Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #46

Hi,

I've done a small video review of the Kata 3N1 33 bag. Sorry, it's in french .

Regards.

Malsi

11-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LowePro Midtown 160

Don't know if I've posted this before, so here it is:

pardon the camera shake - too many espressos I guess.

AFAIK, the Midtown 160 has been replaced by the more stylish (less boxy) Exchange Messenger bag. My wife has one, and it's great for a small body and a fistfull of primes. But it won't hold the two bodies + zooms + flash like the Midtown.
11-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #48
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
This thread may not be very active but oh welll...
Being in the Army, I have access to a lot of nifty things, not all of which explode or make loud noises.
I have a Pelican case (with the configurable foam inside)for traveling and everyday storage; but I use one of my Blackhawk STOMP II Medical Aid Bags for my camera and gear when I am out and about. Though not made with cameras in mind, it is so handy and configurable that it works well. I will post some photos up here soon...
11-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #49
Inactive Account

Oh yeah...and if anyone here thinks they would like one...I would be happy to oblige for free (with the exception of S&H of course!).

12-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #50
Forum Member

i just think it's hard to find a single bag that fits most kind of situations. I had and have about 10 camera bags in the last 2 years and I am still looking for the one that I like.
01-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #51
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
My biggest gripe with many bags is when you cannot access lenses without compromising the entire package. That is to say, either taking the bag off or exposing everything that's in it. I've been through quite a few bags over the years and this has always been one of the biggest complaints with them.
Hi

I think at the end of the day there is not one bag that is always right for the job. I found this out and now run two bags depending on what I am doing. Not perfect but it works
01-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #52
Pentaxian

I really like my Kata 3N1-30. It has a very flexible strap system. It can be worn as a regular backpack with either regular straps on each side or in an X-cross fashion. The best mode, however, is when you use one strap only, diagonally. It then becomes a sling bag.
N.B., all straps are adjustable in length and the paddings can be moved.

By altering the adjustable compartments, I got a configuration that allows me to have access to one camera (with lens mounted) and up to five lenses while I'm still wearing the bag! There is still room for other equipment, e.g. flashes on the other side of the bag.

There is further space for small accessories, e.g., for the rain cover on the side. Most further space is in the extra top compartment.

The latest version even got room for a laptop. As Lowell suggested, it sits closest to the back.

HermanLee once posted some Kata 3N1-30 photos. They often show the bag with many flaps open at once which makes it a bit hard to see how it looks like in use but one should get an idea.

Last edited by Class A; 01-18-2011 at 04:46 AM.
01-17-2011, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

I really like my Tamrac Rally 4. It doesn't look like a camera bag at all - it looks like a courier/hipster shoulder bag. I bought the smaller Rally 4 bag, as it holds my Kx, both kit lenses, filter wallet, and cleaning supplies with room to spare. I could easily fit a flash and a 50mm prime in there as well. A Nook Color or Kindle also fits quite nicely in the front pouch. The Rally 5 is much larger, and it has a paded slot inside that will fit a 10" netbook or an ipad. I almost bought it, but I wanted to keep things light honestly. I'm very happy with this bag... it's not for everyone, but for not looking like a tourist and not looking like I have something pricey to steal, well that works for me.

Note that the Rally 4 will fit the Kx with the 55-300mm lens attached quite easily. You can fit two more 55-300mm lenses in there side by side, and still have room for a remote, cleaning supplies, a kindle, filters, and more in the rest of the pockets.

Charles.
Attached Images

Last edited by ChopperCharles; 01-17-2011 at 10:40 PM. Reason: added info on what fits inside.
01-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
Just went to one of our local bigger camera stores for a browse, and although I already own a few (my wife would say several) bags of varying types, I saw one that I had never seen before.

It was a Thinktank Rotation 360

This rather innovative bag allows the waist belt part of the bag to rotate around out of the bottom of the main backpack. The various bells and whistles that go along with it are also quite innovative, like attachments for the camera straps so they attach to the backpack shoulder straps instead of strangling you around the neck, for example.
Hope to pick one up, soon! They're on sale here - about 1/2 the regular price!
02-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #55

I was wondering about a sling bag. Anyone have any experience with these? I'd like to be able to use it hiking, then flip around to the front for access, lens changing etc. Backpacks are too big..
02-22-2011, 04:22 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenRGuy Quote
I was wondering about a sling bag. Anyone have any experience with these? I'd like to be able to use it hiking, then flip around to the front for access, lens changing etc. Backpacks are too big..
Have a look at the Kata 3N1 models. You can use them as sling bags (very handy) and (with a quick reconfiguration) as backpacks. The latter (two strap) configuration is much more comfortable for longer hikes.
03-01-2011, 04:06 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's been mentioned early on in this thread - the LowePro Stealth Reporter...

I just got the D200 AW I ordered in the mail today. I might do a more detailed review sometime soon but I thought I'd give a few thoughts now.

It's certainly a large bag, being able to easily fit all the equipment in my signature (except the tripod of course ).. plus a couple more lenses (smaller zooms or primes).

While some people might irk away from a big and potentially heavy shoulder bag, it does actually have a waist strap so the load on your shoulder can be lightened. The only issue there is that the waist strap is pretty much on the bottom edge of the bag, so for me, it feels a bit unusual to have to shorten the shoulder stap and have the bag high given its size... but over time i'll probably get used to it.

Plus, raising the bag isn't so bad since (for me at least) it actually is at the right height for my forearm to rest comfortably on the top.

Oh, it was mentioned before by JohnBee how accessing the lenses can compromise the entire package... The Stealth Reporter does have a reasonable compromise (if you can call it that) since in addition to the flap for the main compartment having a zipper to seal the entire section, the top of the flap itself has a zipper for easy access to the contents of the bag without having to open the entire flap - and there's no need to take off the bag and whatever.

Unfortunately for me (and others) the easy access zip isn't large enough to take out a K20D with battery grip attached but that's not really an issue for me.

Ah geez, I just wanted to give a few thoughts but this is a bit lengthy already!...

Anyway, again, I might make a proper text review sometime soon with photos or something if anyone is interested.
04-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wow! Just found this site and they have a cam-bag DB:
Cambags.com bag database Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource.

I think I need a new photo backpack

cheers
04-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Heck yes I do

QuoteOriginally posted by COINTELPRO Quote
Oh yeah...and if anyone here thinks they would like one...I would be happy to oblige for free (with the exception of S&H of course!).
I could use a couple, one for camera stuff and one for my first aid kit as I am almost real nurse and want to carry a good kit with me in case of emergencies.
07-03-2011, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #60

F-Stop Loka

I've been searching for a backpack that would hold most or all of my camera gear as well as a 11-13" laptop and enough clothes for a short trip. Another requirement was that it should be possible to take on a plane as carry-on luggage. I also wanted something that I could use for other things so a removable camera block was preferable.

The market here in Sweden is quite limited and most of the stuff is just ordinary camera backpacks from the usual suspects (Kata, LowePro etc). After a lot of research I finally found the perfect backpack for my needs in the US by a relatively small company called F-Stop. The model is called Loka and it almost feels like they had read my mind when they designed it.

I ordered it in the middle of January with a small and medium camera block (ICU) but due to low availability I only received it at the end of May. I've now had some time to get to know it and thought I'd post a short review.

---

The "parts" were delivered in their own protective bags which is a nice touch and adds a bit of premium feel to the product.

As I mentioned earlier I ordered it with the small and medium ICUs. The small one, which I haven't had time to use much, is just a block that can hold my K-7 + DA* 50-135 and some other bits and pieces. It is quite deep so I guess I could double stack my limiteds and other smaller lenses. The medium ICU is wedge shaped which allows you to fit a laptop or some other stuff behind it when it is inserted in the backpack.

The backpack has one opening up top and another, larger one, on the back where you can access the camera block. The backpack also features an aluminium frame to keep things nice and stable.

A nice detail is that almost all zippers, both outside and in, have small flaps or pockets to protect from snagging.

Here the medium ICU is put in place. In the picture the zipper on the ICU is closed but in actual use it is supposed to be open before put in place as it is a bit hard to open once there.

The backpack is also prepared for use with hydration systems. Here is a closeup of the flap where the water hose goes.

External side pockets on both sides and multiple compression straps is nice to have. It also has MOLLE/PALS webbings.

Glued zippers on the outside to keep water out and straps to fasten a tripod or skis/snowboard/whatever.

Rubberized bottom to keep things dry no matter where you put it down. It also features a compartment for a rain cover.

Here I've put 3 DA Limiteds, K 50/1.2, DA 18-55 WR, DA* 50-135. Still room for my K-7, charger and some other bits and pieces with some room left over.

I've only had time to use it for some short trips so far. However, it has been able to fit everything I've needed without problem. It is also very comfortable to wear without any hints of chafing or other issues.

The real test will come whenever I get time to fly and visit my parents or when I do a longer forest hike. I have to come back and update my review when it's been through those tests.