… I’d need a very very big backpack as my current setup will simply not fit in a conventional backpack (or stretch it too far). When travelling, I'd be okay with luggage of some sort to carry it all but this may be a bit much for photowalks.
12-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Here’s another question:
Do you folks have the lens case pods behind you? In front of you? At your sides?

I currently have the lens cases at my hips, but at times it can be difficult to reach. (I use my left hand to change lens and right hand to hold the camera). I twist my body to reach for my lens, but now I’m thinking it will just have to be by feel and will just have to reach with my arm only. Is this the technique?

Also, curious as to how you all travel around with a beltpack… as in, do you wear it all day? Are there times when you take off the beltpack when travelling and put it in a bag for storage? I tried stuffing all my beltpack stuff into a backpack and what Russell Evans said earlier is correct… I’d need a very very big backpack as my current setup will simply not fit in a conventional backpack (or stretch it too far). When travelling, I'd be okay with luggage of some sort to carry it all but this may be a bit much for photowalks.
The pouches simply wander around the belt, depending on movement, they won't stay put... I never cared. For longer walks, having them farther behind is more comfortable, for shooting, having them in front is faster...

I do never pack them inside another bag.

Ben
12-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The pouches simply wander around the belt, depending on movement, they won't stay put...
This depends on the belt and pouches. Lowepro and Think Tank have a tongue system that keeps the cases from wandering around the belt.

Thank you
Russell
12-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
This depends on the belt and pouches. Lowepro and Think Tank have a tongue system that keeps the cases from wandering around the belt.

Thank you
Russell
Yep, that would be better. When I bought my CCS system, LoewPro's Field and Street system did not exist and "Think Tank" was something not remotely associated with photographic bags...

Ben