Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generic battery replacement for D-Li90 - advice

I think I have read a similar question in this forum earlier, but could not find it when looking. I am looking for an extra battery for my K-7, and in Norway original battery is exxpensiiiive..... So I was searching for generic ones and found a 7.2V 1560mAh from Hähnel and a 7.4V 1860mAh with no brand. The latter one is the cheapest.

Will the 7.4V be a risk, as the original is 7.2V? The last thing I want to do is to do damage to my K-7.

12-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would go for the lower voltage one just to be safe.
12-20-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
kyc
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Voltage

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I would go for the lower voltage one just to be safe.
I had the same dilemma and ordered from bestbatt a generic D-LI90 replacement that was listed as 7.2V but received one that was 7.4V listed on the battery itself. So lesson #1 for me is you can't trust the website specs completely.

However, I took out my voltmeter and measured the genuine Pentax D-LI90 that came with my K-7 and it measured 7.4V unloaded. So lesson #2 is the listed voltage has a tolerance range.

With my old K100D I had been using lithium rechargeable RCR-V3s so to avoid possibility of damaging the camera I would measure the voltage every time to make sure. I think that's the safest thing to do. As long as you get the same voltage as the genuine D-LI90 you should be okay.

--KYC
12-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I last looked at power

a long time ago.

But isn't the voltage under load the critical factor here? I dimly recall, perhaps correctly, that some battery assemblies (Li-ion) included a resistance arrangement to keep the voltage presented to the device in while in operation to an appropriate level. That specifically had to accommodate the varying internal resistance.

I think Canon chooses not to recommend lithium batteries in P&S owing to variances among batteries and over time in internal resistance/voltage under load rather than open circuit voltage out of the pack. Alkalines, with the same nominal open voltage as lithium (~1.5V), were acceptable although Canon recommends NiMH. Can't go too far wrong as long as the nominal open voltage starts at 1.2V.

12-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In case you will ever consider to buy the grip, don't buy a replacement D-LI90, get the grip.
The grip handles standard AA type batteries, or an extra D-LI90.
Besides getting extra battery capacity, the grip handles the camera better with large lenses and gives you additional switches for portrait mode shooting.

I have the grip and enough NiMh batteries for a very... long trip.
12-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
Inactive Account

adorama have good copies li90

bought a set about two months ago for 25 bucks they last about 85-90% of the orginal li90 but if you have the grip you can take at least 1500 shots no prob