Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 04:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiratStian Quote
What are you using it for? I wouldn't use a bag for anything other than splashing around in a pool / near the beach..

No way a bag can handle the pressure you experience while scuba diving.. Also, all the buttons will be pushed in and be useless at depth.
Have you yourself been lucky with finding an adequate housing?

Ben

09-22-2010, 04:43 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sadly no, I'm still on the lookout. But so far the best choice seems to be the italian diveross.. or to buy a second camerasystem (canikon) for uw use.
10-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #18

hi, i'm using the Diveross housing for 2 months now, so far i'm happy with it
10-21-2010, 12:21 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barcarat Quote
hi, i'm using the Diveross housing for 2 months now, so far i'm happy with it
That's great news

Would you mind writing a bit about your experience with it so far?
Do you use any flash system with the camera?

10-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out SPL They have a custom housing for Pentax (K10 and K7 therefore it should support the K5 too). Pentax Corporate is supporting them for housings...

There is a bit about it at SurfDoc - scroll down to Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Last edited by interested_observer; 10-22-2010 at 08:19 PM.
10-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #21

as this is the first dslr housing, my experience is very limited. these are the pros & cons i found:-

pros:-
1) light weight, especially good for travel aboard
2) design of the shutter leverage - the degree of the leverage can be adjust to fit personal habit, also can be pull or pushed
3) easy to assemble - no fuzz at all
4) cost cheaper - i've the dpr100, std port, dome port, ext tube and a zoom kit. if i get the same set for D90 from other big brands, have to expect to pay for extra 70% of the current total cost.
5) Diveross were actually diverted my request to my local agent - which save me a lot of time when there're issues come up

cons:-
1) too light weight, make it very positive buoyancy - i'd tried the 17-70mm, 100mm macro and 10-17mm fish eyes, all of them were floating in the water with the lens facing upward. i'd used the strobe arms to offset the buoyancy
2) lack of on/off switch - the cam need to be turned on before putting in the housing. there're few times i found myself dumb underwater with a turned off camera~~
3) the handles are not strong enough - i'd tried to use it with a pair of heavy strobes (Ikelite 160), the handles looks like would break into two at any time on the land. it's ok to use something light, such as the Inon Z240
4) magnifier is not good enough - didn't really magnify, can't see it through 100%
5) expect to be genuine pig - as the brand is new, there're some little issues with it. i'd send the housing back for two times to fix the issues

Overall i like this housing a lot - for Pentax user, can't easily get a housing from anywhere else. if i'm a Canikon users, i would still consider it with this price level. And if the cons (4) and (5) are fixed, i would definitely recommend it to any diver.

cheers,

barcarat
10-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Morning barcarat,

I do like the website for your housing, especially the way they highlight the features. I also see that they support a number of Pentax models - even the K7...

The last time I went diving was 30 years ago and it was with an old clunker of a film body that the marine biologists were using for a sub-tidal survey.

But the reason for the post is, I did not see specifically how the shutter release was triggered. It appears that on the Diveross model its a physical assembly depressing the shutter (hence their shutter depression adjustment). On the SPL site it looks like they might use the external shutter release.

I have found that using the wired external shutter release, you can trigger the shutter even if the camera body is off. I do this all the time when using my tripod. I stumbled on this by accident and have found it very convenient not having to turn the body on first, especially across a long series of images.

10-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I wasn't aware of this but it's actually available from Pentax itself!!

Not K-7, but K-x (and K-m) which is better than nothing. Should be around $2000.

Pentax Online Shop:シーツール 防水ハウジング SODH-PKx-S 限定セット

I would love to own an extra accessory for my camera but these kind of prices are only really justifiable if you're a pro and make a living out of selling underwater pics....or you're very rich.
11-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
1) too light weight, make it very positive buoyancy - i'd tried the 17-70mm, 100mm macro and 10-17mm fish eyes, all of them were floating in the water with the lens facing upward. i'd used the strobe arms to offset the buoyancy
3) the handles are not strong enough - i'd tried to use it with a pair of heavy strobes (Ikelite 160), the handles looks like would break into two at any time on the land. it's ok to use something light, such as the Inon Z240
Thank you

1) Seems like they have released a led pocket now, you attach it under the camera.

3) What kind of flash system do you use? and how do you trigger the flashes? do you get ttl or work with manual?
11-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Here is another source for the DRP200 housing, K-7 and K-5:

Onderwaterhuis.nl - Diveross - Diveross DRP200 - Pentax K-5

869,- incl. 21% VAT

12-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #26

as this is the first dslr housing, my experience is very limited. these are the pros & cons i found:-

pros:-
1) light weight, especially good for travel aboard
2) design of the shutter leverage - the degree of the leverage can be adjust to fit personal habit, also can be pull or pushed
3) easy to assemble - no fuzz at all
4) cost cheaper - i've the dpr100, std port, dome port, ext tube and a zoom kit. if i get the same set for D90 from other big brands, have to expect to pay for extra 70% of the current total cost.
5) Diveross were actually diverted my request to my local agent - which save me a lot of time when there're issues come up

2) lack of on/off switch - the cam need to be turned on before putting in the housing. there're few times i found myself dumb underwater with a turned off camera~~
4) magnifier is not good enough - didn't really magnify, can't see it through 100%
5) expect to be genuine pig - as the brand is new, there're some little issues with it. i'd send the housing back for two times to fix the issues

Overall i like this housing a lot - for Pentax user, can't easily get a housing from anywhere else. if i'm a Canikon users, i would still consider it with this price level. And if the cons (4) and (5) are fixed, i would definitely recommend it to any diver.

cheers,

barcarat
I am also looking at this housing but have few questions for you.

I see you have used it with fisyeye, I assumed you used doom port. But how much of fisheye effect remained. I mean did you get vignetting at wide end? and what was real angle underwater.

How did you connected your flash.(I have a Inon D2000)

Marc
12-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #27

fisheye DPR100

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Morning barcarat,

I do like the website for your housing, especially the way they highlight the features. I also see that they support a number of Pentax models - even the K7...

The last time I went diving was 30 years ago and it was with an old clunker of a film body that the marine biologists were using for a sub-tidal survey.

But the reason for the post is, I did not see specifically how the shutter release was triggered. It appears that on the Diveross model its a physical assembly depressing the shutter (hence their shutter depression adjustment). On the SPL site it looks like they might use the external shutter release.

I have found that using the wired external shutter release, you can trigger the shutter even if the camera body is off. I do this all the time when using my tripod. I stumbled on this by accident and have found it very convenient not having to turn the body on first, especially across a long series of images.

I am also looking at this housing but have few questions for you.

I see you have used it with fisyeye, I assumed you used doom port. But how much of fisheye effect remained. I mean did you get vignetting at wide end? and what was real angle underwater.

How did you connected your flash.(I have a Inon D2000)

Marc