Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Third Party D-LI90 Batteries

I see there's a few different brands of D-LI90 batteries for the K7. I see some of them have higher mAh ratings than the official Pentax-branded ones... or at least that's what the manufacturer claims.

Does anyone have any experience with these off-brand batteries? Are they reliable? I'm planning to buy a battery grip for my K7, and I've noticed some "kits" that include a couple of extra batteries for just a few bucks more, but I'm thinking these are not the official Pentax-branded ones (since those cost like $40 each). I have nothing against 3rd-party batteries if they're reliable and work as advertised.

Thanks,

12-27-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can only speak to the K10 and K20D batteries. I bought 4 of the "Off-brand" batteries. They do not give the same number of shots or last as long on a full charge no matter what the MaH shows on the battery. They also are not the same quality. They fit fine and are safe in my experience but they are not as good.

In less than a year, 2 of them died completely and the other 2 are at about 50% capacity from new. I've since switched to Pentax (I have 8) only batteries and they work just fine. In fact I have 2 that are now 3 years old for the K10D and they are still going strong.

So you can save money but don't expect the same performance.
12-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Frank,
I've been using 3rd party d-li90 for a couple of months. Works as advertised. I've got it from bestbatt.com(?) for $18 USD.
Good luck,
12-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
In less than a year, 2 of them died completely and the other 2 are at about 50% capacity from new. I've since switched to Pentax (I have 8) only batteries and they work just fine. In fact I have 2 that are now 3 years old for the K10D and they are still going strong.

So you can save money but don't expect the same performance.
Thanks for the feedback. My research seems to be showing the same conclusion. I guess there's a reason why Pentax batteries cost more.

The battery grip costs $192 by itself, and $230 with what I think are a couple of cheap off-brand batteries (on Amazon/Cameta Camera). Now that I think about it. that's actually a little expensive for cheap batteries.

I think I'll stick to Eneloop NiMH rechargeables in the grip and save up a little more for a Pentax-branded battery.

Oh and I was wrong, all the off-brand batteries actually have a lower mAh rating than the Pentax ones. Pentax rates theirs at 1860 mAh, while the others range from 1550 to 1700 mAh.

Last edited by GoremanX; 12-27-2009 at 11:01 AM.
12-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Considering how much Pentax charges for their batteries, I wish they were Lithium Polymer rather than Lithium Ion. The Lithium Polymer battery in my portable media player has been incredible. Makes me wonder why more manufacturers don't use them. I suppose I should just be happy that we're not still using NiCd... now if only Pentax could do something about that ridiculously long charging time...
12-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been using third party batteries for a few years without issue. I just picked up a pair of 1650mAh for $8 + shipping.
01-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've got one for my K7 and so far it's been fine. Haven't used either it or the original enough yet to have a strong viewpoint, but the eBay special seems to last as long as the original.

01-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have 2 genuine Pentax and 2 cheapo ($9 ea.) knock-offs for my 2 K10D bodies.

It's been 2.5 years. In terms of keeping charge and of the number of shots per charge, I still can't tell the difference.

Same experience with the 2 knock-offs for my Canon G5. I don't use it as much as I used to, but they (1 Canon and 2 knock-offs) are still going strong for 5 years.
01-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I have 2 pentax and 6 off-brand batteries for my K10D and K20D. just ordered two more off-brand from adorama (they're having a "battery blow out sale"). no issues. no regrets. knock on wood.
01-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by veezchick Quote
I have 2 pentax and 6 off-brand batteries for my K10D and K20D. just ordered two more off-brand from adorama (they're having a "battery blow out sale"). no issues. no regrets. knock on wood.
Same here.
01-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #11
Forum Member

Actually you can get Lithium Polymer types if you know where to look. I recently bought two NP400 (DLi50) 3950 mAh Lithium Polymers for my GX-20. They took at least twice as long to charge, as they should do at that capacity. I've got one in the camera and the other one in the grip. I'm testing them at the moment to see how long they hold up. I think Lithium Polymer has a faster self discharge than Lithium Ion. The supplier also has DLi90s for the K-7/K-5. They work out at about 7 or 8 Euros each plus shipping I think, which is very reasonable if they are as good as they seem. PM me if you want more info.
09-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
P-Y

Hello,

Being new member, I can't PM you right now... so where did you get them ? How well do they compare to the pentax ones ?

Thanks !

PY

QuoteOriginally posted by markac Quote
Actually you can get Lithium Polymer types if you know where to look. I recently bought two NP400 (DLi50) 3950 mAh Lithium Polymers for my GX-20. They took at least twice as long to charge, as they should do at that capacity. I've got one in the camera and the other one in the grip. I'm testing them at the moment to see how long they hold up. I think Lithium Polymer has a faster self discharge than Lithium Ion. The supplier also has DLi90s for the K-7/K-5. They work out at about 7 or 8 Euros each plus shipping I think, which is very reasonable if they are as good as they seem. PM me if you want more info.