Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Gary Fong Puffer ???

Recently I found an online article regarding Gary Fong's Puffer, a diffuser for pop-up flashes on DSLR's. I don't really take a lot of flash photography but when I do I end up with the usual harsh light and severe background shadows. This product seems to reduce both of those faults of using direct flash. Since it's relatively inexpensive and I rarely use flash I thought I'd give it a try.

Problem is, Pentax DSLR's are not specifically listed as compatible although the fine print does say "as well as other brands". Waiting to hear from the Gary Fong website but wondered if any fellow pentax users have experience with this device.

12-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Problem is, Pentax DSLR's are not specifically listed as compatible although the fine print does say "as well as other brands". Waiting to hear from the Gary Fong website but wondered if any fellow pentax users have experience with this device.
I use a Puffer on my K20D and K100D Super. Eats about a stop of light, but great product if you need flash and want to travel light. I wouldn't be without one.
12-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
See this recent thread -- particularly, SOldBear's solution.
12-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There are actually copies of this from China maybe and they are only being sold for about $6 or less than $10.
You can find them at fleabay..or just google.

12-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
mattdm, thanks for the link to SOldBear's homemade pop-up diffuser. Luckily, I found an old film canister and easily made one. Seems to do the trick. People on this website are truly ingenious. And thanks to all for their input on the Gary Fong Puffer. Appreciate it.
12-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
See this recent thread -- particularly, SOldBear's solution.
mattdm, thanks for the link to SOldBear's homemade pop-up diffuser. Luckily, I found an old film canister and easily made one. Seems to do the trick. People on this website are truly ingenious. And thanks to all for their input on the Gary Fong Puffer. Appreciate it.
12-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is almost just for the sake of bumping, but, yeah, what Soldbear brought us does the job, and isn't as bulky or breakey. My kind of thing.

12-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
This is almost just for the sake of bumping, but, yeah, what Soldbear brought us does the job, and isn't as bulky or breakey. My kind of thing.
Too ugly for me.