Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Micro SD?

Is anyone using a micro SD with an adapter in their K100D? I'm considering getting one of these for my MP3 player and use it with the adapter for a backup memory card for my camera.
Thanks.

06-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Mini or micro SD with an adapter should work in any device which takes standard SD cards. Notice that I said "should". There always seem to be exceptions to every rule. But why use the micro SD with adapter as a backup? Why not just get a normal standard SD card or a few of them as backups for your camera? I just got two 2GB kingston standard speed SD cards for free after rebate. If you check the rebate sites you should be able to find standard SD cards for either free after rebate or nearly free after rebate. I have 4 2gb SD cards (Kingston and ultra) and 2 1GB SD cards (kingston and sandisk) for free during the past 6 months or so.
06-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I've used mine once or twice. Worked just fine in my DS. I'd rather keep my regular SD cards for the camera and the micro for my phone though.
06-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I haven't seen any free SD cards anywhere. I mostly check DealCatcher and Techbargains. The reason for micro SD was to use it in my MP3 player most of the time but have it as a backup in case I fill up the two standard cards I have. I know it should work but, as you say, I hate to ASSume anything!
If it works in a DS, it should work in my K100.

06-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

you can find loads of deals on the net. As long as you dont mind filling out rebate info and waiting for the check in the mail, you can get a lot of stuff for free. It seems to be mostly electronics and computer stuff but you can find some great camera deals on occassion and frequently they have deals on SD cards and compact flash cards. Also great deals on external hard drives so you can store all your photos.

I check these sites on a regular basis

Free After Rebate
Cheapstingybargains.com - cheap desktop sale buy laptop discount cheap digital review bargain cheap dell

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 06-14-2007 at 04:01 AM.
06-14-2007, 03:38 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I have used a micro SD from my phone (with SD adaptor) in my K10D and it works fine BUT write speeds will be "much" slower than a 133x or 150x SD card. I saw a noticable difference when continuous shooting, but havn't tested extensively. As a backup it should work fine though - stick it in and see i guess!
06-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My experience with a Kingston MicroSD-to-SD adapter and Kingston MicroSD card in my Dell Inspiron E1705's SD reader has been that using the adapter incurs a MASSIVE speed penalty.

Copying files to/from the card would occur at only a few hundred kilobytes per second, if not less, writing a single RAW file would take 2-3 minutes if performance in the camera were similar.

The MicroSD itself wasn't the problem - the USB reader that came with it was nice and fast, same with normal SD cards in the Dell's built-in reader.

07-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #8

For what it's worth I use one in m K10D. Works fine, a little slow is all. Got a deal on a 2 GB here in China (<$15) so I bought it just to see how well it worked. It's hard to find true high speed SD cards here so I get what's cheap and works. I'll get better ones when I get home (or somewhere that has them).