Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 04:42 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JackvanS Quote
Is the Think Tank Turnstyle 20 the equivalent of the MindShift PhotoCross 13? Or are they just two different sling bags? The Turnstyle seems a bit bigger?
I have not used or tested the Turnstyle. Based on pictures I'd say it looks to be about the same size as the Photocross. Think Tank is always generous and provides specs for all their bags, so you could compare inner dimensions and, more importantly, see if the equipment you cant to carry fits.

08-31-2018, 07:29 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Having read through this thread and not found the sort of bag I'm looking for, I would like to describe what I now have and I would like:

Main "big" bag is a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW - takes all the stuff (2x K-3 with grips, Sigma 100-300 F4 & 70-200 F2.8 + various small accessories) needed when I go to airshows and the like, (and then there's the old 350 AW in the attic as well).

However, that's too big/heavy for general days out and holidays when I take a Lowepro Hatchpack 22l with the K-30, Sigma 10-20 and 17-70 + a PLM, but that has too little spare capacity for "other stuff"!

So, I'm looking for something similar where access to the camera compartment is against my back for security reasons (Siem Reap market, Cambodia 4 yrs ago - my wife's small normal backpack got "groped", whereas my Hatchpack 22l did not!) and with more space for the "other stuff" - but all I can find are a number of backpacks with camera compartments which take up the entire internal volume of the backpack, and then only from "no-name" brands I've never heard of.

Thus, can anyone suggest something from a decent brand-named supplier which comes anywhere close to my days-out/holidays "dream" bag?

Thanks in advance.

PS: can't get on with messenger bags due to back & shoulder problems (I use a walking stick most of the time), nor with slingshot-type bags as I tried one once and sent it straight back as it was so uncomfortable - so the new bag has to be a small-medium sized backpack

Last edited by jeallen01; 08-31-2018 at 07:45 AM.
08-31-2018, 10:13 PM   #123

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I have not used or tested the Turnstyle. Based on pictures I'd say it looks to be about the same size as the Photocross. Think Tank is always generous and provides specs for all their bags, so you could compare inner dimensions and, more importantly, see if the equipment you cant to carry fits.
Couldn't find the specs of theTurnStyle at first i thought, but they are rirght there on their site. And the Turnstyle's inner height is a bit bigger 9.3” W x 17.3” H x 5.4” D (23.5 x 44 x 13.7 cm) against 9.4 x 14.2 x 5.5" / 24 x 36 x 14 cm.
But to me the ThinkTank tapers mutch more than the Mindshift. I 'll have a look at them in store soon.
09-02-2018, 02:32 AM   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Thus, can anyone suggest something from a decent brand-named supplier which comes anywhere close to my days-out/holidays "dream" bag?
Following this thread to get an answer on this... any ideas anyone?

10-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #125
Pentaxian

How about the Lowepro Photo Hatchback BP 250 aw ii, or the FLIPSIDE TREK BP 250 AW. They have the two compartments you are looking for, and the opening to the camera compartment is against your back.
10-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #126
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used CaseLogic Holsters for about a decade as my "Grab and go"daily carry of a K-1 with a lens mounted, plus room for a Lume Cube light, remote trigger, cleaning supplies, etc. .
For an urban photowallk, I have a LowePro Slingshot, which I prefer for the ease of access and stowability for the camera while moving about, with room for a few accessories and lenses. It's not perfect, but it meets most of my needs.
What I'd really like is to make one of my old military rucksacks into a nondescript camera bag with the side access and stow of a slingbag, and use the top-loading picew for a jacket, water bottle, etc. The outside pockets of the ruck accept LowePro padded lens cases, so they are great for a multi-lens hike
10-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
How about the Lowepro Photo Hatchback BP 250 aw ii, or the FLIPSIDE TREK BP 250 AW. They have the two compartments you are looking for, and the opening to the camera compartment is against your back.
Not sure to whom the above was addressed, but, having looked at some pics of both of those, I can't see much that is different to my existing Hatchpack 22l (which is still "going strong" with nothing but slight "cosmetic" wear after nearly 7 yrs of being used reasonably often ).

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.
10-20-2019, 03:05 AM   #128
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Like most folk here I've done the rounds of bags... latest is Billingham 445.

This is probably the bag I should've purchased in the first place, rather than working my through Lowepro and Crumpler products to name but two.

This will be from now on, my "go to" shoot bag with decanted kit from Pelicans.

I did a wee review here... Billingham 445 Camera Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

10-31-2019, 08:17 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my college kit bags. The GEM backpack (front) is kinda ok. I do really like the USAgear (rear). It's ideal and very good quality material. And waterproof, important for living in Scotland.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 650  Photo 

Last edited by Martin KP; 10-31-2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: clarity