Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #106

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lowenpro Slingshot 220

Have had this for a couple of years. Comfortable, roomy and easy to get the camera out without removing the backpack though it is easier to take it off to access the camera and spare lenses. Space on the side to attach a monopod and is fairly well balanced with one attached. Have used it for urban safaris and for long walks into the countryside with no rubbing. Small enough to take on a busy city bus without banging it into people and the design means that you can swing it round onto your lap without taking it off, great for security.

Attached Images

02-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #107
Pentaxian

My main bag was the Crumpler 6MDH and my secondary bag was an older Tamrac from the 1980's. The problem with the Crumpler is that is very bulky for how much it holds and the interior shape is too wedge shaped where it narrows to the front. I much prefer a rectangular interior which is the most efficient. I do like crumpler bags but the lineup for some reason has been really cut back here in the US. Five years ago they had two dedicated stores in NYC and a full lineup of bags at Adorama and B&H. The two Crumpler stores are gone now and the lineup at both B&H and Adorama is a small fraction of what it used to be. I looked at Tamrac and I noticed they also scaled back and their bags are not like they used to be. I liked the US made explorer line, but that is gone too. Fortunately I found Domke and really like their rugged wear canvas bags. I bought the Chronicle rugged wear to replace the Crumpler 6MDH. It is slightly larger outside but much larger inside and very well made and better suited for travelling with removable hand and shoulder straps (to be packed separately in luggage) and a trolley strap to piggyback on my wheeled luggage. This is my go to when I need to travel and bring all. The second Domke which replaced my well worn Tarmac explorer is the Domke F-803. This is a small lightweight satchel but it can handle some big lenses and accessories if needed. Both are very well made and nice looking bags.
07-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #108
Forum Member

K&F Concept (large) camera backpack review.

In thread I've started not so long ago we've had pretty long discussion about camera dedicated backpacks and those adapted for camera use. I've decided to go for something rather inexpensive (32) and not so popular (yet?) made by K&F Concept. In spoken thread I've promised to write down quick review once I receive it...so here it goes!

(just a quick note on the side - I've received backpack today so didn't really had time to pack camera and other stuff in it so I will update this post accordingly).

Parcel came in packed nice and clean (somebody used whole roll of scotch tape to protect it all over) and in addition backpack was packed in transparent plastic bag inside the box.

Together with the backpack you get a short note/leaflet from the manufacturer which invites you to share your experience with them and tells you to feel free to contact their customer service (in English and Chinese)

Overall backpack looks and feels pretty solid and sturdy. There are no bad stitches or cheaply looking sticking out elements (so far). Can't say how comfortable it is (or not) yet as I didn't have a chance to field test it. All straps and top handle are sturdy and threads are double (reinforced) around those areas.

There is a tripod holder on the side of it with something that looks like ''foldable pocket'' on the bottom.

Inside it looks pretty much like most of camera dedicated backpacks. Material used seems to be of good quality and velcro parts are holding firmly. There are separate pockets for tablet (or small laptop) and transparent pocket for other accessories (see through part is not mesh but kind of vinyl). I didn't have time to pack camera inside but did a photo with K3 next to the backpack so you can see the size of it.

There was also little gift included (it wasn't mentioned anywhere during the purchase) which was a nice little touch. Little pouch with lens cleaning accessories. Nothing big but freebie is a freebie

I cannot vouch for how comfortable or waterproof it may be but promise to update once I've checked all of it.

Last edited by MrTiburon; 07-31-2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: repairing photo links
10-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone try the Hazard4 Photo Recon Bag?

Hello,
Last year I switched over to the K1 with battery grip. Since then I've been on the search for a sling type bag that the K1 and Grip fit into without me struggling to yank/wedge the camera back out. I currently own the 24-70mm, 100mm Macro, and a few ltd primes and intend to pick up the 70-200mm. And of course there's a possiblity of picking up some other new lenses after the upcoming Pentax announcement is made here in November.

For what little traveling I do, I picked up the Airport Roller Derby which I absolutely love. It has a ton of space for my lenses/laptop/tablet and accessories. I probably should post a review of it since I love/love/love that case.

But once I get to my destination, I really need something I can use to lug the K1/Grip/24-70 without it being a struggle. I like slings and found a mention of a Hazard4 Photo Recon bag in another thread here on the forums. However, I have no experience with this bag and the poster hasn't responded to my PM regarding K1/Grip fit.

Can anyone comment on this bag:

Photo-Recon? - Camera Bags - Tactical Gear - Hazard 4

Now, please note that I do have a backpack which fits all my current items with room for more, but it requires stopping and taking off the backpack. I'd like a sling to minimize this. My current slings require just as much effort since the camera/grip are an ill fit for them.

Any thoughts the Photo Recon bag would be appreciated.
Regards,
Rodney

10-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
I currently own the 24-70mm, 100mm Macro, and a few ltd primes and intend to pick up the 70-200mm. And of course there's a possiblity of picking up some other new lenses after the upcoming Pentax announcement is made here in November.
A pure sling bag might be a bit small for the 70-200. Maybe the Everyday sling from Peak Design would be tall enough, I'd have to measure it. It would easily fit if you don't plan on bringing also the 24-70, by placing the camera and lens combo on it side. But if you plan on carrying most or all of your gear, a sling won't cut it.

You could look into a messenger bag, some of which can be worn as slings (think Everyday Messenger from Peak Design, Retrospective line from Think Tank, etc), or a backpack with side access (think Manfrotto Off road Hiker whose compartment is well suited for a 70-200) or rotating access (Mindshift Gear Horizon or Pro, although the Horizon might struggle with the 70-200). If quick access is not important, almost any backpack will do.
08-27-2018, 11:36 AM   #111

This thread hasn't been updated for quite a while now.
It's August 2018 by now and i wonder if anyone has new input on the matter.
I Also am trying to find my way in camara bas land and a sling would be great because of the speed of access to my gear.
So i would like to know if anyone here has new input / views. I would like to fit in at least my K1 with 70-200 attached and the 15-30 or 24-70 (or better still both)
The Mindshift PhotoCross 13 comes to mind but i fear its just a bit to small. Anyone have experience with this sling?

Last edited by JackvanS; 08-29-2018 at 07:25 AM.
08-28-2018, 05:05 AM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JackvanS Quote
The Mindshift PhotoCross 13 comes to mind but i fear its just a bit to small. Anyone has experience with this sling?
My bag tests nowadays are actual reviews Look for a review of Think Tank's belt system soon, and Peak Design's new travel bag in the future (when my shoulder heals).

I made a review of the Photocross, it's a fantastic sling. It would be perfect if it had a spot to attach a Capture Clip, apart from that nothing to complain about.

It can hold the 70-200, and it can hold it mounted when placed sideways (a K-1 and 60-250 is the tallest it will take, I believe).. With an extra lens, and a large one at that, I believe the best way to do it would be to get creative and create "layers" inside the bag. In other words, create a sort of shelf at the bottom, running the full length of the bag. Place the extra lenses below that shelf, and the mounted combo above. It MIGHT be possible to avoid doing this and place the 24-70 at one end, having the mounted combo taking up most of the bag, but I'm not sure, and certainly the 15-30 is too fat.
08-28-2018, 05:05 AM   #113
Pentaxian

The Mindshift PhotoCross 13 comes to mind but i fear its just a bit to small. Anyone has experience with this sling?
My bag tests nowadays are actual reviews Look for a review of Think Tank's belt system soon, and Peak Design's new travel bag in the future (when my shoulder heals).

I made a review of the Photocross, it's a fantastic sling. It would be perfect if it had a spot to attach a Capture Clip, apart from that nothing to complain about.

It can hold the 70-200, and it can hold it mounted when placed sideways (a K-1 and 60-250 is the tallest it will take, I believe).. With an extra lens, and a large one at that, I believe the best way to do it would be to get creative and create "layers" inside the bag. In other words, create a sort of shelf at the bottom, running the full length of the bag. Place the extra lenses below that shelf, and the mounted combo above. It MIGHT be possible to avoid doing this and place the 24-70 at one end, having the mounted combo taking up most of the bag, but I'm not sure, and certainly the 15-30 is too fat.

08-28-2018, 06:06 AM   #114

Kata Lightri 315 DL. Perfect size for me: K-5 + 3-4 Lens. Or have enough space for big heavy Sigma 70-210 2.8 + wide lens (Pentax 12-24) and K-5. Durable, versatile.
08-28-2018, 06:07 AM   #115

Kata Lightri 315 DL. Perfect size for me: K-5 + 3-4 Lens. Or have enough space for big heavy Sigma 70-210 2.8 + wide lens (Pentax 12-24) and K-5. Durable, versatile.
Attached Images

08-29-2018, 07:37 AM   #116

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

Thanks @bdery, read your review thanks. Nice one. Would the mesh pocket hold a lens like the 24-70 you think when in a neoprene pouch? No other possiblities to attach a separate pouch to this bag like for instance the Kata Lightri 315 DL (which is no longer available)? I especially like the fact that it just looks like a normal backpack (For obvious reasons)

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 07:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by maxs Quote
Thanks maxs. Seems to do the trick. A bit 'bulky' but i guess that's the trade-off. This bag however is no longer available i'm afraid.

Last edited by JackvanS; 08-29-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: added text
08-29-2018, 08:11 AM   #117

btw i use a small CaseLogic Sling at the moment. That's what i used before i bought the big stuff. Nice little sling, compact, great for a small DSLR and 2 or 3 smaller lenses. Even the K1 with 70-200 + 24-70 fits. Much to tight though.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-HX90V  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-HX90V  Photo 
08-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #118
Pentaxian

Would the mesh pocket hold a lens like the 24-70 you think when in a neoprene pouch? No other possiblities to attach a separate pouch to this bag like for instance the Kata Lightri 315 DL (which is no longer available)?
You mean the bottle pocket on the side? I don't think I would trust it for a lens, no. Maybe you could attach a pouch to the spot where the shoulder strap meets the bottom of the bag, I'd have to try that. In that case I'd use a trustworthy case like those from Think Tank or Peak Design.
08-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #119

Sometimes you can find Kata bags on eBay. I bought my from eBay too. LightTri was available in different sizes. 310,312,315,317,318.
Or Kata Torso was similar.
08-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #120

@bdery: Is the Think Tank Turnstyle 20 the equivalent of the MindShift PhotoCross 13? Or are they just two different sling bags? The Turnstyle seems a bit bigger?