Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2007, 04:34 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Monopod/Tripod

Hi,
I have a really cheap tripod (which is also too short for me as I'm over 6ft tall) but I'm not sure whether to replace it or get a mono pod. I'm quite tempted by the monopod option as it's easier to travel with (I'm going to america in a couple of weeks). I don't like the bulk and the inconvenience (setting up) of a tripod, but without real experience of using a monopod (or a tripod that much) I wanted your opinions.

The counter argument, of course, is the lack of stability with a monopod. I'm not a short guy I'm wondering whether a monopod my height will be wobble and also how short (length ways) it will be when folded up. No doubt I should go to a camera shop and try them out but there isn't a good one locally, so I wanted to have some ideas of what I should consider/look for before I go to a shop because I will probably have to buy it there and then.

Thanks.

06-14-2007, 06:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One thing for certain....neither a tripod nor a monopod is a substitute for the other. They both have their uses. I carry a travel tripod with me if I foresee an absolute need for it. If I just need a little boost to stability and won't be doing long exposures, I more readily grab my monopod. The fact that it is easier to tote around also makes me more likely to take it along and put it to use. With the K100D and its shake reduction, I can usually get along just fine without it. I tend to take it along for my rangefinders or TLR. Usually, using the monopod and letting the self-timer fire the shutter provides all the stability I need in all except night-time shooting.
06-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your opinions. I guess I will get both, but for now can I have some advice on monopods? Are there any stand out brands? I see plenty of threads and advice about tripods around but not monopods.
06-22-2007, 03:45 AM   #4

Monopod/tripod

I have a cheap monopod, but have read that Adorama markets a version of an old Linhof that is supposed to be very good-but a little pricey-I believe about $90.

06-23-2007, 03:19 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've changed my mind I'm going for a tripod now anyway. Probably Giottos...hmmm still need to look more lol.