Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 04:42 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JackvanS Quote
Is the Think Tank Turnstyle 20 the equivalent of the MindShift PhotoCross 13? Or are they just two different sling bags? The Turnstyle seems a bit bigger?
I have not used or tested the Turnstyle. Based on pictures I'd say it looks to be about the same size as the Photocross. Think Tank is always generous and provides specs for all their bags, so you could compare inner dimensions and, more importantly, see if the equipment you cant to carry fits.

08-31-2018, 07:29 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Having read through this thread and not found the sort of bag I'm looking for, I would like to describe what I now have and I would like:

Main "big" bag is a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW - takes all the stuff (2x K-3 with grips, Sigma 100-300 F4 & 70-200 F2.8 + various small accessories) needed when I go to airshows and the like, (and then there's the old 350 AW in the attic as well).

However, that's too big/heavy for general days out and holidays when I take a Lowepro Hatchpack 22l with the K-30, Sigma 10-20 and 17-70 + a PLM, but that has too little spare capacity for "other stuff"!

So, I'm looking for something similar where access to the camera compartment is against my back for security reasons (Siem Reap market, Cambodia 4 yrs ago - my wife's small normal backpack got "groped", whereas my Hatchpack 22l did not!) and with more space for the "other stuff" - but all I can find are a number of backpacks with camera compartments which take up the entire internal volume of the backpack, and then only from "no-name" brands I've never heard of.

Thus, can anyone suggest something from a decent brand-named supplier which comes anywhere close to my days-out/holidays "dream" bag?

Thanks in advance.

PS: can't get on with messenger bags due to back & shoulder problems (I use a walking stick most of the time), nor with slingshot-type bags as I tried one once and sent it straight back as it was so uncomfortable - so the new bag has to be a small-medium sized backpack

Last edited by jeallen01; 08-31-2018 at 07:45 AM.
08-31-2018, 10:13 PM   #123

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I have not used or tested the Turnstyle. Based on pictures I'd say it looks to be about the same size as the Photocross. Think Tank is always generous and provides specs for all their bags, so you could compare inner dimensions and, more importantly, see if the equipment you cant to carry fits.
Couldn't find the specs of theTurnStyle at first i thought, but they are rirght there on their site. And the Turnstyle's inner height is a bit bigger 9.3” W x 17.3” H x 5.4” D (23.5 x 44 x 13.7 cm) against 9.4 x 14.2 x 5.5" / 24 x 36 x 14 cm.
But to me the ThinkTank tapers mutch more than the Mindshift. I 'll have a look at them in store soon.
09-02-2018, 02:32 AM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Thus, can anyone suggest something from a decent brand-named supplier which comes anywhere close to my days-out/holidays "dream" bag?
Following this thread to get an answer on this... any ideas anyone?

10-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about the Lowepro Photo Hatchback BP 250 aw ii, or the FLIPSIDE TREK BP 250 AW. They have the two compartments you are looking for, and the opening to the camera compartment is against your back.
10-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used CaseLogic Holsters for about a decade as my "Grab and go"daily carry of a K-1 with a lens mounted, plus room for a Lume Cube light, remote trigger, cleaning supplies, etc. .
For an urban photowallk, I have a LowePro Slingshot, which I prefer for the ease of access and stowability for the camera while moving about, with room for a few accessories and lenses. It's not perfect, but it meets most of my needs.
What I'd really like is to make one of my old military rucksacks into a nondescript camera bag with the side access and stow of a slingbag, and use the top-loading picew for a jacket, water bottle, etc. The outside pockets of the ruck accept LowePro padded lens cases, so they are great for a multi-lens hike
10-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
How about the Lowepro Photo Hatchback BP 250 aw ii, or the FLIPSIDE TREK BP 250 AW. They have the two compartments you are looking for, and the opening to the camera compartment is against your back.
Not sure to whom the above was addressed, but, having looked at some pics of both of those, I can't see much that is different to my existing Hatchpack 22l (which is still "going strong" with nothing but slight "cosmetic" wear after nearly 7 yrs of being used reasonably often ).

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

10-20-2019, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #128
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Like most folk here I've done the rounds of bags... latest is Billingham 445.

This is probably the bag I should've purchased in the first place, rather than working my through Lowepro and Crumpler products to name but two.

This will be from now on, my "go to" shoot bag with decanted kit from Pelicans.

I did a wee review here... Billingham 445 Camera Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
10-31-2019, 08:17 AM   #129

This is my college kit bags. The GEM backpack (front) is kinda ok. I do really like the USAgear (rear). It's ideal and very good quality material. And waterproof, important for living in Scotland.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 650  Photo 

Last edited by Martin KP; 10-31-2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: clarity
03-05-2020, 06:35 AM - 2 Likes   #130
Pentaxian

In order to flesh out this thread and centralize some of the available information, here is an up-to-date (as of 2020-04-07) list of the bag reviews I've written for Pentaxforums. Coming in the near (ish) future are the Mission Workshop Integer, and Peak Design Everyday Back 30 and Zip 20.

Peak Design Sling 10L v1 (most used sling)

Manfrotto Off Road hiker 30L

Lowepro Photo Sport BP 200

Mindshift Gear Horizon (one of my all-time favourites)

Think Tank Shape Shifter 17 v2 and Perception Pro

Peak Design Everyday Messenger 15 v1 (favourite messenger, possibly my most frequently-used bag)

Think Tank Signature 13 messenger (close second for a messenger bag)

Mindshift Gear Photocross sling (most comfortable sling I've tested when wearing for a long time. If only it could accept a Capture Clip)

Not a bag per se, but the Think Tank Modular Belt system can replace a bag

Peak Design Travel Backpack system (loving it when travelling with a carry-on only)

Think Tank retrospective 30 v2

Mindshift Gear Photocross 15 backpack

Wandrd Veer 18 inflatable backpack

Last edited by bdery; 04-07-2020 at 06:13 AM.
07-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #131

Vintage pentax camera bag?

Came across this Pentax camera bag a while back. Not sure how old it is, there's no info on it other than the name on the front. It had an SF10 and pentax f 28-80 lens inside and I recall it cost me $50.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
12-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
Bag quest...

I just received a Tenba Shootout Waistepack along with a few other new LBA/GBA items. This bag is very well made of high-quality materials.
My quest was/is for a bag to work out of when on assignment for the local paper and whoever else may come along in the near future. I want a bag to hold THE zooms (for now), flash, a prime lens or 2 and other related stuff. My next lens for this kit will be the DA* 60-250 and I will need another bag to accommodate it and maybe a helper to carry it too :-)
While I want a bag to carry a substantial amount of gear I also want the thing to be as compact, comfortable and convenient as possible.
I was, and still am, interested and attracted to the new Tenba Messenger bag. It looks like a really nice bag, well designed and big enough, but not too big.
I also looked at Kaita, Crumpler, Lowepro and, of course, Domke. I had settled on either the Tenba Messenger or the Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400.:
Tenba - Messenger: Camera Bag
Lowepro - Stealth Reporter D400 AW
But then I stumbled on the Tenba Shootout Waistpack for much less money than either of the above. I prefer the quick access top of the others, but for $40 less I took a closer look at the waistepack. It's an inch smaller in H and D, but it has a bigger width than the medium Shootout shoulder bag and is $35 cheaper as well. The clincher for me was that when used as a shoulder/sling bag the top of the Shootout Waistpack opens away from the user and allows easy access. From the claimed dimensions I judged it should fit my immediate needs.
What I want/need to carry is:
K20D w/grip & QR plate & DA*16-50 attached;
DA* 50-135;
AF280T flash (or similar);
at least a fast 50;
minimal cleaning supplies, 3 filters, 2 step up rings, extra SD cards, phone, notepad & dig recorder.

The stated dimensions of the Tenba Shootout Waistpack are:
Exterior Dimensions
16.5 x 9.0 x 8.0" (41.91 x 22.86 x 20.32cm) (WxHxD)
Interior Dimensions
12.5 x 8.0 x 7.0" (31.75 x 20.32 x 17.78cm) (WxHxD)

And here's the link to the Tenba page:
Tenba - Shootout: Waistpack

After a couple of weeks of looking and thinking I ordered the DA*50-135 and this bag from B&H.
As far as the claimed dimensions go, I think it's safe to say practically all marketing overstates the actual usable, interior capacity of camera bags. This bag in particular may actually achieve it's stated dimensions with all the padding removed and stretched to it's maximum, but as delivered it's much smaller. When I unpacked it my 1st thought was that no way would it hold this kit. Luckily for me I have been pleasantly surprised.
My 1st priority is to have the camera in a ready position and for it to be easily accessible. To me that means nose down or laying on edge back to front, so the first thing I checked was whether the K20 w/grip and 16-50 would fit pointed down and it wouldn't. I removed all the dividers and saw that the removable bottom padding is almost an inch thick. With that removed the bag has less structure and protection. but the cam w/grip and lens fit nose down. The 50-135 would still not fit upright, so I re-arranged and laid it down. With further squeezing and adjusting I am able to get the rest of the kit packed in and the cam is in the ideal position for me. The bag is definitely maxed and the top is a little difficult to zip (but more than happy to unzip), it still functions very well and when the cam is removed everything else is easily accessed. Surprisingly, the seemingly gimicky "quick access doors" on the ends are very functional and allow access to my lenses even when the cam is inside and the bag is closed. To me this means when I get a 2nd body (K7 w/prime lens over my shoulder) I can easily access the other lenses.
The additional pockets hold the rest of this kit easily. I put a microfiber cloth and small cotton towel and lens pen in the lid's mesh pocket; 77mm and 52mm filters and step-up rings in one end pocket, phone, notepad and dig recorder in the other end pocket and SD cards in the front pocket with room to spare.
I also removed the waist belt and the top handle. I may not need a waist belt at all as this bag settles well against my bod both in carrying position (above the hip) and working position (below the hip).

In the 2nd photo the camera cradle is shown w/o the cam (had to use it for the pics).

In the 3rd photo the 50-135 is on the left and an A35/2 and AF280T are on the right. Also my A50/1.4 fits on top of the 35, but makes for a very tight fit.

Also, the stock lens hoods for the 2 DA* lenses won't fit. I basically always use a lens hood and for quick action prefer a basic rubber hood anyway, so this is not an issue for me.

In general, I'm happy to say this bag does just what I need it to do very well. It's just about as small as possible, and fairly discreet, and still functional. The price was right, @US$75, and it's very well designed and constructed.

hth
Tenba makes some very good "professional" camera bags, but for the price you would think they would be water-proof. I have a Tenba camera bag that is similar to the one shown here except it's a little bigger and is vertical in size instead of horizontal. it can hold a large to medium DSLR camera and about 3-4 lenses depending on the size of the lenses.

I did a lot of research before I purchased this bag and finally bit-the-bullet on a bag that I thought would be indestructible. The bag does have great water resistant, rust-proof durable zippers which I love. There is also plenty of compartments where you can store things such as iPhones and SD/CF cards and what not. Not only that, the bag is so well padded that I think it would probably bounce if it ever hit the ground.

However, I was surprised to find out that the bag which cost me so much was not exactly water-proof, but "water resistant". I came with a Plastic bag that was stored in the back compartment that you needed to place over the bag in case of heavy down pours ? Another thing I didn't like about this bag, is that it sort of focused the weight of the lens and camera into a concentrated point that made the bag and all its contents seem heavier than they really were....

As far as toughness, after 5 years of light use, I actually had to staple the shoulder strap together so it would not come apart. I still have this bag and I'm guessing I wont be replacing it anytime soon, unless it starts really falling apart. To my surprise the camera bag sitting in my closet I like the most, is a Faux-leather Quantaray, yes Quantaray bag that I think I only paid $40 for. I thought this bag would quickly fall apart, but after 15+ years it still is going strong. This bag has gone everywhere with me, including overseas, in the rain, in extreme heat and except for few areas where the Faux leather wore off, it shows no signs of serious wear and tear.

All the zippers work, the shoulder straps as well as the Velcro padding inside the bag all are in good shape(knock on wood). The best thing I like about this bag, is that it distributes the weight evenly, so it doesn't feel like you are carrying an Anvil over your shoulder. It could be the horizontal shape of the bag has something to do with it...

Last edited by hjoseph7; 12-30-2020 at 04:15 PM.
12-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Tenba makes some very good "professional" camera bags, but for the price you would think they would be water-proof. I have a Tenba camera bag that is similar to the one shown here except it's a little bigger and is vertical in size instead of horizontal. it can hold a large to medium DSLR camera and about 3-4 lenses depending on the size of the lenses.

I did a lot of research before I purchased this bag and finally bit-the-bullet on a bag that I thought would be indestructible. The bag does have great water resistant, rust-proof durable zippers which I love. There is also plenty of compartments where you can store things such as iPhones and SD/CF cards and what not. Not only that, the bag is so well padded that I think it would probably bounce if it ever hit the ground.

However, I was surprised to find out that the bag which cost me so much was not exactly water-proof, but "water resistant". I came with a Plastic bag that was stored in the back compartment that you needed to place over the bag in case of heavy down pours ? Another thing I didn't like about this bag, is that it sort of concentrated the weight of the lens and camera into a concentrated point that made the bag and all its contents seem heavier than they really were....

As far as toughness, after 5 years of light use, I actually had to staple the shoulder strap together so it would not come apart. I still have this bag and I'm guessing I wont be replacing it anytime soon, unless it starts really falling apart. To my surprise the camera bag sitting in my closet I like the most, is a Faux-leather Quantaray, yes Quantaray bag that I think I only paid $40 for. I thought this bag would quickly fall apart, but after 15+ years it still is going strong. This bag has gone everywhere with me, including overseas, in the rain, in extreme heat and except for few areas where the Faux leather wore off, it shows no signs of serious wear and tear.

All the zippers work, the shoulder straps as well as the Velcro padding inside the bag all are in good shape(knock on wood). The best thing I like about this bag, is that it distributes the weight evenly, so it doesn't feel like you are carrying an Anvil over your shoulder. It could be the horizontal shape of the bag has something to do with it...
Oh my, a more than decade-old discussion of the long-discontinued Tenba waistpack that I still use. Mine has been pretty durable. The belt buckle worked nicely until I close my car door on it and cracked it; the replacement from Ebay has never worked as well. It came with a plastic cover, and if you don't use it, water will eventually penetrate, but I've used it during multi-hour rain without any ill effects. The bag has lost some of its "structure" over the years, especially the base, and the dividers have become floppier. The zippers seem to small to work for very long, but haven't broken yet, and work okay. An advantage to the bag for me is the relatively convenient attachment points for things like filter cases. I don't use the included neck strap, although if you put enough weight in the bag, you'd want to.
11-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I purchased this Amazon Basics Shoulder Bag to pack a few things for a road trip so I wouldn't have to take my backpack along. It was only $26.00! For me, it worked a treat.

The bag comes with dividers which will give it up to 5 compartments along with a zippered pocket in the lid and a zippered pocket on the front. There are also 2 zippered end pouches and straps on the bottom to carry a monopod or tripod. There are both carrying handles and a shoulder strap.

I managed to squeeze a K-3ii with a 35mm lens, along with an 85mm, an 18-135mm zoom, and a battery grip into my bag along with batteries, and other sundries in the pouches.

The bag is nicely designed and well-made. You may find other bags more to your liking, but for USD 30, this is pretty tough to beat.

The bag gets a Thumbs Up from me.
11-28-2021, 08:23 PM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
It was only $26.00! For me, it worked a treat.
At this price, you got your money's worth. It looks like a 20-30 years old Pentax bag that I have in my basement.