Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Not Registered

Naneu Pro K5 anyone?

Hi there,

I have some long hikes looming on the horizon and this bag looks pretty good on paper. I have other Naneu pro bag and it is pretty well made. My main concern is how comfortable it is . I am 6' and change and I was wondering if somebody who has this bag could tell how well it fit in place and how well the waist belt and shoulder straps distribute the weight. Any other comment would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

12-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It looks like a real backpack - a good start. I know Marc L. is onboard with them, so he may have some input for you...

Never having seen one in real life, I just went out on a limb and ordered (well pre-ordered) a Tilopa from F-Stop. They look like killer mountain packs, and get raves from pro ski photographers. You ought to look at their Satori model as well. They do the same thing that Naneu seems to (at least with that pack) - the photo gear rides in it's own removable sub-pack. The cool thing with the F-Stop bags is you access the camera gear throught the surface of the pack which rides against your back, which means you can leave the waist belt attached, spin the bag around access at least the top of the camera compartment. DaKine's had this type of compartment in some of their ski packs before, and when I was designing a camera pack in my head, it was a feature I wanted - so I was excited to see someone doing it...
12-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Not Registered

Thanks a lot for the link, Josh.

I didnt know about that backback. It looks pretty neat. I like the access to the camera quite a bit. I am not sure about the naneu pro frontal attachment of the gear bag although I would have to try it. The gear space is pretty big, which it might be a problem for me because I wanted more non-gear space to fit sleeping bag, clothes, drink.... The truth of the matter is that it would be perfect for most of my hiking but there will be a couple of hikes (the 4-5 day ones) where I think that it wont be enough.

BTW, have you checked the Click elites. I saw them on BH but i havent found any user comments on them.
12-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those Clik packs look pretty slick too, but looking at their camera compartment, it's not really the style I'm leaning toward right now. The more I think about the f-stop pack, the more stoked I get about it. I've found that most often when I'm changing lenses I'm laying the pack down to have a bit of working space and reduce the risk I'll drop something expensive... With the F-Stop pack I'll be laying the pack in the mud/dirt/snow on it's back, rather than on the part which will soon be touching my back again - I like that. With the Lowepro I have now, and the one's I was considering replacing it with, I'm laying it harness side down to access the camera gear.

I think for multi-day trips, I would stick an insert in my backpacking pack or just strap something like the Lowepro Outback 100 to the outside of it. Keeping a camera in a light camera pack on the outside of the main pack seems nice, just to keep it isolated from all the potentially bad stuff in my pack which could leak onto the camera - like sunscreen, water, blood from the steaks (first night ), etc...

12-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
Not Registered

Josh,
Those steaks are usually on my girlfriend bag . Actually, a big part of my need for space is that I have to carry part of her clothes and apparels (and she needs 10 Farhenheit sleep bags, artic clothes, etc... on august ). Seriously, for most of our hikes the K5 or even something smaller is OK for me, but my girlfriend has some back issues and I carry the extra stuff while she carries food and sticky items.

I have a similar access to the F-pro on my naneu alpha and it is quite handy. It still difficult to access the equipment on the fly but I dont like the back of my bags get dirty either

Regarding the module solution, dont think that i have discarded it . My original idea was to do something like that. I have plenty of camera bags and inserts that I can try to adapt to it although none of the solutions has an easy access to the equipment. Actually, some trails we want to do this summer, we need to cross streams, pools.... and my first idea was to get a nice backpack and simply include a Pelican 1450 inside with the gear for those cases. It is heavy and cumbersome but it is safe. I havent discarded that option yet for those trips. Indeed, I havent done the research yet but I am also looking for methods to keep the clothes dry so any idea would be also very welcomed.
Once you get your F-pro dont hesitate to share your experiences. I havent closed any door yet

Last edited by Not Registered; 12-09-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: trying to make sense