Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Oof. Pricey. What power source do they use?
They have 2 lithium rechargeable batteries with heat control on the battery plus 2 chargers. the main expense is from the battery and charger. I debated about the price, but since i'm stuck in chigago this winter they seemed worth it to have warm hands and be able to operate camera with them on. Can be worn inside heavy gloves also for xtra warmth. They are very toasty. If anyone is interested:

go to:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3912534&cp=&sr=1&...entPage=search

add item to cart

enter this code TSA99KN

you get the gloves for $113 plus free shipping

Last edited by ivoire; 12-19-2009 at 09:38 AM.
12-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
Rab Phantom Grip. They are pretty much perfect, for a British winter at least
12-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Go to an outdoor sports store (like REI in the States or MEC in Canada) with your camera. Try on lots of different gloves and see how well you can work the controls with them on. You want the thickest glove that still allows you to accurately work the camera, which probably won't actually be very thick and will depend entirely on your own hand size and the cut of the glove. You also want snug, but not to the point of reducing circulation.

A good material to try out is Gore Windstopper fleece, which gives you the thin and lightweight benefit of fleece but has a windproof (and water resistant) membrane sandwiched inside. This makes a huge difference for warmth. I ended up with some North Face Windstopper gloves with a rubber pattern laminated to the palm and fingers which work great for me.

One more thing: since you want a really good fit (snug but not too tight) and fingers are so sensitive, try on different "versions" of the same kind and size of glove. There's enough variation in the manufacturing tolerances that two "brand X medium" will fit slightly differently.

Jos
Vancouver, BC
12-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i use Deckhand Gloves which are original made for sailing
can recommand this company Gill Marine, Jackets, Smocks, Salopettes, Trousers, Shorts, Wetsuits, Drysuits, Harness, Gloves, Sunglasses

they do have different versions
i found the one with cropped 2 fingers works best for photography
you dont have to take them off while shooting

the outside is made out off strech fabic, so they fit perfect and very tide
inside it's leather, so you have perfect grip
and they are very strong build, made for hard work on a sailing boat
can handle even saltwater
but they are not waterproof

i use them for bicyclerides as well

12-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Excellent, everyone. Noted. Can't justify external power down here, but it's a nagging worry for if we can go to climates I generally fnd more homey. For that eventuality, I will be happy enough to get some rechargeable gloves. And socks.
12-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #36

I like the Sears/Craftsman mechanics gloves.The full fingered ones are really nice, but they also have ones that have three fingers shortened and exposed. The full fingered ones are decent, I put in a new intake manifold gasket in my truck in freezing temperatures last year with them, so I would assume they are good enough for photography.

Insulation shouldn't be a concern. Keep your hands dry, and keep the wind off of them, and they'll stay warm enough.
12-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Windproof cross-country skiing gloves for extended outings above 0, and neoprene insulated ice-climbing gloves for anything below. (The second ones can be expensive, but I'm a climber, so I already have them.)

Having a wool toplayer with thumb-loops also really helps. These rock (and their fashion photography rocks too!).

12-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #38
MGV

I have used a set of glove liners with gripy fingers with a pair of wool fingerless gloves (get a slightly larger pair to fit over the liners). Both from REI.
12-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got this mitten glove-liner combo a few days ago. It works great for backcountry skiing.
http://www.burton.com/mens-snowboard-gloves-mitts-under-mitts-gore-tex-under...s-gloves-mitts
The mitts have elastic loops which you slip over your wrists so the mitts stay attached to you even when you’ve slipped them off your glove-clad hands. Usually your ski poles will stay attached to your mitts too—how convenient! The gloves are thin, so my old hands are only good for ~3 minutes of shooting in 25 degree weather--I could get warmer, but still thin gloves, I suppose.
01-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Light Mountain Hardwear gloves with windstopping technology. They're thin, deceptively warm and water repellant to a point. Get some with silicon/rubber grippies on fingertips for no-slip handling of gear. In extreme cold, I wear Under Armor liners under them. Great solution. I mountain and road bike so for those that recommend cycling gloves, I find the windstoppers (with UA liners in extreme cold) a warmer and more dexterous solution. I also carry some of those heat packs in my pockets for between setups.
01-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
3-use "whole hand" biking gloves. Not as warm, but warm enough for short outings, and with good grip usually.
That's my glove of choice when it gets to be below 0c (32f). These will typically keep me warm to -20c (-4f) and beyond. It also helps that I'm usually biking when I'm out taking pictures

If it gets colder than that, then I wear one Carhartt winter work glove on my left hand, but I still use the cycling glove on my right for operating the camera.

I don't know about other Pentax cameras, but the K-7 is surprisingly easy to operate even with big gloves on. I've done it with both hands covered in thick winter gloves. I have to be a little more careful about pressing single buttons, but I've never accidentally deleted an image or anything.
01-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Just purchased a set of fleece mittens. The tops of the mittens and thumb can be pulled back to reveal fingerless gloves. Better yet, tiny magnets embedded in the fabric help hold the mitten part (and thumb cover) in place when they are folded back.

EMS Men's Convertible Boundary Mitts - Eastern Mountain Sports

I haven't used them to take photos yet, but should do the trick.

And another trick learned from cold-weather motorcycling....when you get cold your body starts to reduce circulation to your extremities in order to keep your core warm. Repeated flexing of fingers tells your body to send warm blood to your hands. Works on cold feet too!
01-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #43

It is currently 34 degrees C here in Australia at the moment so the need for gloves is minimal at the moment. However when winter does roll back around, or I head for southern NZ ( I always arrive there in time for a cold snap for some reason regardless of season), I have a neoprene glove that is lined with Thinsulate, a 3M product that I can swear by. Glove is by a no-name company that was found while scrounging in a camping store closing down sale. So can not provide much detailed info on them.
01-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

silk liner gloves

I use silk liner gloves, and if it's below freezing regular ski gloves over them. The liner gloves are thin and warm enough to work well operating my camera down to about 0 degrees F. Below that I stay inside anyway! I have the outer gloves attached to my jacket with lanyards, I just slip them off for picture taking and then back on. The silk liners have several benefits:
thin yet warm
relatively inexpensive (spend money on the outer gloves)
flexible enough to operate all of my K20D's buttons, levers dials, even the smallest.
The only con is that they aren't terribly robust, I need to replace them every other winter.

edit: I have to mention that as a young man I frost bit my hands and managed to destroy a lot of their abilty to withstand cold weather. I am now very careful with them, keeping them warm and dry during winter shooting is a big priority.

NaCl(can be found at camping goods stores like campmor, cabelas etc)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 01-08-2010 at 05:52 AM. Reason: added frost bite statement
01-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
edit: I have to mention that as a young man I frost bit my hands and managed to destroy a lot of their abilty to withstand cold weather. I am now very careful with them, keeping them warm and dry during winter shooting is a big priority.
I did that to my ears when I was 16. Excruciatingly painful experience that I never want to repeat. So I'm real anal now about keeping my extremities warm when I'm outside. But I never hesitate to go out, even when it's below 0f outside. I just bundle up real good

I just received my new camera backpack and tripod and it's a balmy 15f outside today. So I'm planning a mountain biking trip for this afternoon to take some pictures. Woohoo! Winter riding rules!