Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery grip for K-7 $54.77

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

while I browsing dealextreme.com for some camera stuff, I saw this in the 'new arrival' section:

DealExtreme: $54.77 External Battery Grip for Pentax K7 DSLR

maybe useful for those who had K-7... but again, those who can afford a K-7 shouldn't have any problem getting the original one.

can I post link like this? if not, please remove...

Lee

12-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those who own the K-7 doesn't mean they wouldn't have a problem getting the original grip. It is the fact that someone could have saved up their hard-earned money just to get the K-7, so specifically speaking, someone who has the K-7 doesn't automatically make them rich. Someone who owns an Acura RL oppose to someone who owns a Honda Civic, doesn't make that person who owns the RL any richer than the one who owns the Civic.

In the other hand, yes that grip does look like it's good for the pricing, especially with PayPal acceptance which increases the sense of security.
12-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

DealExtreme is a good company to deal with. They are trustworthy and have a fair return policy. But that doesn't mean they always sell great-quality products. They are a reputable wholesaler that lets people worldwide get their hands on stuff striaght from (mostly) Chinese manufacturers. Many of these things are knock-offs of popular brands, and the quality of these copies can vary greatly. Some are quite good, and some (especially electronics) can be poor.

For example, I have one of their LED flashlights, which for all practical purposes is a clone of a Surefire 6P. It's a very well constructed body, and I absolutely love it. It was $15, instead of $75 for the Surefire. While the housing is a nicely machined piece of metal, they used a LED unit and reflector that I wasn't too pleased with. The light was a little too blue and the beam pattern had a couple irritating dark rings. I ended up sourcing another style of lamp for a good price, and I have a great tactical flashlight I'm very happy with. But as it came from the factory, it was a mixed bag.

I also have several high-power laser pointers I bought from DX. I even have a 405nm violet laser that only cost $20. These lasers are good because they're decently-built, and quite powerful. But they're still examples of bad quality control because they're *supposed* to be 5-mW lasers. They aren't allowed to ship anything more powerful than 5-mW to the US, so that's as high power as you can order from this country. But, I knew that the odds were that I'd still get one that was more powerful, because all the ones they sell are about the same, and they just under-rate some of them and sell them as 5-mW even when they're not. The green and violet lasers I have are both clearly in the 30-mW range. The red may only be about 10. So I wanted a powerful laser, knew I couldn't get one sold as high-power, but also knew that if I ordered the weak one, it would likely arrive much brighter than it was supposed to. I was taking advantage of a known issue with their quality control.

In the end, I wouldn't knock anyone for wanting to give DX a try, but only if you can accept that your grip that costs 75% less may be missing some of the refinement of the genuine Pentax article. Maybe some tolerances aren't as tight...maybe the surface finish will noticeably not match that of the camera body. But hey...it's only $50, right?
12-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Those who own the K-7 doesn't mean they wouldn't have a problem getting the original grip. ...
It was suppose to be a joke~

12-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I received a genuine D-BG4 grip for Christmas, so now I'm in a slightly better position to speculate on the DX grip.

Based on the pictures on the DX website, it looks pretty much exactly the same. The shape of the outer shell is definitely identical. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's made in the same plant as the Pentax-branded article, using the same molds for the plastic parts. Maybe Pentax's supplier does a little direct-to-wholesaler business on the side...how much Pentax would care about this is a discussion for another thread.

Here's what all I can tell comparing the pictures to the grip in front of me:
  • The housing of the grip is visibly identical.

• It's hard to tell if the rubberized overlays on the grippy surfaces are identical. Doesn't quite look the same, but it could just be that the photograph is too poor to accurately reveal the texture. I'll say it could go either way on that one, but I'd expect a lower-quality material.

• The recessed holes for storing the contact covers from the grip and the camera look identical. Does this grip even have a protective cap?

• The screws on the top and bottom are all in the same place. This is no surprise, as it goes along with appearing to be cast from the same mold.

• Who knows about the electronics? Presumably it functions similarly, but there's no way to tell if it's got identical "guts" or merely equivalent ones.

• The battery trays look indistinguishable from the genuine ones (except lack of weather sealing, see below). The only possible difference might be that the screws in the DX version of the AAA tray look black, while the Pentax screws are silver. I can't say for sure if that's real or just an artifact of the lighting and angle of the photograph. Sort of insignificant anyway.

• The screen printing on the buttons isn't the same. It's a reasonably close facsimile, but the lettering and icons are just a bit different. That's where it most visibly becomes a cheap knock-off.

• The DX grip is missing all the weather-sealing visible on the mount side of the genuine grip. On the "real deal", various parts on the mounting face of the grip are surrounded by a foam rubber obviously meant to give the grip weather-resistant properties. The contact pin cluster, as well as the push-switch next to the pins, are ringed by foam rubber. That's missing on the DX photo. Similarly, the holes at the four corners of the grip's mounting face, as well as the oval depression next to one of the metal locating studs, are filled with foam rubber on the Pentax model. Not so for the DX model. Finally, the Pentax battery trays each have a foam seal around the surface which seats against the opening in the main grip housing, the DX trays don't So it's clear that while the Pentax grip is sealed well against dust and moisture...the DX grip doesn't provide the same protection.
So it looks and probably feels much the same as the real article. It looks a bit cheaper because of medicore label printing, and it won't have the same weather resistance as the genuine grip. But I must say that if I were buying one for myself (and hadn't been lucky enough to get one as a gift), I might be inclined to give the Deal Extreme model a go at 1/4 the price.

Last edited by aerodave; 12-26-2009 at 10:57 PM.
12-27-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, I ordered it, so I'll provide a mini-review when it comes in sometime in the future. The lack of weathersealing is not too big of a deal, and it's cheapness means it's cheap to experiment with!
12-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

Bonjour,

Dust- and water-sealing makes the real difference

I'm not going to save a few dollars on a grip and put my K-7 at risk

So I went for the real one

12-31-2009, 03:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
Well, I ordered it, so I'll provide a mini-review when it comes in sometime in the future. The lack of weathersealing is not too big of a deal, and it's cheapness means it's cheap to experiment with!
Looking forward to your review. Test out all features and all buttons if you will! I want to know if this grip works just as good as the original.
01-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm wondering if anyone who has ordered one of these has had it shipped yet. I ordered one a few days ago but the order status is still "waiting for supplier" and I'm leaving for vacation in 2 1/2 weeks and I'm hoping it'll make it in time!

I would, of course, prefer the genuine one but I've never used a battery grip regularly so I'm not sure if it'll like the ergonomics or not. I have found the K-7 to be a little shorter than I was used to on my K20D so I'm hoping the extra height of a grip will help.
01-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
I have found the K-7 to be a little shorter than I was used to on my K20D so I'm hoping the extra height of a grip will help.
yep, only reason I want a grip is to have somewhere for my little finger to go... I much preferred the K10D form factor. I'd be happy with a half height, non functioning grip!
01-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This may sound dumb, but...what does lack of weather sealing in a grip really matter? Unless you are in a driving rain where I suppose water could get on the contact pins, does missing it on the grip really make a big difference, or any difference at all?

Jason
01-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Check this one out...says it's weather resistant too...

Battery Grip Holder f Pentax PK K7 K-7 Camera as BG-K7 on eBay (end time 12-Jan-10 09:27:26 GMT)

Jason
01-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes, but based on the picture in that auction, that grip is also lacking the rubberized seals on the connector. Presumably, it's not sealed anywhere else either.

Just because it says so on the Internet doesn't make it true.
01-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Just an update for my grip... Still waiting. Either they're being slow, or it's so damn popular that they're having trouble filling orders...

Like I said earlier, I'll write a review (as best I can, as I don't have an OEM grip to compare it to), as soon as I get it, whenever that is.
01-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The eBay link looks like the usual cheapie "type 1" grip.

No update on my order either... I'm guessing that I won't get it in time for my trip! (Hopefully my Jinfinance focusing screen will!) Oh well... for the price, how can you go wrong? Even if I end up not liking it or upgrade to the OEM one, I will probably be able to resell it for nearly what I paid.