Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Thinking of using K20 in studio

So far we've been using Pentax as carry around bodies. But lately I've been thinking of putting some of our wonderful vintage lenses to work and so I wondered if anyone had any advice on a cost effective single and 3 point light setup that we might be able to start off with. Ideally we could start with a single source and move up from there(if need be).

Since we already have stands, unbrella's and the likes, I guess I'm thinking some decent remote flash's, expandable trigger/ reciever system.

I'd also like to to shoot beyond sync speed if possible.
I've been reading mixed comments about Pentax in this area, if someone cared to clarify this, that would be very helpful as well.

(Sorry folks, I edited the1/4000 statement, it was too missleading and didn't convey what I was asking properly).

Last edited by JohnBee; 12-17-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: edited for clarity and sarcasm failure!
12-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1/4000th = HSS = only PTTL hotshoe flashes
HSS is a hack for not having enough power. If you have a good studio strobe, you won't need it...
12-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'd also like to achieve 1/4000th with lighting if possible. I've been reading mixed comments about Pentax in this area, if someone cared to clarify this, that would be very helpful as well.
To be clear, your shutter speed won't be 1/4000th. It'll just be irrelevant compared to the length of the flash pulse.
12-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What, John, do you want to capture in the studio that moves so fast that you need 1/4000sec to freeze the action?

12-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What, John, do you want to capture in the studio that moves so fast that you need 1/4000sec to freeze the action?
Hi,

I should have been more realistic with that statement.
I was implying that I'd like a setup that would allow me to shoot beyond sync speed. For none other than added flexibility with some of my lenses under various lighting conditions(for example) or if I took things outside, which I'd like to try also.

Sorry to mislead with that statement, I used the max shutter rating to get a point across but when I reread it, I realize that it does comes across exactly as it reads.
Very misleading. I don't think I've ever seen max shutter speed shooting under any circumstances(that I can remember).
But I would very much like to have a setup that would allow me to shoot beyond sync speed though if that is at all possible with the K20D.

Last edited by JohnBee; 12-17-2009 at 08:33 PM.
12-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just to update, I've been going through several posts regarding HSS on the K20 and it seems as though quite a few people have been asking many of the same questions. And many of them revolve around the issue of motion blur.

Still, I haven't been able to find a clear answer on how the K20D can do HSS an whether or not it can accomplish this with triggers(Flash Waves II trigger perhaps?).

ie. does this mean there is overhead left in the shutter curtain(s)? is blackout still an issue and assuming the answer is yes, at what speed does does it appear? Would it be possible to match Nikon 1/250?

On the alt side of things, though studio strobes and ambient control should work through most situations, I don't know how useful they would be under natural lighting situations(outside etc.).

Anyone have ideas or suggestions for this?
12-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Still, I haven't been able to find a clear answer on how the K20D can do HSS an whether or not it can accomplish this with triggers(Flash Waves II trigger perhaps?).
The answer is NO